Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Express - well known for being right.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Only just realised the WC has been given its own subforum. Thank you, mods!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed , annoying having the two mixed up. together.

Firmino being linked, not terribly convincingly but interesting to see if anything develops, I can't believe the club will sign him, Shaqiri and Lallana, so could be just a way to spook Soton into accepting a bid of less than 30 million!
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Good work mods. Hopefully this forum will be no more mental than usual!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the boys in the England squad are giving a good account of themselves tonight.

Even Glen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Think the boys in the England squad are giving a good account of themselves tonight.

Even Glen.

Johnson had a really good game and shut up a few doubters tonight.
    Im a Liverpool fan 1st and foremost, not really fussed about England except Liverpool players.
    Gerrard was abit rubbish tonight though, but I blame Hodgson for holding him back. He should be allowed to dictate and playmake but Hodgson wants them 10-20 yards further back. I know heat was a factor but I reckon its how they would have set up in a normal heat.
    Look how we got to Arsenal on the halfway line and got in their face. Hodgson wanted that 15 yards back. Gerrard suffered as a consequence.
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad Sterling is ours, sky's the limit for that boy.
    Forum Member
    Gerrard wasn't great, but I don't think he has the necessary help in the England team. With the diamond at LFC he has two midfield runners like Hendo and Allen running box-to-box and he can just sit and dictate play, like Pirlo last night with De Rossi and Verratti either side of him; on every occasion Sterling went past him he didn't even bother chasing because he's Pirlo, they have other midfielders assigned to do that.

Sterling though... I can't say enough about him. Sturridge played well. Henderson did alright but again it's a different role to the one he has at LFC - the shackles are very much on. Johnson was just lucky Italy tried attacking down his side about once and that it was Chiellini trying to take him on.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard was poor last night - he's not in the same class as Xavi, Pirlo and Alonso at dictating the tempo of the game. Too many times he tried to switch the play when easy one two's would have been better.

Johnson was the same as he has been for Liverpool, some good play followed by some really poor play.

Hendo was okay - they're slagging him off in the main thread but I thought he did okay.

Sturridge was a menace, gave their defence a torrid time.

Sterling was immense, man of the match for England, tired but so did the rest of them.

As for the Italians- thought they were quite brilliant in midfield and up front. When I saw Palleta on the team sheet I thought I recoginsed him, thought he was Argentinian but they then mentioned his got dual nationality now. I only remember the one game he played for us though - the 6-3 pasting from Arsenal where Baptista scored 4.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paletta played (and scored in) the 4-3 CC win over Reading that season. (My first time at Anfield)

I didn't know til last night that he had dual nationality.
    Forum Member
    Some nice words from Daniele De Rossi after last night's game:
    'It is never normal for me to play against Gerrard,' De Rossi said after the game. 'It always gets me emotional, I won’t deny it.
    'Of course, on the field you’ve got to get stuck in there, but it is always a pleasure and an honour. He’s also a very nice guy, always very approachable.
    'I cheered on Liverpool until the end, but they lost the Premier League title in an incredible way.
    'Players like Gerrard, Andrea Pirlo, Frank Lampard, Xavi or Iniesta never go past the apex of their careers.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a shmoozer :D
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    If Vermaelen leaves Arsenal for Man Utd, I think that'll put them (Arsenal) right back in the chase for Lovren. I always saw him as a Wenger type of player and Arsenal can outspend us if Southampton start getting silly with the price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsenal are interested in Spurs Jan Vertonghen are they not?

Speaking of full backs, impressed with Sakho last night, one error in the second half but he worked hard to stop it giving Honduras a clean shot at goal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the match last night I wondered if this was our Sakho. Played really well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did everyone think of Shaqiri yesterday? I didn't watch the whole game, only bits here and there. Clark Carlisle commentating said he either does something brilliant or awful, doesn't keep the ball moving by keeping possession and playing a simple ball, however from the little I saw, that's exactly what he was doing. His crossing was poor though.

As for other players we could go in for, I know it's wishful thinking on most occasions but the Italian RB looked miles better than Johnson. Daley Blind of Holland at LB is another decent looking player.
    Forum Member
    Shaqiri was hit and miss. Took up some good positions inbetween the lines but I didn't feel he used the ball very well when he had it. I look forward to seeing more of him.

Two right backs have impressed me so far. Darmian (Italy) and Aurier (Ivory Coast). Both looked better than Johnson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaqiri is in a difficult position, a bit part player for Bayern who is then asked to be Switzerlands main creator, also he spent too much of the game marooned on the right wing. He's a No 10 really.

Swiss left back was very good. As was the Italian right winger against England, maybe predictably LFC has been linked but it's nonsense I'm sure, Dele Alli bid is true though.
    Forum Member
    A fairly difficult start for us this coming season, but not as bad as BR's first season! A less fear-inducing Christmas period too.

2014-15 LFC fixture list

August

16 - Southampton (H)
    23 - Manchester City (A)
    30 - Tottenham Hotspur (A)

September

13 - Aston Villa (H)
    20 - West Ham United (A)
    24 - Capital One Cup third round
    27 - Everton (H)

October

4 - West Bromwich Albion (H)
    18 - Queens Park Rangers (A)
    25 - Hull City (H)

November

1 - Newcastle United (A)
    8 - Chelsea (H)
    22 - Crystal Palace (A)
    29 - Stoke City (H)

December

2 - Leicester City (A)
    6 - Sunderland (H)
    13 - Manchester United (A)
    20 - Arsenal (H)
    26 - Burnley (A)
    28 - Swansea City (H)

January

1 - Leicester City (H)
    3 - FA Cup third round
    10 - Sunderland (A)
    17 - Aston Villa (A)
    31 - West Ham United (H)

February

7 - Everton (A)
    10 - Tottenham Hotspur (H)
    21 - Southampton (A)
    28 - Manchester City (H)

March

3 - Burnley (H)
    14 - Swansea City (A)
    21 - Manchester United (H)

April

4 - Arsenal (A)
    11 - Newcastle United (H)
    18 - Hull City (A)
    25 - West Bromwich Albion (A)

May

2 - Queens Park Rangers (H)
    9 - Chelsea (A)
    16 - Crystal Palace (H)
    24 - Stoke City (A)
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our fixture list for the 2014/15 season:

16.08.14 SOUTHAMPTON (H)
    23.08.14 MANCHESTER CITY (A)
    30.08.14 TOTTENHAM (A)
    13.09.14 ASTON VILLA (H)
    20.09.14 WEST HAM (A)
    27.09.14 EVERTON (H)
    04.10.14 WEST BROM (H)
    18.10.14 QPR (A)
    25.10.14 HULL (H)
    01.11.14 NEWCASTLE (A)
    08.11.14 CHELSEA (H)
    22.11.14 CRYSTAL PALACE (A)
    29.11.14 STOKE (H)
    02.12.14 LEICESTER (A)
    06.12.14 SUNDERLAND (H)
    13.12.14 MANCHESTER UNITED (A)
    20.12.14 ARSENAL (H)

26.12.14 BURNLEY (A)
    28.12.14 SWANSEA (H)
    01.01.15 LEICESTER (H)
    10.01.15 SUNDERLAND (A)
    17.01.15 ASTON VILLA (A)
    31.01.15 WEST HAM (H)
    07.02.15 EVERTON (A)
    10.02.15 TOTTENHAM (H)

21.02.15 SOUTHAMPTON (A)
    28.02.15 MANCHESTER CITY (H)
    03.03.15 BURNLEY (H)
    14.03.15 SWANSEA (A)
    21.03.15 MANCHESTER UNITED (H)
    04.04.15 ARSENAL (A)

11.04.15 NEWCASTLE (H)
    18.04.15 HULL (A)
    25.04.15 WEST BROM (A)
    02.05.15 QPR (H)
    09.05.15 CHELSEA (A)
    16.05.15 CRYSTAL PALACE (H)
    24.05.15 STOKE (A)
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairly happy with the fixtures, tough start but most of the rest of the fixtures are nicely spread out. Oct/Nov is decent and Dec/Jan is brilliant. February will be difficult though.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously dates will be changed for TV, but our cup run including CL group matches will look like this around the league fixtures. A few tricky ones that Rodgers will have to balance well... September/October are quite congested!

September 13: Aston Villa (H)
    September 16/17: CL Match 1
    September 20: West Ham (A)
    September 23/24: League Cup R3
    September 27: Everton (H)
    October 1/2: CL Match 2
    October 4: West Brom (H)

October 18: QPR (A)
    October 21/22: CL Match 3
    October 25: Hull (H)
    October 28/29: League Cup R4
    November 1: Newcastle (A)
    November 4/5: CL Match 4
    November 8: Chelsea (H)

November 22: Crystal Palace (A)
    November 25/26: CL Match 5
    November 29: Stoke (H)

December 6: Sunderland (H)
    December 9/10: CL Match 6
    December 13: Man Utd (A)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad start to the season - Southampton and Tottenham both have new managers, hopefully we can take advantage of that. February looks a killer month and we're playing Chelsea 3rd game from last again, only this time its at Stamford Bridge.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    Not a bad start to the season - Southampton and Tottenham both have new managers, hopefully we can take advantage of that. February looks a killer month and we're playing Chelsea 3rd game from last again, only this time its at Stamford Bridge.
    And Crystal Palace 2nd game from last again, but this time at Anfield.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    In relation to the CL games, it hasn't turned out that badly really. Of the six post CL matches only two are away from home ( WH in September and MU in December) . If we can catch a break and have that CL match 6 at home prior to going to Old Trafford, then everything will have worked out as well as we could have hoped for. Knowing our luck though, that game will be a vital one away in Moscow, or Madrid, or Rome...
This discussion has been closed.