Options

Where has it all gone wrong then in Europe

richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
After the disaster in Europe with all the remaining Premier league teams going out of European competition, so many unanswered questions

Is the Premier League as overrated as some say? Are the likes of the Bundesliga and La Liga just miles ahead?

Any other reasons, please feel free to respond and maybe have a rant and let off some steam

Comments

• Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Europa league is treated as a joke by most English teams and supporters. Unfortunate but there it is. PL position is far more important due to the money.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have felt for a few years that once other countries could match english clubs physically a lot of the strength of English sides physically was gone.

They have matched this and at the business end of tournaments these better teams technical levels are way better than english teams also.

Arsenal have the technical ability for europe but not the tactical game, which is where a lot of English teams fall down at the later stages.

The demise of Man United in Europe has also been a problem and Man City are nowhere near good enough at this level.

Liverpool also suffered by being absent from Europe for a few seasons

The middle ranking countries ukraine, Switzerland etc also have no fears playing English sides now.

How many times have the UK media told us Basle have been rubbish last few years for example
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    The Europa league is treated as a joke by most English teams and supporters. Unfortunate but there it is. PL position is far more important due to the money.

I can never understand why the Europa League is treated as a joke, it is a European trophy and to win any type of European trophy is a major achievement, all the other countries across Europe treat it seriously, i don't know why we as a footballing nation think we are so special as to disregard a major European competition.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I don't think English sides are that strong at the minute bar maybe Chelsea and their opponents are strangely a little underrated in this country sometimes and probably will be until they win the Champions League themselves. The English sides aren't weak, they still have 4-6 of the top so many in Europe, but the top few European sides (Bayern, Real, Barca) are a bit ahead IMO.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yet winning the Europa League will get them an automatic place in the champions league where they once again can field a weakened team to try and ensure a top 4 place the following season.

I think the mentality is somewhat off and this need for the top 4 finish can't keep being viewed as success. Especially when you consider the squad some of these EPL teams have.and the amount of money being thrown their way ... their advantage should show on the pitch but it doesn't.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    The worrying thing is that a couple more years of this and we may well lose the 4th CL place.
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually wouldn't be bothered if everyone stopped talking about a race for fourth as if it is somehow on par with the chase for the top spot.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually wouldn't be bothered if everyone stopped talking about a race for fourth as if it is somehow on par with the chase for the top spot.

Well for some clubs, it's exactly that ..
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well it would just be the race for 3rd instead. Plus it would mean financial catastrophe each year for at least one club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well for some clubs, it's exactly that ..

I think even Arsenal fans are probably sick of it.
    Well it would just be the race for 3rd instead. Plus it would mean financial catastrophe each year for at least one club.

It would be the race for third but it would be a bigger ask, which is the point. Not really bothered about it causing financial catastrophe. I'm sure the multi-billion pound TV deal will help with that particular blow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think even Arsenal fans are probably sick of it.

It would be the race for third but it would be a bigger ask, which is the point. Not really bothered about it causing financial catastrophe. I'm sure the multi-billion pound TV deal will help with that particular blow.

Glad that you're not bothered about English clubs getting into financial trouble.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not an issue yet but they probably have two years to fix it before they might lose a place

With the draws today there is going to be a fair chance of German and italian in the semis.

Think we will have a better idea of where england is in a years time as the last good year will have dropped off the co-efficients and we will know if there is a fair possibility of losing a cl place

Although if it goes down to 3 that could wipe a lot of money off future tv deals
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Premier League is over rated for sure. It's exciting to watch but doesn't reward technical skill and organisation which ultimately is what is needed to win European tournaments. La Liga has two exceptional clubs and is not as competitive as the PL, where a bottom half club can beat a top team. The Bundesliga is similarly less competitive.

Is there anything deep down to worry about? I don't think so. Arsenal lost because they threw away the home leg. Man City had to beat Barcelona and Messi, a tough ask for any team. Chelsea lost to PSG on away goals. Nothing there to indicate a deep malaise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    The Premier League is over rated for sure. It's exciting to watch but doesn't reward technical skill which ultimately is what is needed to win European tournaments. La Liga has two exceptional clubs and is not as competitive as the PL, where a bottom half club can beat a top team.

Is there anything deep down to worry about? I don't think so. Arsenal lost because they threw away the home leg. Man City had to beat Barcelona and Messi, a tough ask for any team. Chelsea lost to PSG on away goals. Nothing there to indicate a deep malaise.

But until a few years ago we cleaned up in Europe, what has changed since then?
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you would have seen a better performance from us (Tottenham) against Fiorientina in the second leg had we not had the cup final with Chelsea only three days later. We quite clearly had our minds on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad that you're not bothered about English clubs getting into financial trouble.

Is there a reason why I should?
    Is there any evidence one less Champions League place would cause it?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But until a few years ago we cleaned up in Europe, what has changed since then?
    It comes down to fine margins in individual matches. Maybe our playing style has been found out.

More English clubs used to get further, but we didn't clean up every year. Far from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason why I should?
    Is there any evidence one less Champions League place would cause it?

You want evidence that a big club not getting into the CL would cause them to lose millions? Really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It comes down to fine margins in individual matches. Maybe our playing style has been found out.

More English clubs used to get further, but we didn't clean up every year. Far from it.

Perhaps 'cleaned up' was a bit over the top, but for several years we had teams either in the final or semis. Didn't we have 3 out the 4 semi finallists a few years back?
  • Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Premier League is over rated for sure. It's exciting to watch but doesn't reward technical skill and organisation which ultimately is what is needed to win European tournaments. La Liga has two exceptional clubs and is not as competitive as the PL, where a bottom half club can beat a top team. The Bundesliga is similarly less competitive.

They may not be consistently as good as the big two, but, Atletico Madrid are a top top side with a brilliant manager. They proved to better than Chelsea last year and have gone further than them this year also. I think they would have beaten City and Arsenal also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want evidence that a big club not getting into the CL would cause them to lose millions? Really?

You said financial trouble. Its obvious that they would lose millions.

It left Manchester United in so much trouble that they have broke the British transfer record and spent around 70m on other players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You said financial trouble. Its obvious that they would lose millions.

At least one of the 'Big 4' or 2 of the Big 5 if you count Liverpool would miss out on CL qualification every year. The pressure to make sure you were top 3 would become even more intense but sadly no I can't provide evidence of something that hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shall we just throw Tottenham in as well, while we are employing complete guesswork?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shall we just throw Tottenham in as well, while we are employing complete guesswork?

Yes why not.

You only have to look at Man Utd to see the impact of a year without CL football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, post 22 explains that.