Options

PFA Awards..

Comments

• Options
    -Bandit--Bandit- Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    They are good players who've done well though Ward-Prowse is a big reach in particular. The rest, I don't disagree. But the point is that I can't see how any of those you've mentioned have a huge case over and above those who have been picked.

I'd put Danny Ings in that same bracket as those you've mentioned too, with the same logic applicable to him.

ings is a good call...

i just reckon it's tougher to shine and stand out in the premier league when you are not surrounded by so much quality like those at the lesser clubs... i'm not knocking those on the list, all top players, but i think there should be more recognition for those who have been every bit as consistent, and have been stand-out performers week in week out for those teams that find it a tougher slog week in week out..
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    -Bandit- wrote: »
    ings is a good call...

i just reckon it's tougher to shine and stand out in the premier league when you are not surrounded by so much quality like those at the lesser clubs... i'm not knocking those on the list, all top players, but i think there should be more recognition for those who have been every bit as consistent, and have been stand-out performers week in week out for those teams that find it a tougher slog week in week out..

This is a debate (interesting one imo) that pops up every year

It's difficult to measure it relatively alright
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Format is wrong in that I don't think you should be in both categories.

Hazard should win it a canter.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    ings is a good call...

Maybe, but there have been many examples of players who find it easier to perform when they're a big fish in a small pond, then they move to a bigger team where the pressure is on to perform at the same standard every week and they struggle.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Do players get to vote for the same player in both categories? I'm guessing no, and people are sort of alternating with putting their second choice in the young PFA category. In which case I'm not sure how you'd counter that, besides maybe simply discounting those who are in the PFA category regardless of how many have voted for them.
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Do players get to vote for the same player in both categories? I'm guessing no, and people are sort of alternating with putting their second choice in the young PFA category. In which case I'm not sure how you'd counter that, besides maybe simply discounting those who are in the PFA category regardless of how many have voted for them.

The simple answer is to make young player an under 21 award. It is faintly absurd that at 24 Hazard is in the young player list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ings is a good call...

Its a pity you kicked off your contribution with a dig at it being for exclusive preserve of the top six, because the rest of what you've said is fair.

I don't know what recognition you can give them really. The incentive is for them to maintain these standards in order to attract the attention of the top clubs.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    the format definitely needs tweaking. I don't necessarily mind players being nominated in both categories, but as others have said it would be absurd for different players to win each one when they had been nominated in both. I think they've definitely got to reduce the age of eligibility for the Young Player award though. 21 at an absolute maximum.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    The simple answer is to make young player an under 21 award. It is faintly absurd that at 24 Hazard is in the young player list.

Yeah that'd make sense. But then they can qualify for the U21s for some strange reason, so it might be because of that that they count.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    the format definitely needs tweaking. I don't necessarily mind players being nominated in both categories, but as others have said it would be absurd for different players to win each one when they had been nominated in both. I think they've definitely got to reduce the age of eligibility for the Young Player award though. 21 at an absolute maximum.

Absolutely. Having such a generous maximum age for the young player award seriously detracts from the main player of the year award.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Yeah that'd make sense. But then they can qualify for the U21s for some strange reason, so it might be because of that that they count.

Yes, 1 January 1992 is the cut off for the under 21s.
    This would eliminate Hazard and De Gea is 25 this year...and he's in the young player category, my god.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I do think that being nominated in both categories is wrong - should be one or the other and as has been said 'young' as in Young Player Award should be defined - 21 or under at the time of the dinner seems a good place to put it imo.

My votes would go to De Gea in the main award and Kane in the Young Player Award. For me CFC have a number of key players who have been factors in their being likely champs - Hazard yes but also Costa, Fabregas and Terry spring to mind. I think without Hazard CFC would be in much the same position as they are now, whereas without De Gea I do not think MUFC would be. Up till the game V THFC at OT I was genuinely not worried by MUFC as they had played well in very few games but now for sure they have got their act together and will finish at least 4th if not above. Even tho I am a LFC fan I am not sure Coutinho deserves a nomination - great but only sometimes, far too inconsistent to win a national award tho yes I'd prob agree he has been LFCS best player.

Kane has simply been the most impressive young player, for a new player on the scene he has been outstanding and is to me clearly the best candidate.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that being nominated in both categories is wrong - should be one or the other and as has been said 'young' as in Young Player Award should be defined - 21 or under at the time of the dinner seems a good place to put it imo.

My votes would go to De Gea in the main award and Kane in the Young Player Award. For me CFC have a number of key players who have been factors in their being likely champs - Hazard yes but also Costa, Fabregas and Terry spring to mind. I think without Hazard CFC would be in much the same position as they are now, whereas without De Gea I do not think MUFC would be. Up till the game V THFC at OT I was genuinely not worried by MUFC as they had played well in very few games but now for sure they have got their act together and will finish at least 4th if not above. Even tho I am a LFC fan I am not sure Coutinho deserves a nomination - great but only sometimes, far too inconsistent to win a national award tho yes I'd prob agree he has been LFCS best player.

Kane has simply been the most impressive young player, for a new player on the scene he has been outstanding and is to me clearly the best candidate.

For a goalkeeper to win the award he would have had to have a season that is completely off the scale, its just not a popular choice compared to creative players and goalscorers. I think the voting is also ridiculously early for these things so Manchester United wouldn't have been having any sort of season at the time.

I think a Chelsea player will walk it. Probably Hazard but Costa was having a stormer up until the new year so his recent absence may not count.
  • Options
    ArmchairDieHardArmchairDieHard Posts: 282
    Forum Member

I completely agree. I'm baffled at how they can place 24 year-olds into the young category.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its clearly hazard for the main award.

He has been tremendous this season, his football is outstanding. One day he will be the best in the world.

I urge all fans of football to watch the chelsea games just for him.

As for the young player, its ridiculous players like DDG, Eden and so on are even nominated.

It should be courtois or kane
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do disagree on that one. let's say the cutoff is 21 and someone like Kane is a shoo-in for the Young Player award but has also played well enough to be in contention for the main award. if he has to forfeit the former and loses in the latter. it wouldn't be fair for him to - in effect - be punished for doing [TOWNSEND]too well[/TOWNSEND]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Its clearly hazard for the main award.

He has been tremendous this season, his football is outstanding. One day he will be the best in the world.

I urge all fans of football to watch the chelsea games just for him.
    this one again...? Hazard is only three and a half years younger than Messi, but even now isn't anywhere near as good as Messi was ten years ago. he's a fine player, for sure, but just one of many other fine players his age or thereabouts in the world. no matter how much you'd like him to be, he's simply not anywhere NEAR the level you keep trying to elevate him to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do disagree on that one. let's say the cutoff is 21 and someone like Kane is a shoo-in for the Young Player award but has also played well enough to be in contention for the main award. if he has to forfeit the former and loses in the latter. it wouldn't be fair for him to - in effect - be punished for doing [TOWNSEND]too well[/TOWNSEND]

You are bang on there too. I think we all understand more than one player being nominated for both then having different winners amongst those players is a nonsense.

If you win the main award as a young player, logic is you win both.
    If you are good enough for the main award nomination and come fourth, its not right to be excluding that player for young player.
    Only other outcome making the main award for over 21s only. But we have two 24 yos in for young player and as you and others say, absurd.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this one again...? Hazard is only three and a half years younger than Messi, but even now isn't anywhere near as good as Messi was ten years ago. he's a fine player, for sure, but just one of many other fine players his age or thereabouts in the world. no matter how much you'd like him to be, he's simply not anywhere NEAR the level you keep trying to elevate him to.

And yet here he is, winning player of the year and all the plaudits.

I guess all the people who watch him must be wrong.

He is not on the messi level.

However i am going to trot out the age old cliche, how would messi do in the PL against defenders like shawcross?

Hazard is the most fouled player in the PL, teams try and stop him by hacking/scything him down, He gets up, black and blue, and continues without fuss.

In the spanish league he would get the protection messi does and would appear to be a much improved player.

If messi came to the PL, ive no doubt he would go down in "quality".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    winning POTY doesn't automatically qualify you as being among the best in the world.

I can't take that tired cliche in the slightest bit seriously, in all honesty. Messi's body of work really shouldn't be being questioned at this point, but if you're genuinely convinced that he'd suddenly come back to the field as a result of facing the likes of Ryan bloody Shawcross, then so be it.

wake me up when Hazard starts to dominate against top-quality opposition outside of the PL. because that'll be when we can even discuss him amongst those that have done so once or on the odd occasion, even if still some considerable way from a guy who has been doing so in his sleep almost non-stop for 10 years.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messi would tear Ryan Shawcross apart. While some clichés have elements of truth, that one's pure ballbags.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazard and Kane will get the awards - de Gea is the only one who may spring a surprise as he's been so consistently good this season. Yes, Hazard may become the best in the world one day - but that'll be a day after Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez retire.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll become completely ordinary and overrated the day he leaves Chelsea too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's not just Messi and Ronaldo though. look at what other players like Sanchez, Neymar, Bale, Aguero etc have done at the very top level...Hazard really isn't in that category at all.