If Chelsea says 'aks' again I may phone Ofcom

Comments

• pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    In the words of brookie "calm down, calm down"

I reserve the right to be annoyed and to speak out against pernicious comments designed purely to be offensive. It's not something to be taken lightly. Those kinds of comments cause a great deal of misery and trouble in our society, and indeed in societies all over the world.
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Jxa09 wrote: »
    I don't know how you could interpret that I was a troublemaker based on one post which was actually not offensive at all. I asked the OP a question, it didn't have anything to do with you yet you chose to get involved and attack me. :rolleyes:

So you succeeded then. Go rest on your laurels then. If you don't understand what you did then you probably haven't left school yet, and are probably only up this late because it's half term. Oh , that explains things. I'll come back next week when the late night boards are populated mainly by adults. I'm not used to seeing this sort of stupid behaviour on this board, but then I usually keep select company... Love.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pammi_i wrote: »
    I reserve the right to be annoyed and to speak out against pernicious comments designed purely to be offensive. It's not something to be taken lightly. Those kinds of comments cause a great deal of misery and trouble in our society, and indeed in societies all over the world.

WHAT???? I was making a joke. Our society has many problems with racism...but since when were people racist to people from different regions? Give it a rest please!

EDIT: Just re-read - were you having a go at what I said or why I said it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet another night of arguing on DS... :rolleyes:
  • Jxa09Jxa09 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    pammi_i wrote: »
    So you succeeded then. Go rest on your laurels then. If you don't understand what you did then you probably haven't left school yet, and are probably only up this late because it's half term. Oh , that explains things. I'll come back next week when the late night boards are populated mainly by adults. I'm not used to seeing this sort of stupid behaviour on this board, but then I usually keep select company... Love.
    :yawn: I left school a long time ago love.

Carry on attacking me all you like. You're obviously going off on one and aiming it all at me, well you needn't bother because you're now on ignore and I'm going to bed. I don't suffer fools gladly and I've got work in the morning. Night xx.
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    WHAT???? I was making a joke. Our society has many problems with racism...but since when were people racist to people from different reasons? Give it a rest please!

EDIT: Just re-read - were you having a go at what I said or why I said it?
    He or she was having a go at me. Don't worry. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He or she was having a go at me. Don't worry. :D

OK, it's hard to tell sometimes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,887
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Catherine Tates character say it as well?
    Maybe it's trendy kidz speak :cool:
  • circling girlcircling girl Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    suddenly I'm hitler.

ding ding ding, Godwin's Law!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,887
    Forum Member
    ding ding ding, Godwin's Law!
    ** the sound of a dozen people googling **
  • elvis86elvis86 Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to start throwing around the 'R' term because that would be unfair without the OP clarifying what was meant by this topic.

I presume they're annoyed by someone abusing/mususing the English language. Regardless of accents, the word "ask" is not pronounced "arks"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bonze wrote: »

Thats true! Lauren says it
    Forum Member
    elvis86 wrote: »
    I presume they're annoyed by someone abusing/mususing the English language. Regardless of accents, the word "ask" is not pronounced "arks"!
    But different accents make things sound differently.

I say tom-art-o and someone else may see tom-ay-to. It doesn't matter.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that the way black people have said ask for years?
    I know that's the only way I've ever heard my black friends pronounce it.

That is right, a lot of people i know say it that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone just cringe whenever she says 'aks' instead of 'ask'? I want to strangle her. Surely I can't be the only one that feels that way. :mad:

Would you phone offcom for the way someone stutters, or can't pronounce their R's? That is the way she talks and many people can't say ask they say aks. I don't know where you live, maybe you haven't come across that before, however, does Jonathan Ross annoy you when he talks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But different accents make things sound differently.

Yes but some differences are annoying, the whole 'i fink' example really p!sses me off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonze wrote: »

Dear lord, no it is not a trend in how kids speak, many people can't say ask, they say aks. :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coruna wrote: »
    Would you phone offcom for the way someone stutters, or can't pronounce their R's? That is the way she talks and many people can't say ask they say aks. I don't know where you live, maybe you haven't come across that before, however, does Jonathan Ross annoy you when he talks?

Oh my god some folk need to GET A GRIP!

I doubt the OP actually seriously intends to strangle Tiana Benjamin. :rolleyes:

Some people find it annoying as they appreciate the English language, period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure but now you've said the W.Indies friends of mine that pronounce it that way are from places like Jamaica.

I can't decide who out of the two is the more feisty, both are great characters though.

That is true what you say. also a lot of 'rappers' speak that way too, its just their accent. nothing wrong with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god some folk need to GET A GRIP!

I doubt the OP actually seriously intends to strangle Tiana Benjamin. :rolleyes:

Some people find it annoying as they appreciate the English language, period.

Yeah, so if you couldn't help the way you pronounce certain words, you would find it funny if someone said this to you, I rest assure you are the one who needs to get a GRIP on your ownself. Because I am sure those who say AKS don't do so intentionally.
    Forum Member
    coruna wrote: »
    Yeah, so if you couldn't help the way you pronounce certain words, you would find it funny if someone said this to you, I rest assure you are the one who needs to get a GRIP on your ownself. Because I am sure those who say AKS don't do so intentionally.
    I was jumped on too. I wouldn't let it bother you. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You really have no compassion for people who can't pronounce words as part of their nature? How would you react to someone with a stutter or lisp? Because aks falls under the same category Speech and Language issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was jumped on too. I wouldn't let it bother you. :)

:) I just don't get it that people don't understand that some people have speech and language problems, something they can't help, even if they wanted to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Chelsea was born and raised in England:confused:

That makes no odds, its a genetic thing, and a slight speech and language issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's call the whole thing off! :D