The Official Villa supporters thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    All English scorers so far...:)

Barry's played fine so far, we've looked a little weak in the midfield overall though, Reo-Coker and Petrov have simply been anonymous. Gabby took his goal well but he and Harewood don't seem to be linking up brilliantly, they're playing like strangers atm.

Clean sheet would have been nice but I won't get too greedy. :D
    Forum Member
    Heading off to the game tomorrow...I'm quietly unconfident. With the chaos and poor performance City put in on Thursday night, we should win, but we never do well against them. At least Vassell is out injured so we won't suffer at his hands again.

Surprising to see Young and Gabby left out of the England squad - the only positive I can take out of it is that at least they'll be fresh for next weekend's game against Stoke. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for them though, especially Young. How Capello came to the conclusion that players like Downing (who has less pace and poorer delivery) and Walcott (more pace but much poorer delivery) can offer more than Young is beyond me.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder if GB has come to the conclusion that Rafa won't be at Liverpool for to long so decided to stay at VP where he can be appreciated and nutured still more ?

Or are Liverpool raising funds by the disposal of Alonso to Arsenel to make a final offer ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Villa looked awesome today. We are going to cause teams lots of problems this season, especially if Barry stays. This team score goals for fun.
    Forum Member
    :D

Capello is a fool if he doesn't think Gabby and Young should be in the England squad. Young ran the show for us again today, and Gabby made some really intelligent runs and was lethal in front of goal.

Encouraging debut for Luke Young who wasn't afraid to get stuck in, Shorey looked nervy but on the whole, he did alright. Laursen was a rock as always and the team as a whole looked pretty solid - after I'd seen us in the first 15 minutes, I was never worried we wouldn't win the game, apart from after they equalised. They had a bit of pressure and we seemed a little shocked, but after we got our second, we were well on top.

Hopefully we can get three points off Stoke next weekend and then move into the game against the Scousers with confidence. Based on their performances in pre-season and the game I saw yesterday against a none too brilliant Sunderland, I'm looking forward to playing them. If Arbeloa is playing right back then Young will be licking his lips in anticipation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And hopefully GB will be still a Villa player
    Forum Member
    Reports tonight suggest Maloney will be signing for Celtic in the next 24 hours. I think the lad has talent, but he just hasn't settled at Villa, so no great loss.
  • VillaVilla Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Maloney going as long as we have someone coming in to replace him with the size of our squad being small as it is. Theres talk of a bid being made for milner which if it is true and happens would be a great signing for us.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't really understand the exclusion of Ashley Young from the England squad. To a degree I could see why Agbonlahor wasn't picked, but if he keeps up his start to the season, it won't be long before Capello comes knocking.

Villa are looking to me like the team most likely to give the big four a run for their money. More so now they've kept Barry and I think Shorey and Young are very smart pick ups - I think you are guaranteed steady, reliable full back play there. Obviously, losing Bouma was a bit of a blow but nothing that can't be overcome I am sure.

Spurs and Portsmouth will no doubt be in that particular running, but you've no need to be worried about my lads, we are looking like bottom six rather than top six material - it is an absolute nonsense at Goodison Park at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is an absolute nonsense at Goodison Park at the moment.

More bad news ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/7576581.stm
    Forum Member
    I couldn't really understand the exclusion of Ashley Young from the England squad. To a degree I could see why Agbonlahor wasn't picked, but if he keeps up his start to the season, it won't be long before Capello comes knocking.

I'm worried about Capello. For some inexplicable reason, he leaves Young out of the squad, whilst picking the usual suspects like Jenas, Downing, etc.. Then he's come out afterwards and said that he thinks the Liverpool situation has unsettled Barry and caused him to lose his form. Well Barry had a couple of assists against Man City and generally put in his usual, tidy performance - and the Liverpool situation is now resolved.

It seemed like he was clutching at straws when trying to come up with a reason for the poor team performance on Wednesday. What about Lampard's contract negotiations? Is that why he played badly on Wednesday? Of course not, but it's just as valid an excuse as the one he came up with Barry.
    Spurs and Portsmouth will no doubt be in that particular running, but you've no need to be worried about my lads, we are looking like bottom six rather than top six material - it is an absolute nonsense at Goodison Park at the moment.

It's a peculiar situation, Faxy. Any reason why nobody's been brought in, do players just not want to come to Everton? Every time I see Moyes on Sky Sports News he looks more and more frustrated.
  • deadwood dandeadwood dan Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disaster!
    Forum Member
    As always, our ability to concede silly goals is our undoing again - it's not like it's the end of our season but it's a setback. We shouldn't be dropping points to Stoke.

The sooner Cuellar gets fit, the better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopefully MON can take possitives from this and try and improve the team before the liverpool match. I would like to see the reception liverpool get when they arrive at villa park.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hoped after it went 1 - 1 it would end happliy , it didn't
    Forum Member
    hopefully MON can take possitives from this and try and improve the team before the liverpool match. I would like to see the reception liverpool get when they arrive at villa park.

The positives are that we can score - and we know that whatever happens, with Young in the team, we'll create chances.

But this is something like the sixth league game in a row (stretching back to last year) where we've conceded two or more goals. That's not good enough if we want to challenge the top 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sorry but what the **** were you doing haha i was at stoke because i work there and we whooped ure arses good style haha well at least we showed you how its done haha we might not be very well known but we will be, were stoke ffs, sir stanley matthews, gordon banks ect, and now fuller and lawrence haha, amazing haha the atmosphere was buzzing haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come back at the end of the season as you say farewell to the Premier league
    Forum Member
    njguy wrote: »
    im sorry but what the **** were you doing haha i was at stoke because i work there and we whooped ure arses good style haha well at least we showed you how its done haha we might not be very well known but we will be, were stoke ffs, sir stanley matthews, gordon banks ect, and now fuller and lawrence haha, amazing haha the atmosphere was buzzing haha

:D

I'm pleased that at least the goals we are conceding are from silly mistakes that can be eradicated - teams like Spurs (sorry to use them as an example if there's any Spurs fans reading this) are making basic, fundamental positional errors at the back and look completely lacking in organisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha ha ha

yes ok we aint doing a derby i dont think thats gona happen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

enjoy it while it lasts.

good luck getting the numbers up for the stoke thread...regrettably for stokies there's no official hooligan forum on this board....

see you on the 14th regardless.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha the naughty fourty haha some of my dads mates are on that and laughable coming from someone in liverpool id never live there haha there fans are crazy
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Maggie Thatcher? We gave your boys a hell of a beating! Perspective son.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha the naughty fourty haha some of my dads mates are on that and laughable coming from someone in liverpool id never live there haha there fans are crazy

Like it or not, neither Liverpool or Everton have the identified reputation of Stoke supporters when it comes to causing trouble.

I look forward to my trip to the Britannia on the 14th...not been before but expect it to be my first and last visit....

do ask the mods to set up a seperate hooligan forum though....bound to be plenty of Stoke fans on that one....:p
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    do ask the mods to set up a seperate hooligan forum though....bound to be plenty of Stoke fans on that one....:p

Im not sure why and i never give you any credit but that made me laugh!!!