Options

Affairs- Is It Just Lazy Writing?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,553
Forum Member
✭✭
Affairs in soap, is it just lazy writing on behalf of the writers?

I am focusing on EastEnders as that is the only British Soap I watch but I and I think a lot of us are getting tired of all these 'affairs'

We have Kush and Stacey, Charlie and Roxy, now Roxy falling into bed with Dean.

Carol and possibly Buster.

Surely EastEnders bosses can dream up better storylines?

EastEnders seems to be waiting for Kathy's long awaited return because the last few weeks have been very low par although Carmel has been a great addition.

Comments

• Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the go to storyline when they can't think of anything else. They're rarely interesting as all possible affairs have been done at this point. The EE ones currently are extremely generic, Roxy already had one of Ronnie's men and the best friend in love with you man has been done to absolute death.

There is enough for Kush and Shabnam without the Stacey thing thrown in at it seems like an attempt to have Stacey have a storyline now Kat and Alfie have disappeared.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Definitely lazy on the part of the production team. I think affairs have been done to death on soaps and I find it depressing because not everyone is as faithless as soap characters in real life.

Kush has really disappointed me because he clearly loves Shabnam. And now I've gone back to disliking homewrecker Stacey after her recent improvement.

Even bloody Les is at it and I really don't know what Pam or Vincent's mum sees in him!
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are nowadays but when a affair storyline is done right and slowly it can be explosive and emotive, but it all cheap knickers type of drama lately.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can, like you vas, only comment on Eastenders as that's the one I've watched for thirty years. The only affair story lines I've enjoyed was Den and Jan way back at the beginning, and Sharongate they were both well written and shocking in there own way but they just over do it now it's what they think a character needs when they can think of nothing else to do with the character time they tried something different in my view
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only couple I feel out of bounds for an affair are Mick and Linda, but if DTC leaves and a new EP comes in and both are still in it, that'll all change too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I think the problem with affairs these days is that they're so explicit and substanceless. They seem to come out of nowhere, too. What about emotional, slow-burn affairs? Not everything has to be about sex.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can, like you vas, only comment on Eastenders as that's the one I've watched for thirty years. The only affair story lines I've enjoyed was Den and Jan way back at the beginning, and Sharongate they were both well written and shocking in there own way but they just over do it now it's what they think a character needs when they can think of nothing else to do with the character time they tried something different in my view

I thought you were only in your twenties Aaron!
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to affairs they really do treat the viewing public like they're idiots, I can imagine the producers sitting around a table in a meeting saying "yeah another affair, that will keep them interested and have them talking for months"- they must think that people have the memory of a goldfish. They have the ability to be more original so they should give us more original storylines.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Definitely. I only watch EastEnders but I find affair storylines beyond dull. They happen every five minutes and they ruin perfectly good couples for a quick 'shock'. Why is it so impossible for soaps to have male/female friends who really are just friends?

Remember Sharongate? Pat/Frank/Peggy? Stax? These all kept my interest and were written well but now I am bored beyond belief of them all. I would like to see some strong united couples on the square, who look out for one another and don't just hop into bed with whoever else shows them interest when the going gets tough.

Can they not write storylines where couples remain together and go through whatever it is together? Mick and Linda seem to be the only couple who are untouchable.

I would like to be able to invest in couples, I'd like to see couples get together and stay together, the whole musical partners thing is boring and usually ruins most of the characters involved within the story. It is just lazy writing and I for one wish they would think up new storylines rather than who can cheat on who and with who.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I thought you were only in your twenties Aaron!

I wish vas, I'm early forties so started watching when I was young probably only missed 2 episodes in 30 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emay wrote: »
    I think the problem with affairs these days is that they're so explicit and substanceless. They seem to come out of nowhere, too. What about emotional, slow-burn affairs? Not everything has to be about sex.

This, not that long ago Stacey was pushing Shabnam to get with Kush, now suddenly she wants him herself, we have however seen no change between Kush and Stacey to merit this sudden change in their behaviour.

A similar one that annoyed me was Carla and Liam in Corrie, she was married to his brother for donkey's years but only suddenly found Liam attractive when it was convenient to add it to the storyline.
  • Options
    Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of affair storylines these days are just about the s.ex. you dont actually she the feelings properly develope.

you only see them in bed together. we want to see them go on dates together and act like a couple.
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch Eastenders so I can't comment on that, but of the two I do watch (Emmerdale and occasionally Corrie), two affairs stick out for me:

1. Chrissie/Robert/Aaron - Emmerdale - Robert is obviously bisexual, and is hiding his sexuality for fear of being scared, losing his 'new' family and the big house.

2. Tina/Peter/Carla - Coronation Street - Peter brought Tina in as Simon's childminder, and the two seemed to have an instant attraction although they have never interacted before. It was just a ploy, and a poor one, to create Tina's exit.

For the right reasons, affairs can be good stories, as they lead to dramatic consequences and more stories, but not the two characters have not interacted before.
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it that hard to break up with the person that you're with before acting on your "feelings" for someone else? Why do the majority of soap characters have to be such morons?

Yes it is lazy writing, there are far better stories that they could do instead of a pointless affair but they go ahead with it anyway.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Writers are losing their imagination these days. Never mind - if they decide to forget the 'affair' storylines there's always Plan B: A pregnancy storyline :p
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of affair storylines these days are just about the s.ex. you dont actually she the feelings properly develope.

you only see them in bed together. we want to see them go on dates together and act like a couple.

This was the problem with the Kat & Derek Branning affair at the centre of the Who Is Kat Sh@gging? storyline. We never saw them in their relationship, never really saw them interact, never saw their feelings develop overtime etc. As the viewers were kept in the dark about who Kat was sleeping with, when the reveal was made they had already split up at that point so for me personally I couldn't fathom the reason why she went with Derek in the first place as we never saw them in the act, so to speak.
  • Options
    Amelia_SutherlaAmelia_Sutherla Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is they'r not even affairs as such just a relentless swapping of sexual partners,everyone has slept with everyone in the Square the Street the Village it's just the same thing over and over again.
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emay wrote: »

Totally. One of the best affair storylines we've seen in recent years was the one between Carla and Peter on Corrie because it was a slow burner.
  • Options
    StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, especially with Stacey. I think the only believable affair that would make sense for Stacey would be going back with Max... (who has had every woman under walford's sun :D )

Stacey just seems completely lost as a character. This Kush storyline is annoying, he and Shabnam were good together. Plus Stacey must lack self awareness to tell Kush that she's 'Falling for the one man I can't have.' as if it's something new for her, she went with her fiances dad for crying out loud lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought her and Max would end up in bed together again which as you said might actually be plausible. Kush is just ridiculous.
    The thing is they'r not even affairs as such just a relentless swapping of sexual partners,everyone has slept with everyone in the Square the Street the Village it's just the same thing over and over again.

In Corrie and EE this is particularly ridiculous given they live in cities, the way Stacey a few weeks ago was frustrated at the lack of men "around", she lives in one of the most vibrant and diverse European cities but can't be bother to take the tube and venture outside the confines of Walford to find a man or even go on dates outside her local road.

Slightly more plausible for Emmerdale given its rural nature, although still a bit stupid.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    They can be done well but they normally just come off as grubby rather than shocking or exciting. Hollyoaks are obsessed with affairs that 'keep it in the family'- brother's wife, stepfather and stepdaughter, daughter's boyfriend- ruining perfectly good family units. Are people in real life that keen to go where their close family members have been?
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Honestly nowadays yes, it is lazy writing.

The most shocking thing you could do to a couple on a soap is to have them NOT cheat on each other these days.
  • Options
    mad-1mad-1 Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that the writers don't have a nine month murder plot or a rape within a family to focus on, affairs and love triangles are all they can muster these days, I won't be voting for EE at any upcoming awards if they can't be more imaginative.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, its lazy writing

if they dont know what to do with a character, the write an affair - Roxy is a good example of this as is Stacey

I dont watch any other soaps so I cant comment on those
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some affair storylines have gone down in soap history as classic plots like Mike & Deirdre, Pat & Frank, Sharongate and even Kevin & Natalie but that's because those storylines had some sort of build up and substance to them. Most affair plots scream "we don't want to axe you but we've no clue what to do with your character anymore".