What equipment do I need to receive German RTL in the UK?

124»

Comments

• Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm a pretty geeky guy, but when it comes to satellite equipment I'm a total noob!

For first few races of the season I paid for Sky Go so I could watch the live F1 races on Sky but have refused to pay £35 to watch a single race for Bahrain and Canada.

I want to watch the rest of the races that Sky has exclusively live on RTL but I have no idea on how to go about it.

Was hoping someone could give me some advice on how the equipment I need to get and how to set it up.

I have a limited budget but I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for some decent equipment so I can get HD Freesat channels and if possible some FTA channels that aren't available on Freesat. But my main aim is to watch F1 on RTL.

Hope you guys can help me, and thanks in advance :)

All covered here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1510300
  • mikewilliams743mikewilliams743 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks Frank, there's a lot of information there, but I'm struggling, everone discussing there has experience with satellite equipment before.

As I said, I'm a compete novice and I've never touched a dish in my life.

I'm looking for advice as to what dish I need, what box I need and what else I need to do/get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Thanks Frank, there's a lot of information there, but I'm struggling, everone discussing there has experience with satellite equipment before.

As I said, I'm a compete novice and I've never touched a dish in my life.

I'm looking for advice as to what dish I need, what box I need and what else I need to do/get.

Maybe this will be easier to digest for a beginner: http://lookingspiffy.tumblr.com/post/10481434031/operation-watch-f1-in-2012 :)
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    That link ought to be a sticky!! :)
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dshu wrote: »
    Maybe this will be easier to digest for a beginner: http://lookingspiffy.tumblr.com/post/10481434031/operation-watch-f1-in-2012 :)

I have to say that first time was a right mare too - but I've now got it down to a find art - pick the dish up from the basement (mounted to wood like the tumblr post!), place it on the floor, plonk some flagstones on top of it, line it up with the flags, spin the dish around and ensure a marker pen mark on the LNB arm is directly above a join in the tiles, walk inside the house with the cable and plug it into the DiSEqC switch turn to RTL and the signal strength is 69% (vs ~55% of the Sky channels from the Sky Minidish!). Took last then five minutes last time out - and three of those were getting it out of the basement, and then tying the rose bush back!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help guys, will give it a go and see how far I get with it.

Will let you know how I get on :)
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm a pretty geeky guy, but when it comes to satellite equipment I'm a total noob!

For first few races of the season I paid for Sky Go so I could watch the live F1 races on Sky but have refused to pay £35 to watch a single race for Bahrain and Canada.

I want to watch the rest of the races that Sky has exclusively live on RTL but I have no idea on how to go about it.

Was hoping someone could give me some advice on how the equipment I need to get and how to set it up.

I have a limited budget but I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for some decent equipment so I can get HD Freesat channels and if possible some FTA channels that aren't available on Freesat. But my main aim is to watch F1 on RTL.

Hope you guys can help me, and thanks in advance :)

Hi Mike I guess it depends if you want a permanent set up, but if you only intend to use it just for non BBC GPs, I can recommend the B&Q or Maplin camping satellite kit, which can include an easy find LNB with a LED satellite finder built in (it sort of works like traffic lights).

Everything is in the kit, occasionally Lidls & Aldi sell them, sometimes for as little as £30.

It all packs away in a suitcase when not being used, as RTL is a strong signal there is no problem with the size of the dish, providing you are not too far North.
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Hi Mike I guess it depends if you want a permanent set up, but if you only intend to use it just for non BBC GPs, I can recommend the B&Q or Maplin camping satellite kit, which can include an easy find LNB with a LED satellite finder built in (it sort of works like traffic lights).

Everything is in the kit, occasionally Lidls & Aldi sell them, sometimes for as little as £30.

It all packs away in a suitcase when not being used, as RTL is a strong signal there is no problem with the size of the dish, providing you are not too far North.

I'm thinking I'd like a permanent setup so I can look at using it to do other things, to get my money's worth. If I'm going to stick it to Rupert I'd like to do it in style, so to speak.