Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    Meet The Parents
    Ocean's Eleven
    The Karate Kid
    The Mummy
    Shrek
    Ice Age

However, although I enjoy the Rocky films, I do like Rocky III and IV.

Also, even though I hadn't seen Monsters Inc., I went to see Monsters University this summer and really enjoyed it. I then watched M. Inc and didn't enjoy it half as much.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    It could be largely due to a good performance by Sigourney Weaver, refreshing to see a female action hero rather than yelling and wailing,
    Eh?
    Your answer is as if I'd said I can't understand why people think Alien is better than AlienS.
    In Aliens all I could hear was yelling and wailing. She was the hero in Alien, she put in a great performance without all the running around.
    To me the difference between Alien and Aliens is that in Alien there was more talking in an adult way of how to deal with it. They all seemed very believable characters. No one had an annoying attitude problem. They were just seven fairly normal people who spoke, behaved and used language in the way that WE would. We could relate to them which is probably why we cared about them more. They didn't seem like the stereotypical action heros which is why they were trying to work their way out of this situation they were put in rather than just running around shooting anything and swearing for a majority of the film.
    Aliens was just a load of people running around shooting anything that moved. They all spoke in that way as if they all thought they were all hard as hell. I just thought it was rubbish.

I've tried to explain in a bit of detail why I thought Alien was better but if you ask anyone who thinks AlienS is better most of them just say "er.....well,,,,there was more action in it".
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien and Aliens are both great because Jones the cat is in them.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Eh?
    In Aliens all I could hear was yelling and wailing.She was the hero in Alien, she put in a great performance without all the running around.

That was Bill Paxton.

You may have gone into detail in explaining your point of view, but it doesn't seem like you've put much effort into considering what the other person was meaning. I imagine that by "yelling and wailing" the poster means the traditional damsel in distress role, waiting to be saved by the male hero, the likes of Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom for example. Ripley was nothing like that. In Aliens Ripely may have been loud at times, and showed fear at times, but she was mostly a strong heroic character, within the more action oriented context of the movie.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speed as the second one was trying to do the same as the first one only this time on a boat. The bus idea was far better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    That was Bill Paxton.

You may have gone into detail in explaining your point of view, but it doesn't seem like you've put much effort into considering what the other person was meaning. I imagine that by "yelling and wailing" the poster means the traditional damsel in distress role, waiting to be saved by the male hero, the likes of Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom for example. Ripley was nothing like that.
    Exactly.

My original question was "I've never understood why Aliens is so popular". She replied saying "It could be largely due to a good performance by Sigourney Weaver, refreshing to see a female action hero rather than yelling and wailing, tagging onto the back of the male lead".
    She was nothing like that in the ORIGINAL Alien. She wasn't yelling and wailing in the original waiting to be saved by some male hero. She always came across to me as their equal so that can't be the reason why some people prefer Aliens.

Let's be honest. The reason people who prefer Aliens to Alien prefer it is because there's more action in it. They haven't got to sit there listening to dialogue because they haven't got the patience to sit there listening.
    If you take away all the action in Aliens you've got nothing. Very little story at all. If you take away all the action in Alien you've still got a very good story with believable characters. That is why Alien is and will always be a much better film.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

My original question was "I've never understood why Aliens is so popular". She replied saying "It could be largely due to a good performance by Sigourney Weaver, refreshing to see a female action hero rather than yelling and wailing, tagging onto the back of the male lead".
    She was nothing like that in the ORIGINAL Alien. She wasn't yelling and wailing in the original waiting to be saved by some male hero. She always came across to me as their equal so that can't be the reason why some people prefer Aliens.

Because in that context she went beyond just being an equal, in Aliens she became the Alpha. A reasonable step given her experiences in the previous movie.
    Let's be honest. The reason people who prefer Aliens to Alien prefer it is because there's more action in it. They haven't got to sit there listening to dialogue because they haven't got the patience to sit there listening.
    If you take away all the action in Aliens you've got nothing. Very little story at all. If you take away all the action in Alien you've still got a very good story with believable characters. That is why Alien is and will always be a much better film.

You keep comparing the two films by equal standards, they are totally different beasts. If you want a suspenseful space horror you watch Alien, if you're more in the mood for fast paced all guns blazing action in space you watch Aliens. Of course people prefer Aliens to Alien for the action and fast pace. Just like they prefer Alien to Aliens for the horror and suspense. It doesn't matter how awesome Alien is, if you're in the mood for fast paced action that day then Alien is not gonna cut the mustard, and vice versa.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

BIB I completely disagree with. I like both Alien and Aliens. I do prefer Aliens but that' because I do like the fast pace of it and the more extreme characters. However I am not a dialogue snob. I liked Alien because it was slow and claustrophobic and the talky bit really developed the internal workings of the cast. (I like my drama as well as my action films)

I think both films are great because they are in the same universe cohesively yet take a vastly different approach. At there core is a strong realistic woman fighting for survival and sanity. Plus cool xenomorphic aliens. :D

Like comparing a Melon to a Lemon. Both fruits yet have different tastes and qualities.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hangover
    The Ring
    Underworld
    Mean Girls
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl. Its on BBC3 right now.

It was a great movie, fab cast, nice timing, witty one liners. Everything that was completely lost in the rest of the films - they were just terrible. I really wish the sequels had never been made.

Right now I'm off to go a bit swoony at Commodore Norrington :D
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Know What You Did Last Summer
    Urban Legend
    Salem's Lot
    The Great Escape
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    linnylou wrote: »
    The Karate Kid

that one is the only one i watch, others are meh..the second one wasn't too bad though
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Really? The story, for a sci-fi actioner, is pretty darn good in Aliens, with a few themes going on. There is the maternal development of Ripley as a character, the idea of a low-tech species managing to overcome and rout a group of well-equipped, high tech marines (Vietnam?) It's everything a sequel should be, in that it honours the source material, but expands on it, takes it in a new direction etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Really? The story, for a sci-fi actioner, is pretty darn good in Aliens, with a few themes going on. There is the maternal development of Ripley as a character, the idea of a low-tech species managing to overcome and rout a group of well-equipped, high tech marines (Vietnam?) It's everything a sequel should be, in that it honours the source material, but expands on it, takes it in a new direction etc
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree.
    I think Alien is far superior to Aliens in every single way. I've always thought Aliens is not a patch on the original but each to their own.
  • xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    although i like both, i much prefer the first home alone
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way Aliens is always labelled as having no suspense, when an hour passes before you even see an Alien. Seriously, take a look at the timer next time you watch it.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Lathamite wrote: »
    I love the way Aliens is always labelled as having no suspense, when an hour passes before you even see an Alien. Seriously, take a look at the timer next time you watch it.
    An hour of build up that gains suspense by way of knowing what's coming - a sense of foreboding, if you like. What Aliens does lack is the original's mystique, it's air of the supernatural, which makes the suspense all the more potent.

Of course, it would've been very tricky to repeat that in what is obviously a very different beast. Aliens certainly does its own thing (that bizarre paternity battle ending for one), but it's a film of the eighties, whereas Alien was really a product of the seventies. You can tell the film world had shifted gears a lot between them, in line with changing public tastes perhaps. I always thought they were two different films for two different audiences.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked The Godfather but not Godfather 2 because it was just a repeat, garden party with orchestra and family celebration.

Out of the Final Destination series, I like FD2 a lot but not the rest. Off topic of course but vaguely relevant.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Die Hard, I can't honestly say I didn't like the sequels but none of them capture the brilliance of the original movie. The first movie had some over the top stunts but still somehow remained believable. The sequels (while fun) just amped the action up to super hero levels of silly.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit off topic but the Undisputed trilogy is worth mentioning as its the only time Ive found the sequels to be better than the preceding movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The Human Centipede

loved this one , the first, but i am looking forward to seeing the last one lol
  • xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smokey and the bandit

enjoyed the first one, second was boring and the third i am not even attempting to waste my time watching that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An hour of build up that gains suspense by way of knowing what's coming - a sense of foreboding, if you like. What Aliens does lack is the original's mystique, it's air of the supernatural, which makes the suspense all the more potent.

Aliens certainly does its own thing (that bizarre paternity battle ending for one), but it's a film of the eighties, whereas Alien was really a product of the seventies. You can tell the film world had shifted gears a lot between them, in line with changing public tastes perhaps. I always thought they were two different films for two different audiences.
    For starters the fact that Aliens came out in the 80s has got absolutely NOTHING to do with it and the fact that Alien came out in 1979 hasn't got anything to do with it.
    There were plenty of films that came out in the 70s with loads of action and loads in the 80s without that much action.

I keep hearing people say they were different "beasts". Well if that's the case why make a sequel in the first place. If you're going to make a sequel then obviously you don't want to make a straight remake which some directors have done but what's important is that you DO make it in a similar vain or style to the original. That's my problem with Aliens. It simply does away with the claustrophobic feel of the original which creates the suspense, and replaces it with meaningless action and stupid dialogue between the characters.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    For starters the fact that Aliens came out in the 80s has got absolutely NOTHING to do with it and the fact that Alien came out in 1979 hasn't got anything to do with it.
    I'd have to strongly disagree with this.

They're fundamentally different in politics, subtext, audience awareness and genre awareness to name but four. And these factors all relate to the periods (late seventies/mid-eighties) from which both films sprang. This is often how cinema works.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The Matrix

It's a self-contained movie. Sequels were unnecessary.