How accurate is the iPhone's touchscreen

Comments

• tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    mondeo123 wrote: »

The test is a bit strange, as it assumes a robot touches the screen in the same way all over. Apple's iOS allows for the human being, who doesn't hold the phone in the same way all the time and doesn't have solid robot fingers.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Bizarre test really - obviously the iPhone 5S is not inaccurate 75% of the time or it would hardly ever do anything.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    The test is a bit strange, as it assumes a robot touches the screen in the same way all over. Apple's iOS allows for the human being, who doesn't hold the phone in the same way all the time and doesn't have solid robot fingers.
    How does it do that?
    A phone that also adjusts for inebriation level could be useful.

And did the robot have the wrong size hand?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    How does it do that?

If you don't understand then don't comment
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a fail is defined as + or - one mm. Unless you have really really thin fingers, that's not really a fair test.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Apple bash ammo.. it's like test has been designed to make it look bad. Who just got told off for paying for good reviews? Who's been caught for paying Pseudo research? Likely same people behind this. Only 25% accurate... Aye ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple bash ammo.. it's like test has been designed to make it look bad....
    The test was designed for accuracy. Its useful to know.
    Even more useful would be dropped calls tests.

The Guardian just recently ran a story telling us that the touchscreen was a few milliseconds faster on the iPhone/iPad.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The Guardian is Apple's mouth piece... lol
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Load of nonsense, obviously a phone provided by Samsung that was specifically calibrated for this nonsense test. More likely the test wasn't calibrated correctly for the iPhone screen. There would be no reason that the digitiser would be more accurate in one area of a screen than another.

That so called journalist has a history of Apple bashing articles and Samsung are known for this kind of thing for example faking their benchmarks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian is Apple's mouth piece... lol
    Obviously it was likely the piece that inspired someone to research for something opposite.

I guess that is why Samsung market a pen and Apple don't.
    I read a good while back that the new thinner type of screen Apple uses is more inaccurate. Their older phones and tablets must be better for accuracy.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    How does it do that?

Hahahahahahaha!!!
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Iphone touchscreen is the reason I don't have one any more . Just couldn't get on with them at all .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The test was designed for accuracy. Its useful to know.
    Even more useful would be dropped calls tests.

The Guardian just recently ran a story telling us that the touchscreen was a few milliseconds faster on the iPhone/iPad.

I haven't seen that article but the way the os responds to touch works differently on iOS to Android. iOS gives touch priority, Android doesn't.

You can test this by opening a website on both devices that is likely to take a second or so to refresh.

Hit the refresh button with one finger as you scroll the screen up and down with the other. You will find that the iPhone continues to scroll the screen up and down smoothly but the refresh stalls. On an android the scrolling up and down lags or even stops completely but the page carries on refreshing.

This was why the iPhone seemed smoother on older devices but this isn't really an issue anymore with the newer powerful Android devices, except perhaps ones overloaded with crap ware
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I haven't seen that article but the way the os responds to touch works differently on iOS to Android. iOS gives touch priority, Android doesn't.

You can test this by opening a website on both devices that is likely to take a second or so to refresh.

Hit the refresh button with one finger as you scroll the screen up and down with the other. You will find that the iPhone continues to scroll the screen up and down smoothly but the refresh stalls. On an android the scrolling up and down lags or even stops completely but the page carries on refreshing.

This was why the iPhone seemed smoother on older devices but this isn't really an issue anymore with the newer powerful Android devices, except perhaps ones overloaded with crap ware

Agreed. I make a lot of use of both IOS and Android. The touch responsiveness is one of the reasons why my iPhone is my goto device rather than my HTC One.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Nothing worse than scientific reasoning much better to change it to something that fits into opinions. I find that whole evolution thing really bothersome as well :D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Whats not what this article says ? The OP was talking about accuracy not responsiveness :confused:
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Agreed. I make a lot of use of both IOS and Android. The touch responsiveness is one of the reasons why my iPhone is my goto device rather than my HTC One.

I've tried the 5S and 5C and compared the speed of touch to my Nexus 4. There is no difference whatsoever. Not a thing. Yes, there was years ago. My 4S and my S3 were exactly the same as well. The one thing was, when typing with my 4S when i had it, i constantly made errors and it pissed me off no end. The keyboard on the iphone is terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I've tried the 5S and 5C and compared the speed of touch to my Nexus 4. There is no difference whatsoever. Not a thing. Yes, there was years ago. My 4S and my S3 were exactly the same as well. The one thing was, when typing with my 4S when i had it, i constantly made errors and it pissed me off no end. The keyboard on the iphone is terrible.

It doesn't sound like your doing a scientific test a bit like the gps non example you gave.

I actually own a nexus 4 and 5s. You can do the scroll and refresh test on the same connection and It's 100% reproducible and works very differently.

In real world scenarios there isn't much difference in practice now but the old Android phones were laggy as hell compared with the old iPhone
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    It doesn't sound like your doing a scientific test a bit like the gps non example you gave.

I actually own a nexus 4 and 5s. You can do the scroll and refresh test on the same connection and It's 100% reproducible and works very differently.

In real world scenarios there isn't much difference in practice now but the old Android phones were laggy as hell compared with the old iPhone

It very much depended on what you were doing but yes, Android 'lag' used to be very much a discussed 'issue'. This was back when hardware was lower spec - with Android doing more 'multi-tasking' than iOS there was often intermittent lag. This was often made worse if you filled your screen with huge numbers of widgets, and used live wallpapers. These day, as you say, its far less of an issue. iOS has dipped a little more into the multi-tasking world and both 'sides' have beefed up hardware. The playing field is rather more level. You'd have to try really hard to spot lag being worse on a high end Android phone vs a 5s for example.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    This was on a website I was reading yesterday. They were on about a person going from a iPhone to a andrpid phone and how they found typing hard at first.

It had something to do with this "inaccuracy"and the way the brain got used to it.
    Forum Member

Ah yes, of course it was a non example. I mean a pretty much unknown app that isn't even on the app store is being used and killing the battery vs using Google maps while on holiday for 6 hours straight and having almost half the battery left is a more scientific test isn't it?.... :rolleyes:

I haven't seen any difference which is what i was saying!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, of course it was a non example. I mean a pretty much unknown app that isn't even on the app store is being used and killing the battery vs using Google maps while on holiday for 6 hours straight and having almost half the battery left is a more scientific test isn't it?.... :rolleyes:

I haven't seen any difference which is what i was saying!

Did you have google maps on 6 hours straight with the gps active and screen on ? As I explained the gps will get switched off when you switch screens on google maps

I get the impression your not too technical so perhaps don't understand why different ways of using the gps system would cause different amounts of battery use. Some programs can use the gps quite heavily if you wanted to track something in more regular intervals for example and in the background.

Also do you know if you had access to a-gps. This is a kind of semi gps that can use cellular data as well as gps and it much kinder to the battery ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When people talk about Android touchscreens feeling unresponsive, it's probably this kind of thing, from The Verge's review of the Nexus 5.
    Speaking of rendering, the old bugbear of Android has always been scrolling performance. Especially in Chrome, there's always been a sense of lag that seemed completely out of place on top-tier devices. On the Nexus 5, we're very sad to report that the situation doesn't seem any better. There is still not a one-to-one relationship between your finger and the screen, and it's still crazy-making.

My brother's old Galaxy S3 had this issue, and so does his brand new Xperia Z1. My friend's Nexus 4 is the same. When I was away on some training recently, I had a chance to use a Nexus 7, and the scrolling on that was just awful - really juddery.
    Forum Member
    Did you have google maps on 6 hours straight with the gps active and screen on ? As I explained the gps will get switched off when you switch screens on google maps

You dont have to explain anything to me. I did the same trip last year using my iphone 4S when i had it in pretty much the same manner. I did it again this year with my Nexus 4 and had no battery issues. This is either a problem with his HTC One's battery or a severely dodgy app.
    I get the impression your not too technical so perhaps don't understand why different ways of using the gps system would cause different amounts of battery use. Some programs can use the gps quite heavily if you wanted to track something in more regular intervals for example and in the background.

Ah yes, the put down because i don't agree with you!

I'm perfectly technical. I understand perfectly thanks. My problem here is a primary apple user has an Android phone which he constantly berates apparently kills itself hours and hours before his iphone does apparently doing the same thing. This is also not just using GPS to make that clear.
    Also do you know if you had access to a-gps. This is a kind of semi gps that can use cellular data as well as gps and it much kinder to the battery ?

Yes, i do know this and In fact, i didn't have that on. I refuse to pay the data rates while abroad. So it was pure GPS using offline maps.