Options

rabbit grunting?

my rabbit makes a weird noise sometimes. i don't know how to describe it other than grunting? lol it's sort of like a moan...i definitely notice it when i'm about to put food in his bowl and he goes crazy, not letting me put the food in....it's like putting your hand in a python's cage. other than that he is very playful and just licks alot...is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I would recommend getting him neutered. I used to have a male rabbit that did the same - after the operation he was much friendlier and less aggressive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i agree about getting him neutered. It sounds that he is cage terrritorial as well. I had a rabbit once that was exactly the same until she let her self out and also another rabbit as well. They were not neutered at the time so hence little baby rabbits.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look round the Rabbits United forums - they will probably already have something up there or if not, you can ask.

Rabbits don't conform to gender stereotypes and actually the males are way LESS aggressive and territorial than females. He's probably telling you he fancies you.;) Or maybe it's just the food he fancies....

But the males are usually gentler and 'nicer' than the females, neutered or entire. My two males are not neutered and both very good natured lads.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My male rabbits are all neutered, I have 8 boys,lol. And a few of them grunt, I know that spotty grunts like mad when you put food in his bowl, Roger grunts when he's eating or sitting on your lap, and parsnip grunts when you cuddle him.
    He's not being aggressive, I think he's just being chatty and friendly :) Maybe he wants to be cuddled and played with?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies. i will have a look into getting him neutered.
  • Options
    ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reesh69 wrote: »
    I would recommend getting him neutered. I used to have a male rabbit that did the same - after the operation he was much friendlier and less aggressive.

Same story here exept out was a female !