Options

Are there any Doctor's you feel that should have stayed longer?

Comments

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctors 1-5: About right. Although in retrospect would probably have liked to see another Davison year in an ideal Universe. Maybe reduce Jon or Tom's eras by one year to compensate? But then again, what stories would I ditch with them in the role? It's the 'White Album' reduced to a single disc conundrum!

Colin and Syvester; Another year each. Colin was shortchanged and Sylvester was doing good stuff. A 1990 series to round off his era would've been nice.

Paul....depends. Great actor, but in retrospect not sure how a series would've gone considering how dodgy I found the TVM/Pilot. Nowt to do with Paul's performance, though. 2005 eventually meant it was kind of worth the wait.

Christopher: Hmm. This is all supposition, but maybe he was always meant to be the live fast/regenerate (sort of) young Doctor.

David: 3 series plus 'specials'....about right.

Matt: Well, I'd say another full series. Things changed a lot from The Snowmen on, with a new companion, costume, TARDIS interior, etc. Not saying things were rushed exactly, but would've been v happy for him to do 4 full series.

Peter C.....be delighted if he does 4 full series, but don't think he will. Said before, never in a rush to see any incarnation leave.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Pat was burnt out by the time he left so he couldn't possibly have continued. Gutted peter Davison left when he did however if he had got the same rubbish Colin baker got then he was right to leave. Off course the doctor we would all like to have seen more of was Paul Mcgann.

Well to be fair things were alot different back then because who was on for 11 months straight. Something I wish we would get today instead of shoddy 13 weeks.

Yeah Peter should have stayed longer and I think it was Pat who talked him into it because of the typcast thing. But they arent going to change stories just because a actor stays so Peter would have still got Colin's first season had he stayed.

Question is would we have gotten trial or would we'd have gotten the unmade season instead given the hiatus was because Grade hated baker.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well to be fair things were alot different back then because who was on for 11 months straight. Something I wish we would get today instead of shoddy 13 weeks.

Yeah Peter should have stayed longer and I think it was Pat who talked him into it because of the typcast thing. But they arent going to change stories just because a actor stays so Peter would have still got Colin's first season had he stayed.

Question is would we have gotten trial or would we'd have gotten the unmade season instead given the hiatus was because Grade hated baker.
    Grade hated Doctor Who, so the hiatus would have happened regardless who the Doctor was. It just so happened to be Colin.
  • Options
    TorchwoodBoyTorchwoodBoy Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have loved Chris to stay on one more year, and Matt.

I'll be devastated if Capaldi leaves after Series 10, though Moffat did state he doesn't see himself writing out Capaldi. I'd love to see him stay on for the next 5-6 series... Yeah, I love him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even though I wanted Chris to stay on longer I felt. It was nice character progression and really really sweet how he sacrificed his life to save his best friend Rose's life. At first he was so angry and filled with vengence and spite but then Rose changed him he started to laugh again and after the Time War it felt nice for him to have someone stand b him through thick and thin again, someone who didn't want to leave in the end to start a new life without him.

And in the end he repaid her back and on that Game station became Born Again, because of her, and their relationship just grew. Series 1 is definitely up there as one of my favourite Series of New Who.

For me I really wanted Paul McGann as the Doctor when it came back, if Ecclestone is only doing one year anyway having Paul there might have been better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    From what Ive seen on Dvd, Troughton in colour could have been interesting.

What about companions? Wendy Padbury as Zoe assisting 1970's Unit!

From what I read about it, Frazer was going to leave in 1969 anyway but I had heard Wendy was interested in staying on for the 1970 series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Eric Seward was script editor so would be interesting how season 22 would have been with Davison instead of Colin. Would the violence have been toned down for Davison?

I doubt, whatever stories they had planned wouldnt have made a difference, lets not forget the Fifth Doctor let the master burn to death and he killed Chameleon too in the same episode, shot a Cyberman too in the tardis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David: 3 series plus 'specials'....about right.

One thing ill say about David's Doctor and thats if he was thinking about leaving the following year he should have done a full series.

Thats one thing that irked me with his tenure in that his farewell to the part was just a couple of specials.
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,913
    Forum Member
    I think its interesting that later Davison came out and stated that if his second season had had stories like his third, when the contract extension talks happened after season two had finished shooting, he would likely have stayed a fourth year.

it was only after his second season had finished shooting when he was approached about extending his contract that he turned it down as he hadn't enjoyed his second season stories.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Eric Seward was script editor so would be interesting how season 22 would have been with Davison instead of Colin. Would the violence have been toned down for Davison?

I think The Doctor's personal violence would have been toned down definitely. I can't imagine the Fifth Doctor killing Shockeye for example and many of the other things the Sixth Doctor was seen to do, just don't see him doing it.

Overall the violence may have been as bad, Resurrection Of The Daleks was quite a violent story for example but I think The Doctor himself may not have been as bad simply by the very nature that Davison's Doctor wasn't that way inclined.

:)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing ill say about David's Doctor and thats if he was thinking about leaving the following year he should have done a full series.

Thats one thing that irked me with his tenure in that his farewell to the part was just a couple of specials.

The year of Specials was decided on by RTD and the BBC back in 2006 so for DT to leave on a full series he would have had to either leave after Series 4 or do Series 5 after doing the Specials (which he almost did).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think its interesting that later Davison came out and stated that if his second season had had stories like his third, when the contract extension talks happened after season two had finished shooting, he would likely have stayed a fourth year.

it was only after his second season had finished shooting when he was approached about extending his contract that he turned it down as he hadn't enjoyed his second season stories.

I thought he was planning to do a 4th series anyway and Troughton talked him out of it and said 3 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    The year of Specials was decided on by RTD and the BBC back in 2006 so for DT to leave on a full series he would have had to either leave after Series 4 or do Series 5 after doing the Specials (which he almost did).

They should have done a full season instead of specials. I know it got alot of criticism especially when RTD was leaving anyway. Doctor Who should always have a full season every year. A couple specials was no excuse, alot of fans resented the split series that Matt Smith got.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I personally feel it would have been better off having Tennant leave at the end of Series 4... not just because the Specials weren't all that, but because if that regeneration in The Stolen Earth had been genuine it could have been a phenomenal story. Written a bit differently Tennant could still have been involved in the final episode via the metacrisis, and the whole thing would have been tidier.

That being said I can see what they were aiming for with the specials. It kept the show in the limelight and enabled RTD to phase himself out more gradually, and on paper it sounds quite significant...to have a few specials that could dedicate themselves to bidding farewell to such a popular lead without being boggled down in a series-worth of continuity.

It is still staggering though that the last time a Doctor made his first or final appearance in a series proper though was Eccleston.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    From what I read about it, Frazer was going to leave in 1969 anyway but I had heard Wendy was interested in staying on for the 1970 series.
    Yeah, Wendy quit because both Frazer and Pat were leaving. If Pat had stayed on for a year in colour, then Wendy would have too. Jamie would've been written out differently, since the Doctor wouldn't be exiled without his companions in this scenario.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them should have stayed longer (in an ideal world, of course) except Tom Baker who had long enough and David Tennant who had more than long enough.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the two obvious ones are Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston. Paul has only done the TV Movie, and Chris has only done one series.

Since leaving, Chris has tried to distance himself from Doctor Who as much as possible, which is a shame. :(
    Obviously the most obvious one is the 2nd Doctor, we never really found out much about him and kinda wished Pat had done another year on earth in colour.

Patrick was in Doctor Who for a reasonable amount of time, I thought. I've just done a date duration calculation online. I looked up the date for Power of the Daleks Episode 1 and the date for the last episode of The War Games, and put those dates in. It came up with 2 years and 7 months.

As for you saying that you wanted to see him in colour. He was in three special stories broadcast in colour; The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors.
  • Options
    tom42tom42 Posts: 3
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Well, the two obvious ones are Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston. Paul has only done the TV Movie, and Chris has only done one series.

Since leaving, Chris has tried to distance himself from Doctor Who as much as possible, which is a shame. :(

Patrick was in Doctor Who for a reasonable amount of time, I thought. I've just done a date duration calculation online. I looked up the date for Power of the Daleks Episode 1 and the date for the last episode of The War Games, and put those dates in. It came up with 2 years and 7 months.

As for you saying that you wanted to see him in colour. He was in three special stories broadcast in colour; The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors.

Yes it would have been good to see a full series of the second Doctor in colour. Funny you mention those 3 specials as there was a continuation of the Doctor after War Games had ended.
  • Options
    Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me I really wanted Paul McGann as the Doctor when it came back, if Ecclestone is only doing one year anyway having Paul there might have been better.

Tbh I wouldn't mind if he did it either they both seem like my type of Doctors relaxed yet fun.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind you, wonder if they would have kept that 1970 series in the archive if Troughton was the star?

I guess there wouldn't have been any UNIT in that series either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I personally feel it would have been better off having Tennant leave at the end of Series 4... not just because the Specials weren't all that, but because if that regeneration in The Stolen Earth had been genuine it could have been a phenomenal story. Written a bit differently Tennant could still have been involved in the final episode via the metacrisis, and the whole thing would have been tidier.

That being said I can see what they were aiming for with the specials. It kept the show in the limelight and enabled RTD to phase himself out more gradually, and on paper it sounds quite significant...to have a few specials that could dedicate themselves to bidding farewell to such a popular lead without being boggled down in a series-worth of continuity.

It is still staggering though that the last time a Doctor made his first or final appearance in a series proper though was Eccleston.

This is one thing that bugged me about stolen earth, if they had Matt Smith debut on this story it would have been awesome alough they probably would have been worried it leaking out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Yeah, Wendy quit because both Frazer and Pat were leaving. If Pat had stayed on for a year in colour, then Wendy would have too. Jamie would've been written out differently, since the Doctor wouldn't be exiled without his companions in this scenario.

Looking back Ive always wondered how Power would have looked with Hartnell as the Doctor as I believe this was the third story of season 4 as it likely this series could have had hartnell if he had been well enough to play the role.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking back Ive always wondered how Power would have looked with Hartnell as the Doctor as I believe this was the third story of season 4 as it likely this series could have had hartnell if he had been well enough to play the role.

Power was written with the express intention of introducing the new Doctor. If Hartnell had stayed, then it's extremely unlikely that Power would exist at all, at least as the story that we know.
    But season 4 only had Hartnell as the Doctor at all because The Smugglers had already been recorded and held over from season 3, and The Tenth Planet needed to be written to properly write Hartnell out. Basically in The Tenth Planet, contractually, Hartnell was merely a guest star, no different from Robert Beatty or any of the other actors signed up for that one story. Regardless of his health, the production team had wanted to replace Hartnell since at least The Celestial Toymaker, and quite possibly before that.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do we mean by the word 'should'? To whose benefit are we speaking? The fans? The actors? The show itself (ie. its legacy)?

I think in general, whichever of the above we are talking about we can say that anyone who wanted to leave should have left. There's no value in having someone who is not committed.

That leaves us the Doctors who were 'pushed'. The problem here is we don't really know who these were. Hartnell is likely to have been one, Pertwee possibly, although there is no direct admission of it by anyone on the production team. Colin Baker is a grey area: technically speaking he was given the option of continuing into another season but under circumstances he didn't like and so he rejected the offer. McCoy was clearly not given the option to continue and circumstances dictated that McGann's Doctor was discontinued.

It's so speculative to wonder what would have happened had any of these stayed that it seems like a futile consideration.

I think the show's continued existence and continued success speaks for itself ultimately. Maybe in an alternative universe some things were different and the show is even stronger. But it's done pretty amazingly in this one and I think I will happily take what we got. Things have worked out great. Maybe not perfect, but if we consider all of those alternative universes... this one has to be up there amongst the best.