The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Oh what a fantastic, warm and feel-good show it is.

Long may it last :)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    vixyvic wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't put the follow up programme straight away afterwards.

They probably don't want to dent Our Zoo's (or whatever's on at 9pm) audience. Unless they move Bake Off to 9pm, which they absolutely shouldn't, then the spin off will have to air an hour later or on Friday. I actually think it works well on Friday, better than at 10pm anyway, but obviously the final one should be on the same day.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably don't want to dent Our Zoo's (or whatever's on at 9pm) audience. Unless they move Bake Off to 9pm, which they absolutely shouldn't, then the spin off will have to air an hour later or on Friday. I actually think it works well on Friday, better than at 10pm anyway, but obviously the final one should be on the same day.
    Fair enough, it worked well enough on Friday.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to all of them and congratulations to Nancy.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy was the best on the night, although she was my least favourite. But I have to say that it was the most boring Bake Off Final ever. I didn't enjoy it as much as past Finals.
  • lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I love that they've done the star thing, but it's kind of a pity that it's public knowledge now.

Obviously being really dim but what is the star thing!? Met Richard at Gt Ormond St hospital on Monday (he was judging a baking comp, my 9 year old was having his 20th op :() & he was lovely.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Result aside, I am losing faith...time for new judges perhaps?

Paul might have attempted a plausible case for the outcome ( "oh we never look back unless it is really really close, and it really really wasn' t") but surely it was Mary who really helped justify Nancy' s win:" she has been baking for years, and she has children and grandchildren and a lovely smile"

Then again, they seemingly cannot recall the elements of tasks they have apparently set....
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Ooops that "Neither" response will piss some people off.

What happened? Who said this? I didn't see it.

Anyway, very happy for Nancy but I liked all three.
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Result aside, I am losing faith...time for new judges perhaps?

Paul might have attempted a plausible case for the outcome ( "oh we never look back unless it is really really close, and it really really wasn' t") but surely it was Mary who really helped justify Nancy' s win:" she has been baking for years, and she has children and grandchildren and a lovely smile"

Then again, they seemingly cannot recall the elements of tasks they have apparently set....

In what way was Nancy's baking inferior to either Richard's or Luis's in the final?

If it wasn't, they made the right choice surely.
    Forum Member
    What happened? Who said this? I didn't see it.

Anyway, very happy for Nancy but I liked all three.

Jo asked Nancy who she'd viewed as more of a threat going into the final, Luis or Richard.

Nancy replied 'Neither'.

Seeing as some referred to her as smug, it might have ruffled a few feathers, though I don't think she meant it as an aspersion.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thrilled that Nancy won - her bakes were the ones I actually wanted to eat. She'd learned the traditional way - by baking to please her family for years and years. It's good to have an elegant granny as the winner for once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way was Nancy's baking inferior to either Richard's or Luis's in the final?

If it wasn't, they made the right choice surely.

I said" result aside" , my beef is with their apparent justification.
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops that "Neither" response will piss some people off.

Yes, that was very arrogant and dismissive. The diplomatic reply would have been "Ooh I don't know - they were both so good" not that flat "Neither" which made it sound like she didn't think either of them had a chance against her.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »
    Yes, that was very arrogant and dismissive. The diplomatic reply would have been "Ooh I don't know - they were both so good" not that flat "Neither" which made it sound like she didn't think either of them had a chance against her.

It was just her sense of humour, she does not know what Brand is gonna be questioning her on and I don't think Nancy dealt with the television cameras as well as the other contestants. I think she's a bit shy and sometimes comes across as over compensating for that. Her emotion got the better of her at the end of "The Great British Bake Off" on BBC one and there she let the mask slip.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I said" result aside" , my beef is with their apparent justification.
    So apart from the result, you didn't like the result?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So apart from the result, you didn't like the result?

I did not say I did not like it, I did not mind it. I mind that they justified it so poorly.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo asked Nancy who she'd viewed as more of a threat going into the final, Luis or Richard.

Nancy replied 'Neither'.

Seeing as some referred to her as smug, it might have ruffled a few feathers, though I don't think she meant it as an aspersion.

Oh right. Will have to catch up with it, but I am guessing she was joking. She has that sort of sense of humour, like her calling Paul the male judge :D She gets on very well with Richard and Luis as well. All the bakers this year speak very highly of each other.
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »

I just think she misunderstood the question and didn't want to imply that either had made her feel threatened. Threat is a very negative word and Jo should have said 'rival' or 'competition'. E.g 'Who was your greatest rival on the day, Richard or Luis?". That's what I think anyway.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant final. One of the few shows on tv that i rarely get annoyed at any of the contestants.

Change nothing for the next series. Well done Nancy
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was so obvious Richard and Luis didn't win from the looks on their faces last night.

I thought several people posted that it was obvious that Richard won from his appearance on The One Show?
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It had to be Nancy and I grew to really like and admire her in the final. She was calmness personified, almost machine-like, whilst still retaining a sense of humour. The technical challenge showed she's best at the basics and then she wowed with that spectacular red windmill (that actually spun!) for her Showstopper.

The guys were disappointing, especially Richard. He had a calamitous final - and that fluorescent green icing at the end was unforgivable!

Loved Chetna's reaction when the winner was announced and I so want to read Norman's autobiography :D

Cracking series, sad it's over but I'm sure the next one will be along before we know it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy had a slight air of smugness on The One Show the other night.

I would not read too much into it, could just be her trying to avoid giving away anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a bit impolite to mention someone's medical problems under that circumstance tbh. The fact they conspicuously mentioned she'd stopped baking kind of implies not.

I think if she was getting over it then something would have been said which suggests that there has not been any change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    The only week she came any where close to going was the semi-final against Chetna.

Richard was saved by the fact that Diana had left, otherwise he likely would have gone that week. When there were many more competitors still in the competition. (if you are going to moan).

In the end all three were very credible finalists but Nancy performed stronger in the final therefore wins.

You don't say the winner of the 100m at the olympics should have been the one who posted a quicker time in the heats. It is the one who wins the final race when up against the best that are left.
    I was going to post something similar. It is who bakes best but also who can bake well under pressure. In most events if you suffer from nerves in the final then you lose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trophy. No cash prize as far as I know. I suspect whether they make money/a career out of it is entirely up to them.

Many do something like writing but others seem to do more charity and teaching work.