Options

soap decisions you wish never happened

grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sandy being Darren's mum in hollyoaks.
Bringing in Big Bob (I'm still having nightmares)
Phelan not bulldozing Anna and Owen's house and taking Anna with him.
Most of the Roscoes in hollyoaks
The Nazirs in coronation street.

Do not refer to an executive producer as I with most people wouldn't want BK to return to hollyoaks. Or Lorraine Newman to go to EastEnders. Stuart Blackburn at coronation Street and emmerdale. All of those ones.

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,316
    Forum Member
    The worst decision a soap has ever made was to kill off Pat Evans, a versatile, fully developed, interesting, funny unique character. Nothing else even comes close. It damaged the show which is still recovering from this loss. It's a decision that has confused the cast and crew as much as us viewers.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dean in EE becoming a rapist - unless DTC has a plan (and a very good one!) Dean is gone once the truth is revealed.

He had so much potential when he returned.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Dean in EE becoming a rapist - unless DTC has a plan (and a very good one!) Dean is gone once the truth is revealed.

He had so much potential when he returned.

I agree- given how well Dean's return has gone, and that 3 20something actors are leaving already in the next 6 months, it seems premature on the part of DTC to put a returning character in a position where their remaining in the show seems untenable. Dean has so much more potential but given this sl can he realistically stay much longer??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    The worst decision a soap has ever made was to kill off Pat Evans, a versatile, fully developed, interesting, funny unique character. Nothing else even comes close. It damaged the show which is still recovering from this loss. It's a decision that has confused the cast and crew as much as us viewers.

Heartily agree
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with most of the OP's list

:D at Big Bob remark!

Biggest mistakes for me in recent years:

EE - Peggy not dying in the Vic fire

Corrie - Tracy getting released from prison
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Dodger as Nico's father has to be one of the worst decisions, as well as Darren being Sandy's son and killing off both Lomax parents.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killing off the Lomax Parents,
    Mercedes' death,
    Sonny bloody Valentine,
    Blake Twincest,
    Killing off Pat Evans,
    Killing off Carl King,
    Tracy released from prison,
    Sorry OP but the BBC appointing BK as the new ep of EastEnders, it's still recovering from his decisions now as mentioned above.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I agree- given how well Dean's return has gone, and that 3 20something actors are leaving already in the next 6 months, it seems premature on the part of DTC to put a returning character in a position where their remaining in the show seems untenable. Dean has so much more potential but given this sl can he realistically stay much longer??

I would love to hear DTC's reasons for what he's done to Dean and the thinking behind it.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

I am not sure you can say that, because even if she wasnt dead, Pam had chosen to leave so would still not be in the show anyway. you can't force actors to stay on the show
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree with most posted in particular the Carl King muder by SB.

I think making sophie inCorrie a lesbian was a massive mistake, I get the sian story and the love between them but that didnt mean she couldnt go back to men. then if she had we wouldnt have had jenna, her mum or maddie
  • Options
    Dean_FranceDean_France Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Stuart Blackburn and Bryan Kirkwood. Given us the most boring era of soap seeing as they have both just swapped soaps. What are the powers that be thinking?

Killing off Carl King and under using him for months.
    Killing off Pat Evans.

Killing off Kathy Beale, Angie Watts, Cindy Beale and Mark Fowler off screen.

Axing Brookside.

Marlon Dingle in general being alive and ruining Ashley Thomas in the process.

Coronation Streets obsession with male killers every few years after the last one... John, Stape, Tony Gordan, and Karl Munroe. Bad boys like Charlie Stubbs and Alan Bradley seem a thing of the past. Owen Armstrong is the only macho man and he is leaving.

Corries obsession with loving women and hating men. Has it always been that way?
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    Corrie should have never Killed off Tina.
    Eastenders should have never killed off Lucy Beale.
    Hollyoaks should have never bought back Theresa McQueen.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    All Hollyoaks related

Bringing back Theresa McQueen

Killing off Carmel McQueen

HO Twincest

Not ending the domestic abuse storyline with Maxine's wedding day revelation. Everything since that point has been unnecessary.

Nancy's affair with Rick

Remarrying Darren and Nancy to split them again a few episodes later

Joe/Freddie/Lynsey triangle
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,316
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I am not sure you can say that, because even if she wasnt dead, Pam had chosen to leave so would still not be in the show anyway. you can't force actors to stay on the show

Pam had every intention of returning though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Male rape in prison was the perfect way to go with Dean and making up with Shirley Carter and getting to terms with Buster and Mick Carter being his brother an running the Salon.

I liked Sonny Valentine but he was ruined the moment they knew Teresa McQueen was returning, I hate that character, Her return is one more added to the list actually!
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandy being Darren's mum in hollyoaks.
    Bringing in Big Bob (I'm still having nightmares)
    Phelan not bulldozing Anna and Owen's house and taking Anna with him.
    Most of the Roscoes in hollyoaks
    The Nazirs in coronation street.

Do not refer to an executive producer as I with most people wouldn't want BK to return to hollyoaks. Or Lorraine Newman to go to EastEnders. Stuart Blackburn at coronation Street and emmerdale. All of those ones.

Do u mean Big Bob from River City ( bbc Scotland Soap)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axing Brookside.

This ^^^ imagine what it would have been like now, then again, it's probably better off dead, knowing what HO is like.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE: Killing off Pat/Cindy/Kathy/Angie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    attitude99 wrote: »
    This ^^^ imagine what it would have been like now, then again, it's probably better off dead, knowing what HO is like.

The only good thing BK has done is remove the teenage soap tag. A mixture of both is much better.

Brookside just needed a rest and good producer. If the next 6 months had to be rubbish while stuff behind the scenes were sorted for it to slowly get better then so be it.

I liked The Murrays and the bullying plot despite the low figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only good thing BK has done is remove the teenage soap tag. A mixture of both is much better.

Brookside just needed a rest and good producer. If the next 6 months had to be rubbish while stuff behind the scenes were sorted for it to slowly get better then so be it.

I liked The Murrays and the bullying plot despite the low figures.

The Murrays were a bit like the Carters today really.

Like you say, all it needed was to sort itself out. But of course, Phil Redmond comes back & has a siege/helicopter crash which didn't really help the show tbf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Murrays were a bit like the Carters today really.

Like you say, all it needed was to sort itself out. But of course, Phil Redmond comes back & has a siege/helicopter crash which didn't really help the show tbf.

Imagine if BK was around in those days?

It was fun but what was needed was long term plans. I loved that show even in it's later days.
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Do u mean Big Bob from River City ( bbc Scotland Soap)

Oh no I'm talking about Robert Gupta from hollyoaks Britain's scariest villain. And his tragic story of his death and the sad mourning of Nana Gupta.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    agree with most posted in particular the Carl King muder by SB.

I think making sophie inCorrie a lesbian was a massive mistake, I get the sian story and the love between them but that didnt mean she couldnt go back to men. then if she had we wouldnt have had jenna, her mum or maddie

I don't agree with that.

Just because the producers made a mistake with Jenna does not make the original decision a mistake.

A worse decision would have been to make her turn back to men.

As for Maddie. I quite like her.

However I do think having Sophie turn to religion was a mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine if BK was around in those days?

It was fun but what was needed was long term plans. I loved that show even in it's later days.

I know, it would have been even more sensationalist than what it was, but then it toned down a bit really after the bullying plot. I wonder how many victims have actually killed their bullies though?

2003 was okay actually. It had the characters who were pretty fun to watch. I watched all of the last 3 years on YouTube & I particularly liked Bev & her son Josh & their storyline together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know, it would have been even more sensationalist than what it was, but then it toned down a bit really after the bullying plot. I wonder how many victims have actually killed their bullies though?

2003 was okay actually. It had the characters who were pretty fun to watch. I watched all of the last 3 years on YouTube & I particularly liked Bev & her son Josh & their storyline together.

I remember Bev and Josh and their neighbor was the Doctor who called Josh a "delinquent." I just started high school but remember being shocked as I new he was naughty haha.