The Obligatory Christmas Movie thread

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes it's that time of year where Christmas lights and decorations enrich our inner cities and stretch down the aisles of shops. Where adverts reminds us that Holidays are coming and fun songs become sad affairs overlapping images of cutesy animals all the while urging us to spend spend spend.

Yes everyone it's December... ermm I mean November. Time to dust the old dvd's and tv guides and pick which of the repeats this year we want to watch. Take a look at your 2004 copy of Tv Choice and pretty much know what is showing today.

Christmas classics everyone!
What are your favourite Christmas films?!

My favourite Christmas movies are a mix of traditional and less obvious Christmas themed ones.
Like these:

The Great Escape - No sign of Xmas at all but always on every year and a great movie in it's own right
Die Hard - Gotta love this action mayhem movie with classic one-liners and an awesome badguy.
Gremlins - I love this film. And the gremlins sort of remind me of how kids are during this time
Elf - I just find this very funny. Has become a bit of a staple for Xmas now
The Nightmare Before Christmas - The animation and music is just great
Scrooged - Cheesy ending but I love how it takes the Christmas Carol film to a different place.
One Magic Christmas - It has Harry Dean Stanton in it as an Angel. I have not seen this film in years. Loved it as a kid.
*1Mickey's Christmas Carol - Not actually that well know but this early 80's disney version of Christmas Carol is one of my fave versions. It's beautiful sweet.
*2 A Muppets Christmas Caro; - The Henson team outshone themselves with this and I adore the music. Sadly one of my favourite songs in it was often cut for showing or on DVD.
Miracle on 34th Street - Either version works for me. Absolute Classic
It's a Wonderful Life - Goes without saying really
Small One - A short but a very emotional one. Think I had it on the same VHS AS mickey's Christmas Carol. Either way sad but poignant and I adore it SO much.
Ernest Saves Christmas - Guilty pleasure movie.
Santa Claus: The Movie - I can't help myself but I love watching this film every year. I especially like the old folklore vibe origin of Santa in it too.
Carpenter's The Thing - Not remotely Christmas based or connected to Christmas as a classic but This is my favourite film and it based in a cold climate. Think of the Thing as an Alien Santa Claus :D

*1 Just listen to the opening song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDLKzs5AtA

*2 Sobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO_Y5lzSLZI

Comments

• Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will probably re-watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy over the festive period. I'll go with the extended version of Fellowship, and the theatrical versions of the other two.

My favourite Christmas-ish film is the Laurel and Hardy short 'Laughing Gravy'.
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Great list, OP. I'd also have Die Hard, Scrooged and It's a Wonderful Life.

One of my favourites is Meet Me In St Louis. It's colourful, it's joyous, it's sad, it stars Judy Garland and it's got classic tunes like "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "The Trolley Song".

And also National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's a bit tired round the edges, but Chevy Chase as Clark Griswald and his red neck relatives can still make me lol. The humour is so daft:

Ruby Sue: Rocky bit my thumb. Him's nervous.

Clark: Nervous or excited?

Ruby Sue: Shittin' bricks.

Clark: You shouldn't use that word.

Ruby Sue: Sorry. Shittin' rocks
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,668
    Forum Member
    I try to watch as many different versions of 'A Christmas Carol' as I can manage. There's

1. The Kelsey Grammer version which is pretty awful
    2. Patrick Stewart's version which isn't bad and sticks pretty close to the text
    3. Alastair Simm, probably the definitive
    4. Albert Finney in the Oliver! rip off
    5. The Jim Carrey cartoon version
    6. Mickey's Christmas Carol - awww!
    7. Muppets' Christmas Carol
    8. Scrooged, the only modernised version I can cope with (the Ross Kemp version was horrible

After that lot I can usually manage to quote the novel!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I try to watch as many different versions of 'A Christmas Carol' as I can manage. There's

2. Patrick Stewart's version which isn't bad and sticks pretty close to the text
    8. Scrooged, the only modernised version I can cope with (the Ross Kemp version was horrible

That is a brilliant version. The Muppets version is also very good and imaginative.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the 1984 version with George C Scott like?
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »

That's a lot of Christmas Carolling :D
    I really need to see some of them myself. Caught bits and pieces of the older films but can't remember the last time I sat through a whole one.

5. The animation for that film is freaky
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Muppets Christmas Carol - Simply the best Christmas movie
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,668
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »

Oh yeah forgot that one! It's not bad athough I'm not a fan of Scott's version of Scrooge but there's still some cracking stuff in there. There's also a couple of other cartoon versions, one I saw as a youngster which I haven't seen since and a musical one from a few years ago with Kate Winslet.
    CBFreak wrote: »
    That's a lot of Christmas Carolling :D
    I really need to see some of them myself. Caught bits and pieces of the older films but can't remember the last time I sat through a whole one.

5. The animation for that film is freaky

I just love the story, can't get enough of it!
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Bad santa is by far the best Christmas film!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    The Muppets Christmas Carol - Simply the best Christmas movie

Yes, it's a cracker.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home alone 1 and 2 are my essential xmas viewing

and The Grinch with Jim Carrey
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »

It's middle of the road. I think it's kind of overrated. It usually gets mentioned as one of the best versions.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrooged
    A Christmas Story
    Home Alone
    Home Alone: Lost in New York
    Santa Claus: The Movie
    A Christmas Carol
    Arthur Christmas
    The Muppet Christmas Carol
    Black Christmas
    Gremlins
    Noel
    While You Were Sleeping
    A Mom for Christmas
    The Snowman
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    The Polar Express
    Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Christmas in Connecticut

Steptoe and Son/Ride Again, Chicago Cab and Untamed Heart aren't Christmas films, but they remind me of Christmas time because I've watched them a lot over the holiday period.
  • MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me who likes watching those god awful made-for-TV Christmas films that channel 5 show every year? Last two years I reckon I've watched between 15 and 20 in total, that was when I was a student though so won't be able to catch many this year as I'm in full time work. They're just good for a laugh because they're so bad, terrible acting and predictable, cringeworthy storylines but it makes them brilliant.

In terms of decent films, Love Actually is one I watch every year. Now I've got Sky Movies too I'm just going to hammer the Christmas movie channel in December and watch as many as I can.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »

The Great Escape - No sign of Xmas at all but always on every year and a great movie in it's own right

Beg to differ.

At one point Cavendish has his choir singing 'The 12 Days Of Xmas' to cover the noise of the escape preparation.

Also, the trees in the trucks that several of them try to hide in during their first day 'blitz' attempts looks like Xmas trees!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Christmas? A particular film always springs to mind...

A. The five month wait to see it.
    B. The shivering queue down the side of the building longer than you'd ever seen, and the worry of not getting in.
    C. The previous audience emerging, many with 'something in their eye'.
    D. The astronomical hype. The definitive 'must see'. And it didn't disappoint.
    E. T.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Beg to differ.

At one point Cavendish has his choir singing 'The 12 Days Of Xmas' to cover the noise of the escape preparation.

Also, the trees in the trucks that several of them try to hide in during their first day 'blitz' attempts looks like Xmas trees!

Oops of course duh. I feel ashamed to have forgotten that.

--

Actually found One Magic Christmas on Netflix last night and watched it. Brought back childhood memories and Christmas feels. Only thing though is I cringe every time I hear " My brother is never going to believe this" That was lazy on the directors part.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Holiday

I love this film so much. I love the sets too - the little, quirky cottage in England and then the massive, wonderful house in LA.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely, closely followed by Die Hard.:cool:
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, closely followed by Die Hard.:cool:

Die Hard wins because of the feel good ending when Sgt Al Powell realises he can kill people again! Hooray for guns! Merry Xmas one and all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Mmmbop wrote: »
    Is it just me who likes watching those god awful made-for-TV Christmas films that channel 5 show every year? Last two years I reckon I've watched between 15 and 20 in total, that was when I was a student though so won't be able to catch many this year as I'm in full time work. They're just good for a laugh because they're so bad, terrible acting and predictable, cringeworthy storylines but it makes them brilliant.

In terms of decent films, Love Actually is one I watch every year. Now I've got Sky Movies too I'm just going to hammer the Christmas movie channel in December and watch as many as I can.

I love watching Christmas 24 which has all those dodgy TV movies on it... they are so bad they are good!!! I adore watching them every year.

Other than the them I have a list I watch every year including Die Hard 1&2, Love Actually, Bad Santa, Elf, Winnie the Pooh and Christmas too, Home Alone 1&2, The Polar Express,Jingle All the Way with a load more if I have time. I have a few I watch every Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... It's a Wonderful Life, A Muppets Christmas Carol and a film with Lauren Bacall called All I Want for Christmas which used to be on every Christmas when I was a kid.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member

Love this one. Along with:

Elf (my absolute fave!)
    Love Actually
    The Holiday
    The Grinch
    Christmas With The Kranks
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    boobyloo wrote: »
    a film with Lauren Bacall called All I Want for Christmas which used to be on every Christmas when I was a kid.

I LOVE that movie! Granted my love for it stems more from the nostalgia aspect than it actually being a good film :D, but it's so sweet and I love the portrayal of New York City at Christmas (see also: Elf). I too watched it every year when I was younger. Didn't realise anyone else did, though - I've never heard anyone else mention it!