Options

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part.1

iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Catching Fire was amazing and everyone seems excited about the next film so thought It was time to start an official Mockingjay thread dedicated to the next film.

Obviously if you want to put spoilers make sure they aren't visible to everyone as not everybody has read the books. (If you haven't you really should, they're great!)

The film is due out 21st November 2014!

Comments

• Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Sadly the part of Plutarch Heavensbee will have to be recast following the sad death of Philip Seymour Hoffman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26009575
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Sadly the part of Plutarch Heavensbee will have to be recast following the sad death of Philip Seymour Hoffman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26009575

Not really. They could easily do a script change, but at the moment, i doubt it's the last thing they are thinking of.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. I am sure they will find a way to deal with that. We don't know how much of Part 2 has been filmed anyway on if it affects it. It would be very disrespectful to suddenly re-cast a part he had previously played in Catching Fire and the upcoming Mockinjay part 1.

Disrespectful? The Harry Potter people didn't have a problem in replacing Richard Harris with Michael Gambon after his death. Why not for the HG people to do the same?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Disrespectful? The Harry Potter people didn't have a problem in replacing Richard Harris with Michael Gambon after his death. Why not for the HG people to do the same?

Deleted.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Hollywood and respect do not normally go together. The studio making the film will do whatever they have to, to protect their investment, and if that means a recast they will do it.
  • Options
    BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its terrible such a great actor who made catching fire. They are now filming the last film (MJ PART 2) I believe where unlike when Richard Harris died he had another 6 to go. I think probably a deviation from the book would probably be best and have Plutarch be assassinated by the capitol (off scene). Extra scenes including a memorial for plutarch could be incredibly emotional and pay tribute to Philip far more then a recast would. After part 1 his role in the war takes a back seat anyway.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's likely they'll have to recast the part, filming isn't due to finish for months and it's 99.9% likely his scenes won't be completed, particularly given the prominence the character played.

What I do find disrespectful is how quickly people start talking about the business part of things like this - it took about 10 minutes for someone to post it in this thread! A man has just died, business should be the last thing on everyone's minds today at least. It can be sorted out later, let his family and friends have peace to grieve.
  • Options
    BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's likely they'll have to recast the part, filming isn't due to finish for months and it's 99.9% likely his scenes won't be completed, particularly given the prominence the character played.

What I do find disrespectful is how quickly people start talking about the business part of things like this - it took about 10 minutes for someone to post it in this thread! A man has just died, business should be the last thing on everyone's minds today at least. It can be sorted out later, let his family and friends have peace to grieve.

Thats how some people react to shocking news though they rationalise and try and find a logical solution to avoid thinking about the inevitable.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of technical wizardry could easily make him still be part of the movie.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    No no need for a recast, he was an extraordinary actor imo very underated..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the trailer? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lily.xo wrote: »
    Where is the trailer? :(

Good grief, it's not out until November! Last year they kicked off the whole promotional circus at Cannes, which isn't for another couple of weeks, and there's no suggestion that they'll be doing the same this year.

Filming looks as if it has only just finished (or hasn't even finished yet), so the cast have either moved on to their next projects or are having some downtime (or indeed finishing off Mockingjay filming).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, ok. But a trailer was released by this point and it's already been confirmed that there will be no trailer at Cannes. Filming has just moved to Paris.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Can someone remind me how to do a spoiler on here

Just so I don't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the books :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ] without spaces :)
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, Catching Fire was released 20 months after The Hunger Games. The promotion for it began a year after the release of the first film.

It's only been 6 months since the release of Catching Fire, it's only recently come out on DVD and Blu Ray. While I'd like to see the promo campaign beginning soon, they don't need to overdo it and risk creating a Hunger Games fatigue. The films are still very much in the public awareness. Any promo at this point would merely be a fan service.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't the obvious difference being that Harry Potter had 5-6 more movies unmade that recast was needed, Harris died between the filming of 2 and 3 whereas for PSH's role he had almost fully completed his role in the last movie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im hoping they include footage of Haymitch in his Hunger games appearance but I fear they wont
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have minded if they had re-cast Philip Seymour Hoffman's role personally. I didn't think he was all that good in Catching Fire. Well, they certainly didn't give him a lot to work with anyway. But as he'd almost finished filming the last two Mockingjay's anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Spoilers below for people who haven't read Mockingjay.
    Is anyone else wondering how they're going to approach certain events in the books? The series as a whole is very dark, but Mockingjay seems to take it to a whole new level.

Prim and the children from the Capitol being killed by the exploding parachutes is a very dark incident that immediately springs to mind. Obviously they won't show it directly, especially if they're still aiming for a 12A certificate. But getting that event across to the audience is going to be pretty difficult. Ditto with Finnick's death and the hospital in District 8 being bombed.

Also, Katniss spends most of the book on the verge of a mental breakdown, suffering from PTSD. This is going to be a stark contrast to the somewhat stoic figure portrayed in the first two films. Obviously there will be other characters to focus on. But given she is the lead character, she rarely seems to be in control of any of the events that occur in Mockingjay. Well not until the latter half of the book anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great books. In fact, I'd argue that Mockingjay is my favourite out of the three. But I'm just concerned about how the film will portray certain events from the book, and whether sanitising them would detract from the resonance that the author intended them to have. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they would tweak the ending for Mockingjay because the ending was quite weak - momentum was built for a big finish but pfffttttttt there wasn't any at the end
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The worst book gets two movies. Just like Breaking Dawn.

My guess is that like the other HG movies, it will be a rush job.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's coming out one day earlier in the UK now. Not sure why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Men is the same, for some reason we're getting it a day before the US...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are our thoughts, who is looking forward to November?

Personally Book 3 was my least favourite, but i'm hoping they can bring more into film than the book did