Food getting caught in your throat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A wee while ago, a bit of steak got caught in my throat and my parents had to Heimlich it out of me. Now, whenever I'm eating beef, I'm careful to chew it as much as possible. But I just had a wee incident there where a bit of the beef shin I'm eating (yes, it's nice :D) got stuck in my throat. Not so far down as to choke me, however.

This has happened a couple of times since the first incident, and now it brings on palpitations. It's really quite scary, as I'm home alone. In this case, I stood up and calmly went for a wee walk down the hall to take my mind of the piece of animal meat shawshanking its way through my pharynx. I swallowed a few times and eventually it got into my gullet.

Really bloody scary, though. I think I've now got some kind of choking phobia. It'll put a stop to my extracurricular activities.

Anyone else the same?

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wee while ago, a bit of steak got caught in my throat and my parents had to Heimlich it out of me. Now, whenever I'm eating beef, I'm careful to chew it as much as possible. But I just had a wee incident there where a bit of the beef shin I'm eating (yes, it's nice :D) got stuck in my throat. Not so far down as to choke me, however.

This has happened a couple of times since the first incident, and now it brings on palpitations. It's really quite scary, as I'm home alone. In this case, I stood up and calmly went for a wee walk down the hall to take my mind of the piece of animal meat shawshanking its way through my pharynx. I swallowed a few times and eventually it got into my gullet.

Really bloody scary, though. I think I've now got some kind of choking phobia. It'll put a stop to my extracurricular activities.

Anyone else the same?

Might be worth asking the doctor for a procedure called a barium swallow, which would show if your gullet (oesophagus) has any narrow bits in it. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, some people just do have to be careful not to swallow too large lumps of food, but at least you'd know. In the meantime, only take very small bites of meat (that's what generally gets stuck), and you should be fine. It could just be psychological, though, all of us get bits of food stuck in the back of the throat sometimes - I hate that feeling!
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had to be heimliched, but each time a bit of food gets stuck, or goes down the wrong way, I manage to free it by coughing, but I always sneeze a few seconds later, and my eyes run.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of my permanent tonsillitus which they wont do a damn op for i get food caught in my throat and choke all the time the gap between the tonsils is a joke. Moan over. It is very alarming when it dont shift on 4 occasions i have been lucky enough to pull things back up with my fingers that havent slipped right down.Heimliched twice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :o..that happened to me last week at work......one of the guys I work with seemed to think I was joking....couldn't tell him otherwise at the time....it was when I started to go purple he got the message........nearly cracked a few ribs in the process...gave me a wee fright I don't mind telling you....I'm never eating again...just in case.....:o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in Amsterdam I got some spunk caught in my throat. I thought I was choking. It was also far too salty for my liking. :(
  • BrianlionBrianlion Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happens to me, drink water to solve it the problem
  • Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone else the same?

It sounds like this may be down to anxiety after the first incident when you choked :(
    I think perhaps the gullet does constrict or something when we become distressed.

Why would a choking phobia put a stop to your extra-curricular activities - are you a wine-taster or something?
    Hope you can overcome it anyway x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a sister in A&E we once had a child brought into the department after choking on a piece of beef, and subsequently died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member

Anyone else the same?

i had a smiliar experience. i was eatin fish and chips..and i was rushing throgh them, when abit got stuck. i could breath. it was like i was goin to dye. i tried to drink water and that just got stuck on top of my food..i dont know how i manged to get my slef to the bin and i forced it all to come up (sorry for the details) any way since then it has happened to me loads of times. and i never actually took it seriously until i read this thread!
    maybe there is a chocking phobia.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not had what the OP had, but sometimes you do a swallow too much food at one go, and you can tell as it really hurts when it passes down, for a second or two.
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I've not had what the OP had, but sometimes you do a swallow too much food at one go, and you can tell as it really hurts when it passes down, for a second or two.

I get this, normally when I have eaten way to much crap food like pizza or burger & chips :o Boy does it hurt!!
  • StociousStocious Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/312/7028/450/a

Have a look at this, it shows you how to do the manouvre on yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heimlich manuovre is not recommended anymore... three strong blows with the hand between the shoulder blades is now practiced. I presume due to mistakes from not knowing how to do it effectively.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone else the same?
    susie4964 wrote: »
    Might be worth asking the doctor for a procedure called a barium swallow, which would show if your gullet (oesophagus) has any narrow bits in it. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, some people just do have to be careful not to swallow too large lumps of food, but at least you'd know. In the meantime, only take very small bites of meat (that's what generally gets stuck), and you should be fine. It could just be psychological, though, all of us get bits of food stuck in the back of the throat sometimes - I hate that feeling!

I went for a barium swallow many years ago and was diagnosed with 'globus' apparently very common in women with stress.

It went over time but more recently again (without the x-ray) the doctor suggested it had returned.

I have a tightening of the throat and sometimes have to 'double swallow' it does go but you may need to re-evaluate your lifestyle :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    three strong blows with the hand between the shoulder blades is now practiced.

I dont have a hand between my shoulder blades :confused::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie4964 wrote: »

I would look into that, if I was really into my steaks. But it's really just on the few occasions in a month when I have beef, and it has only ever happened with beef.
    It sounds like this may be down to anxiety after the first incident when you choked :(
    I think perhaps the gullet does constrict or something when we become distressed.

Why would a choking phobia put a stop to your extra-curricular activities - are you a wine-taster or something?
    Hope you can overcome it anyway x

Yes, it's a real feeling of being panicked. Even when it happened before while I was with other people, I was sitting looking quite calm while I desperately swallowed to clear the obstruction. I almost grabbed my mate's bottle of juice - but it almost seems futile, as I explain below.
    dopey123 wrote: »
    i had a smiliar experience. i was eatin fish and chips..and i was rushing throgh them, when abit got stuck. i could breath. it was like i was goin to dye. i tried to drink water and that just got stuck on top of my food..i dont know how i manged to get my slef to the bin and i forced it all to come up (sorry for the details) any way since then it has happened to me loads of times. and i never actually took it seriously until i read this thread!
    maybe there is a chocking phobia.

This is what I did the first time - I stuck my mouth under the tap and tried to swallow some water, but it just formed a puddle in the back of my throat. So any other time after that, I'm almost too scared to try drinking water, in case the same thing happens.

I've played it out in my head how it would probably go if I was unable to dislodge the offending bit of cow - I'd grab a knife and stick it into my windpipe.

I should probably just chew my food more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nor could you give yourself the Heimlich, you need someone to give you a helping hand ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor could you give yourself the Heimlich, you need someone to give you a helping hand ;)

There's a self-administered version - although I'd still probably reach for the knife first.
    Stocious wrote: »
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/312/7028/450/a

Have a look at this, it shows you how to do the manouvre on yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a self-administered version.

I know, I'm just talking about the traditional manouvre ;)
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Heimlich manuovre is not recommended anymore

Is that true?

I've had a phobia of choking all my life...I can't swallow pills I chew them. In the seventies I ran a bistro and one night a woman choked on a piece of steak. Her friends were thumping her on the back but it wasn't working and it was so frightening to see. Her colour changed, her eyes started to bulge, the choking noise was horrible.

Suddenly a man at another table realised what was happening and jumped up and did the Heimlich. The meat popped out like a champagne cork. Afterwards he explained that he was an American Airlines pilot and they'd just been taught this new manouevre. It certainly saved her life. Givng her water was useless; her throat was blocked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Is that true?

Well, I know during my advanced life support training, I was taught three sharp blows with the hand between the shoulderblades is now concidered the norm. If someone is competent on the heimlich, I don't see any reason it shouldn't be used in a life threatening situation!
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Quite Magenta! If I was choking I wouldn't care who did what to me.

Terrifying when you're the observer though and don't know what to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member

Anyone else the same?

This has happened to me. It's soooo horrible!! I thought I was going to die...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has also happened to me. It started with a bit of toast stuck in my throat. I tried to dislodge it by drinking water but the toast was blocking the way so it came back up. I panicked so much I ended up being carted off to hospital. :o They were going to do an x-ray because it wouldn't budge but when I stretched my neck up to rest my chin on the machine it moved the obstruction.

It happened again with a very small pill, only this got stuck much further down, I'd say at the opening to my stomach, that's where it felt like anyway.

I now eat very very slowly, chew things almost to the point of nothingness and still get things sticking sometimes.

At the beginning I ended up having panic attacks whenever I left the house because I was so worried that I'd choke to death. Thankfully this has gone now.

I always have to drink lots while I'm eating as dry things tend to not go down very well.

Anyway, strange as it may seem, reading about everyone else's problems makes me a bit more relaxed as it's obviously more common than I thought and we're all still here!