Options

ITV Player now blocked for ad-blocking users

13»

Comments

• Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV is heading towards a pay TV strategy although Adam Crozier keeps going on about how ITV1, ITV's SD digital channels, basic ITV Player and so forth will remain advertising supported. My take on it is that in five years, I'll believe it when I see it.

I suppose you could have an ad-free ITV (paid by sub) running on the web (and/or satellite) parallel to the normal ITV service. So you would have, on both systems, a pre-recorded programme starting at 7.30pm, but when the ad break comes on at 7.42, the web service just keeps the programme going until it finishes, which would be 5 minutes ahead of the TV service finishing.

After this time the web service would, I suppose, be blank until the next programme. Something like a football match could simply have crowd shots instead of the half-time ads?

OK, it's clumsy and untidy, but if you could watch your fave programme without ads, it might be worth a small sub?
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, this is somewhat interesting.

I'm using Safari on my iMac and saw that the mini player away from ITV Player came up as 'Ad-Blocked' (words to that effect.)

Weirdly enough I haven't got one installed on my computer....

But ITV Player works fine on the website!
  • Options
    LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    ITV player works fine for me with an ad-blocking script on my router to kill the ads on Firefox Linux but 4OD doesn't work on either my computer or PS3 due to ad-blocking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Ad blockers will just evolve. Silly ITV.
  • Options
    EUROPAEUROPA Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what dont kill you makes you CBS

its not the adverts its the TIME
    emerdale
    with adverts 30mins
    without adverts 22mins

so watch 3 no advert episodes for 2 with ads

when you watch a one hour prog from ITV its only 46 mins with adblock

i think wining the war against TVkechup has made em big and strong ....

next target - that mad greek :eek:
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got their little message at the start of a video.

I think I'll pass and just not bother watching it.

I would not have a clue how to disable AdBlock for ITV.com anyway.
  • Options
    EUROPAEUROPA Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it dont stop you at the mo just gives you a message b4 prog
    hulu have been doing it for a while .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    EUROPA wrote: »
    it dont stop you at the mo just gives you a message b4 prog
    hulu have been doing it for a while .....

Ah, right, thank you. :)

I watched it on STVs site. They don't have the same policy (yet)
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you're using firefox you'll see a little red stop sign thing in the bottom left corner of the page with the words "ABP" in. Just click on that and select disable for itv.com.
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV player is awful im surprised anyone watches it.
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    ITV player is awful im surprised anyone watches it.

You should try using it on the Humax Freesat mate! Its a nightmare, sadly I cant use the web version because I am apparently out of the region that it allows you to view!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The way we watch TV has been changing very quickly since on demand services have become more popular, I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time the majority of TV viewing is through on demand. How will adverts fit around this new model? Will there be a constant cat and mouse game between the big services and advert removal software? Will we ever see adverts on Netflix?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in the USA cable and satellite is mainly subscribed to by people who want specific sports content. most of the 21 - 30 generation is entirely reliant on online content
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote: »
    Well in the USA cable and satellite is mainly subscribed to by people who want specific sports content. most of the 21 - 30 generation is entirely reliant on online content

Why do you think this is different between the UK and US?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJamie wrote: »
    Why do you think this is different between the UK and US?

British TV distribution works differently and there is free TV if you have a sky dish/freesat, or an antenna. So TV is more widely available in the UK. In the USA you have to pay even to get a basic level of TV. Antenna service is available but there is not much worth seeing and as many of the local municipalities hold the franchise license for cable distribution, they enforce laws against new antenna erections. Even the basic 1-5 channels in Britain gives some awesome selection of entertainment before you get to E4 or 5* or pick TV etc. The Free to air channels in the USA give very little other than local news. In Britain even if a subscription channel shows a popular or quality show it will eventually end up being screened on 1-5. Whatever subscription channels screen in the USA stays on subscription channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    If you're using firefox you'll see a little red stop sign thing in the bottom left corner of the page with the words "ABP" in. Just click on that and select disable for itv.com.

Thank you. :) I use Firefox, but I don't have the little red stop sign in the bottom left corner. :(

I left clicked the mouse on ITV.com and did something with AdBlock, but the message still appears. Now Adblcok has disappeared from 'left clicking' too.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you. :) I use Firefox, but I don't have the little red stop sign in the bottom left corner. :(

I left clicked the mouse on ITV.com and did something with AdBlock, but the message still appears. Now Adblcok has disappeared from 'left clicking' too.

Try using another browser such as Chrome or Opera , don't install any adblock add ons and see if that makes a difference.
    I tend to use Chrome for on demand stuff and Firefox for general surfing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Try using another browser such as Chrome or Opera , don't install any adblock add ons and see if that makes a difference.
    I tend to use Chrome for on demand stuff and Firefox for general surfing.

I shall do that, thank you. I have Chrome as well, so will use that without the Adblock. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tried this after seeing the thread. Message telling me they detect adblocker, took about a minute before the programme started (probably the ads that were blocked) same thing happens during what would be the ad breaks. Horrible blocky quality though - which is the problem with the tv versions.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Rhodes, Greece
    For ITV player & BBC iplayer I use the Chrome extension Media Hint
    No need then for a VPN proxy etc
    Both players work very well for me
    I can watch most Freeview Channels as well for Free