Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    "Team GB......... F*** Yeah! :D
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klunk wrote: »
    Actually, I was thinking about Mark Cavendish, and the Isle of Man is not actually part of the UK. So it should be Team the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Crown Dependencies.

You've forgotton the British Overseas Territories - Shara Proctor our Long Jumper is from Anguilla.

I like Team GB sounds quite snappy to me - did laugh at the guys dressed as the Bee Gees in Cardiff the other day Team Bee-Gee. :D
  • klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    You've forgotton the British Overseas Territories - Shara Proctor our Long Jumper is from Anguilla.
    Good point. I admit that the name is now getting rather long, so I have settled on the snappier Team GBNICDOT. Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?
  • Stuart_Green2Stuart_Green2 Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It sounds very tacky or American .We now have prom nights and Halloween .We got our selves into a mess with team Blair and Bush so the world associates us with the USA so why not team USGB
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    I just say "GBR". It trips off the tongue easily, is unmistakable and accurate. What's not to like..?
  • Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    What you do not refer to is Scotland just because the whole Ladies Curling team is Scottish, Team GB is the official designation
  • RondorfRondorf Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you do not refer to is Scotland just because the whole Ladies Curling team is Scottish, Team GB is the official designation

Yes that Scottish curling commentator has had to correct herself 3 times saying Scotland then correcting to GB.
  • CobblersCobblers Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    It’s Team GB for me!!
  • NatashaSmytheNatashaSmythe Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    edited 20/02/18 - 16:47 #35
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    klunk wrote: »
    Actually, I was thinking about Mark Cavendish, and the Isle of Man is not actually part of the UK. So it should be Team the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Crown Dependencies.

I like Team GB sounds quite snappy to me - did laugh at the guys dressed as the Bee Gees in Cardiff the other day Team Bee-Gee. :D

I'm from Bermuda originally, we have our own Olympic Team. Shara Proctor opted for Team GB because Anguilla doesn't have an Olympic Committee so had to transfer to Team GB or couldn't compete.

So now it's Team GB and Northern Ireland, Crown Dependencies and some British Overseas Territories but not all of them. ;p
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those wondering, three of the BOT already had their own NOC before the 1996 Olympic Charter amendments closed that metaphorical door.

They are Bermuda (as already mentioned), the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands.
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Rondorf wrote: »

Yes that Scottish curling commentator has had to correct herself 3 times saying Scotland then correcting to GB.

Indeed. I've heard her refer to Scotland at least 3 times and I've only watched it sporadically.

Imagine the reaction if Claire Balding said that England had won a gold in the skeleton. You'd never hear the end of it...
  • DeafBhoyDeafBhoy Posts: 3,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds very tacky or American .We now have prom nights and Halloween .We got our selves into a mess with team Blair and Bush so the world associates us with the USA so why not team USGB

Yep its American they started this Team USA nonsense years ago. Prom night and Halloween isn't the worst of it there are some parts in the UK saying "mom" :s
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Scottish commentators and players always refer Scotttish or Scotland because the same teams compete with other Scottish teams to represent Scotland in international tournaments and World championships. I think there are perhaps only one or two designated curling rinks in England whereas Scotland has several. When it comes to the Winter Olympics they are the go to 'country' in the UK to 'represent' Team GB.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say the Great Britain and Northern Ireland team. Shameful that a whole country gets dumped, why can't we be the UK team
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Team England in Commonwealth Games is more accurate.
    Although post Brexit, will we have Team London, Team Bigots Who Voted Leave?