Replacing my Sony CRT - seems like a downgrade!

13»

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Thin TVs will always struggle for sound though as you basically need lots of interior volume to reproduce deep bass at a decent power level, whatever the quality of the drivers (even electrostatics).

My 50 inch plasma TV is 2.5 inches deep and has a volume of 3,220 cubic inches. My two external speakers have a total volume of 12,960 cubic inches, four times greater. No TV that thin is going to get anywhere near such speakers or even ones half that size no matter what it costs. For speech, TVs are OK but not for much else - we all need separate amps and speakers for good quality music and effects - and I don't mean sound bars, they are a poor compromise.

But it irritates me intensely that modern TVs are dropping analogue audio outputs as I have a 30 year old Amp in fine condition (with only DIN sockets! :eek:) and an 8 year old even better amp with only phono inputs. Lucky for me that my old Sky Pace PVR and my Panasonic BD recorder/PVR both have phono audio outputs! :D

i could use my Midi system if I really wanted to, as I don't use the TV internal tuner anyway, that is if I had to get another TV, but as i said before it is more cables and mucking around.

Thankfully my plasma got good sound with a good bass on which is good for films, even if you can't hear the stereo separation as the speakers are too close.

I was going to get a 5.1, but then thought what is the point and again more cables.

I am not sure what I will do when my plasma goes belly up, i have said before, I may just drop back to my old CRT.