Xbox chief: we have a product for people who can't get online, it's called Xbox 360

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Cant get online once every 24 hours? Then an XBox One isnt for you. Simply buy an XBox 360! Well that's Microsoft's advice :D
Xbox chief Don Mattrick, in response to the backlash over the Xbox One requiring an internet connection, said that "fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360." As an example, he referred to a crew member on a nuclear submarine, who would be better off with the 360, as it's an "offline device."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/don-mattrick-xbox-360-offline/

Comments

• TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's basically saying if you don't have a reliable 24hr connection.
    **** You! Use the 360?!

Internet connections, no matter how good, WILL at some point be down for any number of reasons; routine maintanance, upgrades etc...

Even if the connection is reliable, I don't trust MS to have THEIR servers up and running 24hrs all the time. What if they're hacked like Sony were for 4 months? That's a £430 Black brick sitting doing squat for the duration.

Arrogant arsehole
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's an expletive strong enough for this guy.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Sounds a bit of a douche doesn't he?

We already have a thread on this on the main gaming forum.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy sounds like such a huge douche. I wouldn't be surprised if his tenure at the company soon came to an end, like the "deal with it" guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Sounds a bit of a douche doesn't he?

We already have a thread on this on the main gaming forum.

Please, and this goes out to all non-Americans, don't use that word. I hate it. Not that it offends or disgusts, it's just far too American. (if that makes sense)
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I apologise profusely.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox chief: we have a product for people who can't get online, it's called Xbox 360

In that case I've got an alternative to the £430 you were asking for ... my middle digit ... deal ?
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Breathtaking arrogance...

But then Microsoft seem to be working on the "we're right, you're wrong - just give us your money" approach to customer interaction.

Only if the One's sales drop through the floor after the pre-orderers and early adopters have got their machines... will MS suddenly decide to "listen" to their customers.

It would be nice to see some senior heads roll at that point too.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I'm sitting here worrying about the future of my console of the choice, the Wii U, but the more I read about the Xbox One, the less worried I become. It's amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breathtaking arrogance...

But then Microsoft seem to be working on the "we're right, you're wrong - just give us your money" approach to customer interaction.

Only if the One's sales drop through the floor after the pre-orderers and early adopters have got their machines... will MS suddenly decide to "listen" to their customers.

It would be nice to see some senior heads roll at that point too.

Well, if it's anything like the banking crisis, they'll more than likely get a massive bonus before 'retiring'.
    Forum Member
    Well, if it's anything like the banking crisis, they'll more than likely get a massive bonus before 'retiring'.

Very true :(
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant get online once every 24 hours? Then an XBox One isnt for you. Simply buy an XBox 360! Well that's Microsoft's advice :D
    The best and most sensible comment they have made since the reveal
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its all wrong.... if you cant get online once every 24 hours? Then an
    XBox One isnt for you. Simply buy a PS 4
    Well that's Microsoft's advice
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there's an expletive strong enough for this guy.

It rhymes with Mattrick! :D
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll steer away from personal insults of the guy himself as he's more than likely just towing party lines, but there is no doubt that this whole debacle from start to finish has been a PR disaster for Microsoft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watch the first 30seconds of the second youtube clip about how
    'Sony won E3.' when they guy goes "And the PS4 will not restrict the
    use of pre-owned games"...you can just see him in his head when he
    looks at the camera and mentally flips the bird and shouts "F YOU
    MICROSOFT, YEAH F YOU...YOU GOING DOWN."
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That reminds me of the restaurant joke.

"yes we do have a vegitarian option... You can f*ck off home"

MS really are taking the piss with their customers. It's almost as if they want to fail.
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I'll steer away from personal insults of the guy himself as he's more than likely just towing party lines, but there is no doubt that this whole debacle from start to finish has been a PR disaster for Microsoft.

And now EA are distancing themselves from the DRM controversy - MS execs must really be starting to feel the strain. Poor dears :D

The words "Train" and "Wreck" don't even to begin to describe the farce that Microsoft have made of the Xbox One launch.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    In the future, where will be a book based on this console launch:

How to lose friends and alienate your core customer base.

Its like they have a checklist of how to piss off....well, everyone. They must be near the end of that list......right? :o
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a chance to keep their existing user base and also steal sony users. Instead they're losing both.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    There is an argument to be made here that Microsoft are entitled to make whatever product they like. Who says they are obliged to stick to tradition? if they have a vision for the future and believe the "power of the cloud" is what will make the difference then that's up to them. If you don't like it then don't buy it, the 360 is an offline device that MS offer.

It's a very risky move and alienates a lot of people but we have to move with the times. the internet/online is a part of all of our lives and this generation of gaming wouldn't of been anywhere near as good as it was without it, that much is a fact.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a 'vision' they think they can pursue, of gaining total control of entertainment in the home. It looks increasingly like there's no chance they'd remove any of the controversial aspects of the machine because they are fundamental to that vision. All the messages they are giving out suggest that they intend to plough on as is, and if they can corner enough TV and Movie tie-ins (with various interactive elements) with attractive DRM protection for their licensees, that they'll have a captive market they can live with. They don't appear to be particularly concerned whether the XB1 appeals to gamers (there's always the 360..) - they just want 'customers'.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    They have a 'vision' they think they can pursue, of gaining total control of entertainment in the home. It looks increasingly like there's no chance they'd remove any of the controversial aspects of the machine because they are fundamental to that vision. All the messages they are giving out suggest that they intend to plough on as is, and if they can corner enough TV and Movie tie-ins (with various interactive elements) with attractive DRM protection for their licensees, that they'll have a captive market they can live with. They don't appear to be particularly concerned whether the XB1 appeals to gamers (there's always the 360..) - they just want 'customers'.

Not concerned about gamers? You see it's these types of comments that really make no sense. Microsoft E3 conference was packed to the brim from beginning to end with games for the hardcore market, new IP's and exclusives, there was no TV or other media or even kinect talk, what more do you want?

I think in a few years time we might understand this vision a little more and how these dedicated online servers can enhance gaming over the long haul.

The golden era of games has been and gone, its retro and we will always have it. The new generation of games is fundamentally intertwined with online, that's the future.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Being online and having a machine which is effectively an expensive doorstop in years to come when servers are turned off don't have to be intertwined. You are effectively just renting everything and Radio Rentals went out in the 80s
    Forum Member
    There is an argument to be made here that Microsoft are entitled to make whatever product they like. Who says they are obliged to stick to tradition? if they have a vision for the future and believe the "power of the cloud" is what will make the difference then that's up to them. If you don't like it then don't buy it, the 360 is an offline device that MS offer.

It's a very risky move and alienates a lot of people but we have to move with the times. the internet/online is a part of all of our lives and this generation of gaming wouldn't of been anywhere near as good as it was without it, that much is a fact.

Oh come on!!! This cheerleading for MS is just getting silly now - 2D you're either trolling or on MS's pay roll :D

Fair play to you for continuing to spout the party line though.

BTW - There's a name for companies that release products that no one wants to buy - bankrupt