Options

The Purge: Anarchy

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,437
Forum Member
✭✭
Hoping to go and see this at some point in the next week. I've read some positive reviews- DS went as far as to say that it even surpassed the patchy original. I love the whole concept of it and how it sets out to critique society's penchant for violence and retribution. Has anyone seen it yet?

Comments

• Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today. Have to say I enjoyed it much more than the first. It wasn't great but decent enough. I liked that there was multiple characters in this one and more action.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me, kayleigh!
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed this, more so than the first. Probably not quite as intense or menacing, but a few frights and action set pieces throughout.

Frank Grillo would make a great Punisher, if Marvel ever considered another stab at that franchise.
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Watched the first one last night and it was awful. I have so many issues with it. Frustratingly bad. I'll probably still go and see the 2nd one though. I'm stupid that way.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the first one was so bad.

But from the trailer this film looks a million times better. It's all out in the open, and not just one family involved. Possibilities are endless, cannot wait to see it :)
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked the first one, to hear that the sequel is supposed to be better really excites me. Not sure if I'll get round to seeing it at the cinema though.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planning on seeing this later this week. I find the concept of it all quite fascinating but the first film was quite disappointing (and obviously quite flawed).

I'm hoping the second will be better at dealing with the concept though I'm a bit worried it will turn it in to more of a typical action film rather than dealing with the thinking of justice and morality - but that's what films do I suppose...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I heard this one is more successful in terms of actually looking at the concept as a moral code and quite cleverly critiquing it in the form of a social commentary.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Better then the first - 8/10

Thought the warring sisters was fun...and a good distraction from the main action, but I thought the whole family were up to something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping to go see it on Thursday night all going to plan!
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miles better than the first one, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite rare that a sequel surpasses the original. The only other (highly debatable) examples I can think of are The Godfather: Part II, Aliens and The Empire Strikes Back
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite rare that a sequel surpasses the original. The only other (highly debatable) examples I can think of are The Godfather: Part II, Aliens and The Empire Strikes Back

I'd add Back to the Future 2, REC 2 and Insidious 2.

Surprised with all the good comments I've seen for this as didn't have hopes for a sequel to a horror movie that wasn't particularly great so I'm keen to see it now.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely better than the first one.

In fact, it's what the first one should have been IMHO.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »

Surprised with all the good comments I've seen for this as didn't have hopes for a sequel to a horror movie that wasn't particularly great so I'm keen to see it now.

Evil Dead 2? But it can also be said that the 3rd installment (Army of Darkness) is better than the two before it. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »

Insidious 2 was no where as good as Insidious. It was all over the shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I really, really enjoyed this. One of my favourite films of the year so far, and definitely an improvement on the original (which I also enjoyed). I think this opened up a lot more, especially for the franchise to develop further, which I hope it does because the possibilities are really endless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meant to post a couple of days back. I went to see it last week and was most impressed. The acting from the principal cast was top notch. There were also some incredibly potent and disturbing set pieces like the brief scene where we discover that Eva's father has made himself a martyr for a wealthy family. I liked how the director managed to instil a good level of suspense and tension into many set pieces ans actually capitalised quite well on the central concept of the film.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it today. Whilst i enjoyed it i must be in the minority because i preferred the original to this. There were more thrills, spills and scares in the first one. None in this. The difference with Anarchy is there's a lot more action so it felt very run of the mill to me.

Frank Grillo was great though and he would make a fantastic Punisher or other gritty superhero.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it but not as much as the first, I think it was because I knew what to expect from the sequel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    really liked the first one and the idea is brillaint. was looking forward to the 2nd one but it was disappointing. i was bored to be honest. didn't like the characters or the actors. it felt like they were waiting for things to say a lot of the time but had no lines
    didn't like the direction they took with this movie. they could of thought of a much better script than that.
    The first one was much better as you didn't know what would happen. they ruined a good idea the possibilties were endless and they picked a poor story
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the original in its entirety (I'd previously only seen clips) and found the approach that it took quite interesting. It's very much a home invasion thriller- which I wasn't expecting. Some thrillers of this kind have been incredibly succesfully in terms of creating a very pervasive sense of suspense and tension- see 'The Strangers' and 'Funny Games'. With 'The Purge' I don't feel that it quite managed to create the same kind of atmosphere and actually dragged in places. Overall, I preferred the scale of the sequel and how the focus was on a group of disparate characters thrown together in the chaos and carnage.
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched this last night thought it was great enjoyed it much better than the 1st one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a third one planned?
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at the weekend, really enjoyed it. Much better than the first. It was still flawed of course, but I just found it very entertaining and I was interested throughout. Thought the acting was fairly good too.
    Is there a third one planned?

Looks like it:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a581367/the-purge-3-storyline-ideas-revealed-by-producer-jason-blum.html#~oO9lS7ZH1Cxmyn