Male puppy, neuter or not?

13»

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I have made my decision and I'll have to live with that.

There are so many conflicting opinions, even between vets, so who knows who's right or who's wrong.

My vet has informed me that castration reduces the chance of getting many different forms of cancer. It will also stop him straying and pining over girls, and could make him less dominant and aggressive towards other dogs.

Yes, I thinks it's cruel also but i am putting his needs first. What else can I do?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Elizabeth.

I don't think it is inherently cruel. I've never seen a neuter dog suffering specifically because of a castration. Castration complications yes, but we can't not do stuff because of a small risk . There are risks with a neuter, there are risks with intact - what if he escaped and got run over looking for a girl?

You have made an informed decision based on your dog's needs, available information and your environment. You haven't decided to cut his bits of willy nilly just on the say so of a vet, you haven't decided to keep him in tact because 'He's a boy, it's not right'. You have sought out advice and made the right choice for you and your pup.

For other people leaving their dog intact in their circumstances is the best option.

Good luck with pup & hope he brings you much joy xx

ETA: As always, with bitches they should always be spayed as soon as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Is it:confused:

I deal with unwanted/unplanned/abandoned/feral animals every day because people don't neuter their pets. I cannot support neutering anymore than I already do if I tried.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ETA: As always, with bitches they should always be spayed as soon as possible.

I won't neuter my bitch until i am good and ready, her joints are iffy and she can be nervous. I have read up extensively and made my choice too.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I won't neuter my bitch until i am good and ready, her joints are iffy and she can be nervous. I have read up extensively and made my choice too.

Fair enough, but as I'm sure you have researched, every season increases the risk of mammary tumours and she's at risk of Pyometria. And obviously, no matter how vigilant and careful you are there is always the risk she'll get pregnant. So I stand by my comment.

To clarify what I mean by 'as soon as possible', non breeding bitches should be spayed before their first season unless contra-indicated and breeding bitches as soon as possible after their last litter. If your bitch has physical issues that contra-indicate a spay, that doesn't negate the 'as soon as possible' part of my post as it may never be possible to spay her.

All things being equal though, for dogs the evidence is pretty balanced either way, for girls the small risks (e.g. urinary incontinence) is greatly outweighed by the health benefits (no uterine cancer, no pyo, if before first season practically no risk of mammary tumours compared to an > 90% risk if never done) and rarely has an impact on behaviour, let alone negative.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say having had a girl we didn't spay and reaping the consequences which killed her in the end I am very keen on bitches being spayed unless there is a very good reason why not. I would guess Muze has those reasons and knows what she is doing.
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    My parents allways had Boxers and when one male died from prostate cancer all males from then on were neutered.
    And yes, I am fully aware Boxers are the worst breed for cancer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    My parents allways had Boxers and when one male died from prostate cancer all males from then on were neutered.
    And yes, I am fully aware Boxers are the worst breed for cancer.

Learn something new everyday I didn't know Boxers were more cancer prone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I consider it cruelty and would never do it to my dog. Would you like your bits chopped off? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Volk wrote: »
    I consider it cruelty and would never do it to my dog. Would you like your bits chopped off? :confused:

If that is a serious question then the answer is yes, I never managed to give birth to a baby that would live more than a couple of hours, so when I asked to have my bits removed I was shocked to find I had to continue on and wasn't allowed to make that decision. More cruel to allow a dog or person to go through multiple years of seasons and periods with nothing to show for it, and the drive for a puppy or baby is enormous. It meant keeping our Rosie dog in for 3 weeks at a time to make sure she was safe from pregnancy.
    Men have vasectomies to stop impregnating females and we don't say how cruel, we applaud them for being responsible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Volk wrote: »

You do realise that dogs don't want to have sex and father children in the same way humans do, don't you? I find your kind of comment completely childish and uneducated.
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    There is little need to neuter most males IMO, at least until maturity, if ever.

if you cannot control an intact dog, don't have one at all :)

Well now that's not going to happen, is it? Thousands of dogs a day euthanised as "surplus to requirements" or "out of control". Neutering is the most effective way of doing your bit as a responsible owner to end the cycle. We don't need any more puppies and if you're not going to allow dogs to breed why torment them with sex organs they won't be able to use? I do get rather tired of the "It's not natural" statement. Natural is roaming the streets shagging, fighting, and forming groups, but I doubt you will find many people recommending that so - neuter your dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    Well now that's not going to happen, is it? Thousands of dogs a day euthanised as "surplus to requirements" or "out of control". Neutering is the most effective way of doing your bit as a responsible owner to end the cycle. We don't need any more puppies and if you're not going to allow dogs to breed why torment them with sex organs they won't be able to use? I do get rather tired of the "It's not natural" statement. Natural is roaming the streets shagging, fighting, and forming groups, but I doubt you will find many people recommending that so - neuter your dog.

*virtual hi-5*
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad i didn't get ours done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad i didn't get ours done.

Can I ask why, has your dog been healthier or happier having not been neutered or is it you that would have been less happy if he had been done ?