Options

Why is collecting Retro Games so expensive these days?

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
Ive been watching a few youtube vids on this with some well known guys giving their opinion but it just seems crazy that you cant actively enjoy collecting games at a decent price. Now ive heard all the fuss about Little Samson going for a ridiculous price even unboxed, 500 dollars for a cart to me seems unrealistic.

As I remember owning a NES years ago thought id go check out what Megaman was going for and to my suprise it was going for £69.99 thats way more than the game was when it came out. I guess people dont understand what second hand means. From memory Mega man isnt a rare game, back in the day when I bought this the shop had tons of copies but today people just tend to slap the word rare on anything.

That game was commonly available everywhere I mean a fiver for it would be a fair price given its a 20 - 30 year old game but I dont see how retro gaming has gotten so expensive all these years later. I dont remember games this pricey 10 years ago.

Id love to start collecting old games I used to play but when you see this its very off putting and I know people will say hey play it on a emulator its free but for some playing a emulator isnt the same as im sure there are people who would prefer to play on the original machine. This isnt just tied down to the NES its any retro machine, ive heard horror stories about how expensive SNES games are.

Sadly I dont see the price inflation bubble bursting anytime soon whether its ebay, amazon or online sites like consolepassion etc.

Comments

• Options
    grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there may have been plenty around at the time, the fact that there may not be that many still around in working order makes them rarer. kinda like saying why is the penny black stamp worth a lot, there were loads of them
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly as long as there are collectors there will be sellers willing to exploit
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its is almost like they dont sell these retro games anymore so the supply is really low and people wanting to buy them are willing to pay a high price. Really why do you thinking they are so expensive ?
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    supply and demand. people who are older now with money want the things they had when they were a kid and couldnt afford back then.
  • Options
    grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been watching a few youtube vids on this with some well known guys giving their opinion but it just seems crazy that you cant actively enjoy collecting games at a decent price. Now ive heard all the fuss about Little Samson going for a ridiculous price even unboxed, 500 dollars for a cart to me seems unrealistic.

As I remember owning a NES years ago thought id go check out what Megaman was going for and to my suprise it was going for £69.99 thats way more than the game was when it came out. I guess people dont understand what second hand means. From memory Mega man isnt a rare game, back in the day when I bought this the shop had tons of copies but today people just tend to slap the word rare on anything.

That game was commonly available everywhere I mean a fiver for it would be a fair price given its a 20 - 30 year old game but I dont see how retro gaming has gotten so expensive all these years later. I dont remember games this pricey 10 years ago.

Id love to start collecting old games I used to play but when you see this its very off putting and I know people will say hey play it on a emulator its free but for some playing a emulator isnt the same as im sure there are people who would prefer to play on the original machine. This isnt just tied down to the NES its any retro machine, ive heard horror stories about how expensive SNES games are.

Sadly I dont see the price inflation bubble bursting anytime soon whether its ebay, amazon or online sites like consolepassion etc.

I remember buying Street Fighter 2 Turbo in a metal tin for the SNES for 59.99 in 1995ish, even that price isnt the norm now for a standard game.
  • Options
    RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not just games, the car scene has been hit hard. You'd be shocked at some of the prices you'd be expected to pay for a retro car from the 70s/80s/90s.

I agreed with the comment about people wanting to relive their youths, or buying what they couldnt afford back when they were new.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    supply and demand. people who are older now with money want the things they had when they were a kid and couldnt afford back then.

This.

Plus, old stuff is in limited quantity. It isn't being made anymore.