Options

Kids' club - cookery?

george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
Forum Member
Hi there

I've just been thinking about the kids' club task they had on Young Apprentice, and it has just occurred to me that cookery would have gone down really well. It's a great way to combine both education and fun, and it would have been easy to do a simple demo session on it, because most people have at least some basic knowledge of it.

I think if either of the teams had gone for that, it would have been better than either of the activities that they actually did - or indeed, than the ones that were suggested, like the dancing. I suppose just no one thought of it, after all I didn't think of it until just now.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to play misery, I've got some potential negatives

Could be quite a large initial outlay for equipment and ovens and such. The oven(s) would need to be permanently fitted so your choice of spaces you could use for the club be limited (the kids clubs they did do could be put on in nearly any manner of sports hall/community center/etc)

You'd need to be spot-on with the supervision in elf and safty terms - will you be having kids using ovens, knives, mixing machines, etc?

Also with the cookery there will be a good level of involvement in the prep and mixing, and then you'll have a room full of kids sat about imatiently waiting for a cake to bake for half an hour for e.g.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Just to play misery, I've got some potential negatives

Could be quite a large initial outlay for equipment and ovens and such. The oven(s) would need to be permanently fitted so your choice of spaces you could use for the club be limited (the kids clubs they did do could be put on in nearly any manner of sports hall/community center/etc)

You'd need to be spot-on with the supervision in elf and safty terms - will you be having kids using ovens, knives, mixing machines, etc?

Also with the cookery there will be a good level of involvement in the prep and mixing, and then you'll have a room full of kids sat about imatiently waiting for a cake to bake for half an hour for e.g.

Good points, I suppose. I still think it could work though. There are plenty of places with ovens in that could be hired out - if they were available to the candidates, which is unknown. In terms of supervision, they had teams of four, which is quite a lot. If there were fifteen kids in the group, for example, then one person could supervise every four kids to make sure that everything is working as it should be, and no one is about to cut their fingers off or anything. (I know that some schools do cookery for young kids, so it is possible to lead a group to do something like that.)

And during the waiting time, they could do something else, like finding out the different food values of the ingredients etc. When I put it like that I suppose it sounds a bit dull, but I loved learning about things like that when I was about eight! Maybe I just wasn't your typical kid :p

I agree that there are issues with it like there would be with everything, and if they couldn't get anywhere with ovens, then it wouldn't be feasible. But, I think it would be enjoyable, educational and would leave the kids with something to take home afterwards. I thought that both the sessions done by the teams were cringeworthy and patronising, even the science one - 'Okay, our rockets have landed! Let's go and meet some aliens!' I would have been very bored if I'd been one of those kids, at either club. Plus, as I said, everyone knows a bit about cookery, so it would be easy to teach. Lucy's international dancing idea was good in theory, but they never said if any of the group actually knew how to do it. If someone knew all about it it would have been fantastic, but if they didn't, it would have been an epic fail.

And I suppose if they couldn't get somewhere that had ovens, they could come up with something that didn't need them. It wouldn't have been quite as good, but still a winning formula I think.