Winter Hill

Comments

• BearboydaveBearboydave Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    BBC1 HD dropping out now during News at Ten - constantly. I've had to switch to SD, it's ridiculous.
  • BearboydaveBearboydave Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Freesat HD is unaffected BTW, I'm on that now.
  • Prestonian_123Prestonian_123 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Really would appreciate help on what to do next , please!

To sum up, I started this thread because my Samsung UE32EH5000K started losing sound on the HD channels. Following everyone's kind interest and advice on here I contacted at800 and they came out within 24 hours and fitted a filter. They showed me the "before" and "after" shots on their meter and the filter had indeed removed the background interference. However, when I came to watch the HD channels again last night the sound drop out was still there - particularly bad on BBC 1 & 2 HD after 9 PM. The puzzle to me is that if I watch the same HD channels through my Freeview+ box (Bush/Vestel) as attached to the same TV, there is no sound dropout. I can only conclude therefore that it is a Samsung TV problem.

My situation seems to be mirrored by others on this thread and on the other one that has since been started. What do I do next, please?
  • Prestonian_123Prestonian_123 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Really would appreciate help on what to do next , please!

To sum up, I started this thread because my Samsung UE32EH5000K started losing sound on the HD channels. Following everyone's kind interest and advice on here I contacted at800 and they came out within 24 hours and fitted a filter. They showed me the "before" and "after" shots on their meter and the filter had indeed removed the background interference. However, when I came to watch the HD channels again last night the sound drop out was still there - particularly bad on BBC 1 & 2 HD after 9 PM. The puzzle to me is that if I watch the same HD channels through my Freeview+ box (Bush/Vestel) as attached to the same TV, there is no sound dropout. I can only conclude therefore that it is a Samsung TV problem.

My situation seems to be mirrored by others on this thread and on the other one that has since been started. What do I do next, please?

Just got this message from Samsung Online Support:

"We are working with the BBC and will rectify the problem as soon as we can. For now, the temporary fix is to change channel and back again."
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my TV back and one issue is I had a faulty mainboard and been replaced but if the sound issue is still present them Samsung need to pull their fingers out.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Just got my TV back and one issue is I had a faulty mainboard and been replaced but if the sound issue is still present them Samsung need to pull their fingers out.
    These things can be difficult to track down and the Samsung development engineers may not be in the UK...
    Therefore needing copies of the troublesome Transport Streams sending overseas.

Once they identify the cause, they then need to develop a fix, test it, and only then roll it out to the great unwashed for update via service / firmware... IF they can fix it!

It's obvious that it's a Samsung issue as other makes of kit are unaffected...

Potentially the broadcasters have made a recent change to PSB3 infrastructure that has caused this; if so, they might consider reverting (temporarily) to allow a Samsung fix to be developed? But that sort of thing is becoming increasingly unlikely. (Witness the Panasonic freesat TVs that cannot cope with the ITV HD latest broadcast mode... Panasonic have simply washed their hands of their mistake in excluding that mode from their devices.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done it again tonight itv.
  • ChrisbuChrisbu Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I received my filter on Saturday but it made no difference must be a problem with Samsung television and signal changes .My tv is a Samsung purchased in 2012
  • Bill_BuckBill_Buck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Hi, normally use freesat but thought I would try the tv internal freeview tuner on the HD channels and found sound dropping out also until tuning away to another channel and then back again to say BBC 1 HD when the sound has returned. I have a Toshiba 39L4353DB tv and use the Pontop Pike transmitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is now beginning to pi55 me off >:(>:( I contacted Samsung support too and they still don't have a fix and ongoing issue, it maybe a firmware update that sorts the problem out when it's fixed.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been having this problem on the Toshiba tv at the hotel I am currently in.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it looks like the problem affects both Samsung and Toshiba sets. Do they have some components/software in common? Luckily I only have Sony, Panasonic and Humax receivers!
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    So it looks like the problem affects both Samsung and Toshiba sets. Do they have some components/software in common? Luckily I only have Sony, Panasonic and Humax receivers!
    More likely only SOME Samsung and SOME Toshiba sets ... affected users' set model numbers may aid the set makers (and broadcasters) to diagnose more?
    I've only seen 3 models of Samsung (ignoring screen size differences) and two Toshes mentioned in the different threads (including one on another forum) so far. (All are 2012/13 releases as far as I can tell from web reviews).

... I, too, have wondered about some commonality of the H264 decoder / HE-AAC audio decoder/transcoder between both makes.

Someone in the industry may know more about specific chipset/hardware used in these TVs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to happen more at night than in the daytime.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More likely only SOME Samsung and SOME Toshiba sets ... affected users' set model numbers may aid the set makers (and broadcasters) to diagnose more?
    I've only seen 3 models of Samsung (ignoring screen size differences) and two Toshes mentioned in the different threads (including one on another forum) so far. (All are 2012/13 releases as far as I can tell from web reviews).

... I, too, have wondered about some commonality of the H264 decoder / HE-AAC audio decoder/transcoder between both makes.

Someone in the industry may know more about specific chipset/hardware used in these TVs?

My guess would be the tuner modules.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2x Samsungs i have with the sound problem are, a UE40EH5000, and a UE40ES6710 Smart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    The 2x Samsungs i have with the sound problem are, a UE40EH5000, and a UE40ES6710 Smart.

Mines UE46ES6300
  • Schnauzer BitesSchnauzer Bites Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Samsung is UE37ES5500 purchased in 2012. Has been taken away by engineer to have a board replaced and possible software update from Samsung. This thread on AVforums indicates that Samsung are aware of the issue and working on a fix. https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-ue40eh5000kxxu-disapearing-sound.2018492/#post-23418481
  • stuart_jones1stuart_jones1 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Similar problems as samsung ,Tosh Model RL958 software version 7.0.28.16.1 Sep 18 2013 -
    Hmm , Digital switch over (Sony) 2K - 8K got me too>:(
    Lancaster (Relay off winter hill)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Similar problems on Samsung UE32EH500 watching freeview in Northern Ireland - Carnmoney Hill transmitter. Started happening 2-3 weeks ago.
  • Schnauzer BitesSchnauzer Bites Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/the-mysterious-sound-problem-silencing.html Another article suggesting BBC are working with manufacturers to identify the cause of the sound problems.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/the-mysterious-sound-problem-silencing.html Another article suggesting BBC are working with manufacturers to identify the cause of the sound problems.
    The BBC issued a statement within two hours of the article being published. I had previously advised people to contact BBC Reception Advice - there were complaints about this issue predating this thread when Six Nations Rugby was on.
  • martin_kmartin_k Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Hello All,

Same symptoms, Samsung model UE32EH5000KXXU.

I first reported the fault to Channel 4 as I encountered it watching the C4HD evening news on Freeview 104. Subsequently had the problem with other channels on Mux PSB3 (BBC B). C4 suggested contacting digitaluk, who confirmed that the BBC and manufactures were aware.

Digitaluk suggested contacting Samsung. I had an Email from Samsung yesterday morning saying;

"....Please be advised that we are aware with the issue of your television. Rest assured that we will keep you posted once we have an update regarding this matter...."

Nobody is telling me a fix is already available.

Glad to find the forum while researching this.
    Martin.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,143
    Forum Member
    Glad to have stumbled across this thread!

I'm having this problem on a Samsung UE40EH5000 with the PSB3 HD channels from Sutton Coldfield. As everyone else seems to be saying, the sound comes back if I retune to an SD channel then go back to HD. It's been happening for a few weeks now.

I'd assumed it was my TV going faulty!
  • stuart_jones1stuart_jones1 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Toshiba Have acknowleged the problem (Spoke to simon customer services)
    Working on a fix . No Date yet.
    So don't know if it will be the transmitter people or the set people to sort this out