Least favourite music genre

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrtdg82 wrote: »
    I agree to an extent.

I like old school garage, however I do think it's soulless. It's not something I'd play at something like a funeral. Also it isn't something I'd listen too when chilling.

Many types of music (rightly or wrongly) carry a stereotype. House and drum and base come across as very drug orientated, same as many types of rock with emo's and rap with violence.

Whilst clearly this isn't always correct you generally can tell a lot about someone by the music they listen too.

I think that is the problem, it seems to me a lot of people base their dislike of a genre based on perception and stereotype.

Heavy Metal is a perfect example. As always it features heavily on people's "hate list", but as a genre it is vast, with at least 10 separate sub-genres, and yet it is pretty much ignored by every mainstream media outlet in this country. So as a Metal/Hard Rock fan since the late 1970s I do wonder just how much "Heavy Metal" people have actually heard to form an opinion on the genre...
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that is the problem, it seems to me a lot of people base their dislike of a genre based on perception and stereotype.

Heavy Metal is a perfect example. As always it features heavily on people's "hate list", but as a genre it is vast, with at least 10 separate sub-genres, and yet it is pretty much ignored by every mainstream media outlet in this country. So as a Metal/Hard Rock fan since the late 1970s I do wonder just how much "Heavy Metal" people have actually heard to form an opinion on the genre...

When it comes to genres, I think people think in terms of broad stereotypes rather than specifics. I don't like opera. That doesn't mean I don't like Mozart's operas, it means I don't like the stereotypical "long discussions in strangulated voices" style of opera. The same is probably true of people who say they don't like metal. They probably have some music in their library that falls into the broader genre of heavy metal but doesn't conform to their idea of the stereotype.

Similarly the people who say they hate hip-hop, or jazz, or country probably have a very clear idea of what those genres sound like and equally probably, like some music that falls into those categories. It just doesn't sound like hip-hop, jazz or country to them.
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like whatever Michael Buble is.
    Whatever the Black Eyed Peas do.
    Not sure of the genre - but whatever it is that Mariah Carey belongs to.
    Pop like Pussycat Dolls.
    Avril Lavigne
    Adele, Sam Smith, Westlife, Ronan Keating. I don't know what category this is but its so dull and quite nauseating to me.

I don't really like middle of the road stuff. Is that a genre? I mean boring music.

I've looked some of the genres up on wikipedia. Apparently Michael Buble covers: Big band traditional pop swing blue-eyed soul Jazz Crooner rock pop.
    So I don't really like that. Although some of the original rat pack stuff is ok.

Mariah Carey: R&B pop hip hop soul.
    Adele: Soul pop blue-eyed soul[2] R&B[3]

I really don't think Mariah Carey can be classified as hip hop, any more than Avril Lavigne is rock.

Black Eyed Peas - Hip hop music, Contemporary R&B, Electronic dance music
    I think its the 'R&B' side of it I don't like.

I don't really like UB40, Level 42, Phil Collins, like balding white man music.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I hate all music really.

Rap - embarrassingly inept, sub-nursery-rhyme-standard lyrics, barked out either by black men with a grudge or silly little, would-be-gangsta white boys who don't realise how stupid they sound talking in what they believe to be a Jamaican accent.

Folk - music performed and listened to by people who need a cattle prod to remind them that they're still alive. Many are now in mourning following the news about the closure of BHS.

Death Metal - exclusively listened to by 14 year-old boys with septic home-made nose piercings, who mimic their favourite vocalists by throwing up into an empty septic tank.

Hard rock - mainly listened to by men in their mid forties, all of whom have tattooed knuckles and wear bandannas to cover their receeding hairlines. Occasionally accompanied by women of a similar age with fat legs. Sub-genres can be identified by NRA stickers and/or car bumper stickers bearing Confederate flags.

R & B - bafflingly mis-named, computer generated background music for cocktail bars, listened to exclusively by girls with silly nail-art and pencilled-in eyebrows who spend most of their time posting trout-pout selfies onto Facebook.

Drum 'n' bass - music devised to mimic the come-down off Ritalin.

Modern improvised jazz - a godsend for those whose parents bought them brass instruments that they can't be bothered to learn how to play. Anyone who objects to the random, hideous nature of their tortuous racket is obviously sad and un-hip.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm...... im not sure if theres any genre that has absolutely nothing that someone wouldnt like.

as i see it, its a % thing, and some genres make me want to vomit - sweet soul for eg, i detest the chi lites, stylistics, acts like that but i do like the detroit emeralds - feel the need in me'.

so maybe there are some occasional tracks that break the general rule within any genre.

im hard pressed to find much to like about grime, hip hop, rap, country, prog rock, sweet soul/philly, glam rock, jazz, (but not trad jazz), hair metal, heavy metal, grunge, and more... and because i dont like the vast majority of what ive heard - im not going to try to search out the hidden gems.

i suppose current rap is my biggest hate, so if i had to chose a least favourite it would be that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - why does anyone think anyone gives a s*hi* about Beyonce:confused:
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some genres make me want to vomit - sweet soul for eg, i detest the chi lites..
    Oh no. The Chi-Lites were really good. One of the most poignant songs ever - The Coldest Days of My Life. Check out the arrangement and the production, pure quality. And you can't accuse For God Sake Give More Power to the People of being too saccharine.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Oh no. The Chi-Lites were really good. One of the most poignant songs ever - The Coldest Days of My Life. Check out the arrangement and the production, pure quality. And you can't accuse For God Sake Give More Power to the People of being too saccharine.

dear sir, or madame, i stated that i hated acts like the chi lites, you cannot tell me im wrong to do so because i was expressing a personal opinion based on personal taste! :p

whether the arrangement was 'pure quality' is subjective, but even if it is - i still hate them! :p
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R&B (1980s to present)
    (although the earlier styles of R&B from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s are some of my most favourite genres)

Hip Hop
    Absolutely. There is some hip-hop that is okay but yeah, 80s onwards R&B is dross. I think I just find it a bit slimy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Any genre can have a musical capacity, and the genre often doesn't define how toe song sounds at all practically, so hating one genre or even using the term 'genre' is a little backwards.

But for simplicity, the genre that I have heard the most amout of bad music from, is rave,

things like slipknot come close too. And rapping isnt even a musical telent,, it is just poetry and by it's design, doesn't need to worry about pitch.

Rave and metal and rap are still technically music but are very close to being completley unmusical. To find out what unmusical sounds like, listen to a lawn mower, or washing machine for a few hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rocklore wrote: »
    Any genre can have a musical capacity, and the genre often doesn't define how toe song sounds at all practically, so hating one genre or even using the term 'genre' is a little backwards.

But for simplicity, the genre that I have heard the most amout of bad music from, is rave,

things like slipknot come close too. And rapping isnt even a musical telent,, it is just poetry and by it's design, doesn't need to worry about pitch.

Rave and metal and rap are still technically music but are very close to being completley unmusical. To find out what unmusical sounds like, listen to a lawn mower, or washing machine for a few hours.

Slipknot don't always sound like a washing machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJl8zo__6jM
    But I like it when they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    Slipknot don't always sound like a washing machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvetJ9U_tVY
    But I like it when they do.

Changed the link
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy76 wrote: »
    Rap for sure is the worst.

I don't like when there is an ok song then it's ruined by a rapper turning up in the middle and spouting some rubbish. Examples of this would be Katy Perry's ET and that awful rap part, or Beyoncé's Crazy in Love when her husband spoils it with his ramblings.

Add to that Do What You Want by Lady GaGa. An 80's sounding snyth pop gem suddenly turns into a mid 90's McDonalds lite RnB track thanks to R Kelly.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flamenco art noise
    Sophisti-house
    Hip hop polka
    Jungle fusion
    Stoner dub
    Samba folk
    Thrash skiffle
    Salsa rap
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ?....

Just poetry.....? Like poetry and music are not related?
    Music isn't just about pitch, it's also about rhythm and poetry has rhythm just like music.

What is musical and unmusical?

In the words of perhaps the greatest musician of all time, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart,

“The music is not in the notes,
    but in the silence between"

This allowed John Cage to create '4'33' which is a performance of silence, although it is actually a performance of whatever fills that period. Does that not challenge the notion of what music actually is?
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Problem with this type of thread is, there’s far too much of the whole “You don’t like a genre I love?! How is this possible?! You must not be listening to the right music within the genre I love!”

When really, they probably just don’t like it full stop, and some people just rationalise it that way because they are unable to see that other people might not in fact like the same things they do.
    Exactly.

You tend to get it with rap lovers more than any other genre.
    If someone says “I don’t like Country and Western” you don’t get C&W fans saying you must be listening to the wrong C&W music.
    Why do they find it so hard to understand that some people don’t like rap. You don’t need to have heard all rap music to know if you like it or not.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R and B all sounds the same to me
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Exactly.

You tend to get it with rap lovers more than any other genre.
    If someone says “I don’t like Country and Western” you don’t get C&W fans saying you must be listening to the wrong C&W music.
    Why do they find it so hard to understand that some people don’t like rap. You don’t need to have heard all rap music to know if you like it or not.
    No but many of us that do like Country music do get annoyed when people call it Country & Western.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but many of us that do like Country music do get annoyed when people call it Country & Western.

Yeah, it should be called Country and Southern.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That reminds me of this.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    heavy metal and some Rock& Roll
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber and now tn sounds horrible
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavy Metal is just not for me. I just can't resonate with it. I am not too keen on folk or country music either.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite music is stuff that I like

My least favourite music is stuff that I don't like.

I don't give a flying what genre it is.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand calypso...