Options

CBS Drama and others.

bounderbounder Posts: 577
Forum Member
✭✭
Switched to CBS Drama this evening to find a message saying it had moved to channel 71 and could now only be received by "HD equipment". We have a TV with Freeview HD receiver and did a retune which found nothing on ch 71. Same thing happened several months ago with Al-Jazeera. Similarly, when Talking Pictures launched recently it was supposed to be available to those with HD tuners but we can't get it. It is quite frustrating to have all these disappearing/missing channels and I wondered if there is anyone who could explain (in simple terms) what is happening because I can't seem to find the info elsewhere. :)

Comments

• Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is because these channels are on the COM7 Mux, which only has about 70% coverage rather than PSB3, which has 98.5% coverage. There is a good explanation here: http://www.a516digital.com/2016/04/missing-freeview-channels-it-might-be.html
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS! I was looking forward to watching Judging Amy today and I find CBS Drama has disappeared! :(

Thanks for the info kasg :blush:
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like its best for us to get freesat if not living in a city I hope they don't put more channels on com 7 or 8. :(
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think yourself lucky, my part the uk doesn't even get mux 4,5,6, let alone 7 and 8.
    Satellite (freesat) all the way.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    It is because these channels are on the COM7 Mux, which only has about 70% coverage rather than PSB3, which has 98.5% coverage. There is a good explanation here: http://www.a516digital.com/2016/04/missing-freeview-channels-it-might-be.html
    A good explanation for those in the 70% catchment area who do not have DVB-T2 equipment, but do you think that the description title, and lead in, are potentially very confusing for someone outside the 70% catchment area who does have freeview HD or youview equipment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    but do you think that the description title, and lead in, are potentially very confusing for someone outside the 70% catchment area who does have freeview HD or youview equipment?
    Yes, possibly, but reasonably clear if you read the whole piece.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    Looks like its best for us to get freesat if not living in a city

You can be living in a city and still not be able to get COM7 :(
    I hope they don't put more channels on com 7 or 8. :(

I'm pretty sure they will, because it's cheaper! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now unsolved mystery's is failed to record going to have to get a freesat+ box :(
  • Options
    bounderbounder Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply kasg. I think we get our channels from the Sudbury transmitter and after a bit of internet research it appears that it does not broadcast the COM7 mux. Which is disappointing. Why would CBS move one of their channels from a mux that reached 98% of the population to one which only reaches 70%? Why did Al-Jazeera do the same? Presumably it can only be because carriage on COM7 is cheaper? CBS Drama hasn't been on Freeview for very long so this might be a bit ominous for the future of the other three CBS channels.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea I lost CBS Drama too - Even though I have the right equipment the mast my aerial is pointing at doesn't transmit the COM7 Mux!
  • Options
    Anthony_UKAnthony_UK Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COM 7 and COM 8 are incredibly hard to pick up;when you are in range from a high power transmitter's reception area, everything makes all the difference as to whether you pick them up or not -

a)The condition and type of TV aerial used along with careful alignment to get maximum signal strength, bent knackered or heavily corroded aerials can spell mixed results or no reception to a Freeview HD unit, whereas a new (preferably high gain) aerial and nice new cabling installed ensures reception of most Freeview SD and HD services,

b)The condition of the cabling, connections and joints, (moisture, corroded wires and connectors, water ingress etc can cause anything from signal losses and mixed reception to no reception results),

and c) The sensitivity and quality of your Freeview HD stb/pvr/tv's tuner (the tuner units contained in various brand tv's stb's and pvr's can vary greatly in sensitivity;the most sensitive units will tend to resolve everything including the harder to pick up COM 7 and COM 8 multiplexes which are transmitted at much lower power than the others).

Those three factors also have a say, to a certain extent, on whether you get these mux's or not. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And also on whether you have a filter fitted to block unwanted signals from another transmitter operating within a similar frequency group to COMs 7 & 8.

There are any number of local factors which could make reception very difficult if not impossible.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    And also on whether you have a filter fitted to block unwanted signals from another transmitter operating within a similar frequency group to COMs 7 & 8.

If you have I suggest you remove it and get a more suitable one. The only things in 600MHz are COM7/8. It's unlikely you're receiving these from multiple transmitters, and even if you are, given that they're not regionalised any half-decent receiver will store the strongest signal and ignore the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    If you have I suggest you remove it and get a more suitable one. The only things in 600MHz are COM7/8.

At the time the aerial was installed Channel 4 was also duplicated locally in the 600MHz band (just one channel away from where COM7 is today). The installer is on a fixed-price contract and the housing association is not willing to pay for an upgrade.

Like I said, any number of local factors can make reception difficult or impossible. :)
  • Options
    moleratmolerat Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Gotta love progress. Now don't let me get started on DAB :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well for me the DAB signals have got much stronger I am lucky with DAB.
    my samsung TV has film on so seems i can watch this way but its pretty poor on the big 48 inch screen.
  • Options
    YouViewYouView Posts: 2,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing for those that did watch he channel and now can't, but no doubt a step taken as a result of the poor TV ratings performance of the channel compared to their others:

CBS Action 0.33
    CBS Drama 0.16
    CBS Reality 0.51
    Horror Channel 0.32

It's been struggling to attract viewers since it launched and has ditched much of its drama output in favour of more reality programmes.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member

Funny enough, CBS Drama have today published their own page addressing the matter after lots of complaints
    http://www.cbsdrama.tv/uk/articles.php?feature=650

Hmm... the wording looks familiar, don't you think...

As the saying goes: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
  • Options
    steveboswellsteveboswell Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very comprehensive article from CBS, there! :D

Given the confusion and inconvenience that has been caused to the relatively small CBS Drama audience, it would appear the UK is not quite ready for DSO-2 just yet!

At some point soon, a lot of the more popular channels are going to be making a similar switch -- possibly all at once. Those channels that make the jump early are proving to be quite a good indication of just how many viewers have compatible equipment.

Obviously, in the case of CBS Drama it's not quite as straightforward as "just" a switch to T2 because there's a multiplex change involved, too. But when the first PSB channels start making the switch...
  • Options
    Paulper2Paulper2 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I've just re-tuned both of my Freeview HD TV's and have a total of 142 services from Crystal Palace, coincidentally missing the 17 channels that are listed as having a lower 70% UK coverage on the link previously provided (http://www.a516digital.com/2016/04/missing-freeview-channels-it-might-be.html). But coverage checker says I should have them all. I live in Northfleet, DA11. Signal strength into the TV is between 93 and 96%. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paulper2 wrote: »
    I've just re-tuned both of my Freeview HD TV's and have a total of 142 services from Crystal Palace, coincidentally missing the 17 channels that are listed as having a lower 70% UK coverage on the link previously provided
    Did you get the COM7 and COM8 channels before you retuned? (e.g. BBC News HD, BBC Four HD)
  • Options
    Paulper2Paulper2 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Did you get the COM7 and COM8 channels before you retuned? (e.g. BBC News HD, BBC Four HD)

I'm not sure I did to be honest, although I certainly had London Live. What would be the reason for this though?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paulper2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I did to be honest, although I certainly had London Live. What would be the reason for this though?

Do you get BBC1 HD on channel 101? If so you know your TV is Freeview HD compliant if not it isn't. If you get BBC1 HD but not BBC News HD it is a signal problem.