New Pink Floyd

124»

Comments

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite being a long time Floyd fan I nearly didn't buy it after reading adverse comments here but I now have it and love it.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed 'The Endless River' and the more I play it, the more it grows on me. I think it rounds off The Floyd nicely.

Now back to the Syd Barrett (Barrett) CD my other half treated me too :)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty much as I expected, generally gentle noodling, the sort of music you might hear in a shop that sells dreamcatchers and crystals, but not bad for all that.

I thought "High Hopes" was the perfect end to Pink Floyd, a band of old men looking back on their youth, so this feels more like an appendix to an already finished tale.

As an aside, there was an interesting article on the Pitchfork web site the other week about contemporary artists who have been inspired by Pink Floyd:

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9543-pipers-at-the-gates-of-punk/

Some connections are more obvious than others; top marks go the Flaming Lips who completely brazenly stole the template of "Echoes" for their brilliant track "One Million Billionth of a Millisecond on a Sunday Morning".
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

Straight into the charts at Number One. Well done to the old boys. Imagine the impact of an actual new album, with Waters involved. Not that it will ever happen, but this shows just what a big name they still are.

Very nice! So refreshing to see someone truly worthy get the number one spot instead of the latest overhyped pop star with no real identity of their own.

Well done, Pink Floyd! Much deserved.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite being a long time Floyd fan I nearly didn't buy it after reading adverse comments here but I now have it and love it.

I'm surprised quite a few people here seem to dislike it but instrumental music isn't everyone's cup of tea, which is fair enough. I really love it though, been playing it a lot esepcially when reading or writing.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying listening to it, having realised what I was getting beforehand, and it has some very nice moments. It's music to relax to, and worthy of release.

It's nothing like the Floyd classics of old, and wont challenges them at all, but it is good if taken for what it is.