one stop shop software .ts file to DVD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody here have practical experience using DVR-Studio Pro. It claims to make the process of converting a .ts file to a DVD simple. I must be a bit lazy and like things simple - could this be the answer?

I note that it is Humax 9200t and Topfield 5800t compatible (i.e. it has been tested to work with recordings/transport streams transfered from these devices to PC)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Marc,

That's the one from http://www.haenlein-software.com is it?

If you search the "using humax with a PC" thread for "Studio" you'll find several references to it - those that have used it (even when it was German only!) seem to think it is pretty good.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Marc,

Thanks for your PM reply. I don't think it's a case of being lazy. Unless someone's paying you by the hour to do this stuff, anyone would be mad to spend more time than necessary on it.

I too am very interest in getting programmes on to playable DVD’s (via a PC) with the minimum of effort. I have looked through the "using humax with a PC" thread, but with over 600 posts have got a bit lost. I’m sure that after a couple of days of getting to grips with my new 9200T, this will be an area on which I will focus a lot of my attention.

I have looked at the web site that Cliff put in his last post and have seen that they are charging €69.90(Euro) for DVR-Studio Pro. It would be nice to know if anyone has bought it at a cheaper price and how effective it is.

I look forward to reading more feedback.

Martyn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Martyn,

That software is only available from the author's web site as far as I know and the €70 is therefore going to be a fixed price. If that's a little rich for you then there are all the multi-part GPL software solutions (like ProjectX+Imago etc.) but I don't think there's a GPL "one stop shop" just yet - you pays yer money (or not!) and yer takes yer choice. Personally I like the ProjectX/Imago combination (followed by the commercial Ulead DVD Factory that came with my DVD writer) myself but hdtv-pump(?) sounds like it has some mileage in it too.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I've tried both DVR-Studio Pro and VideoReDo Plus and both will convert a .ts file, but the quality output is dependant on the number of transmission/process errors in the original file. I've had video to audio synchronisation errors as a result with both pieces of software.

As with most programs they can only produce good output in accordance with the quality of the input source and to some degree it is also subjective. I, like many here, use ProjectX to demux and Imago to remux and the results are as good as or better than most affordable commercial software available.

Authoring a good quality DVD takes time, especially if recompression is needed. Some DVDs I've made have taken days, i.e. converting original source, editing, adding chapters, authoring (menus, music etc.) and re-compression of files to fit on a single disc without too much loss of quality from the original source.

I don't think that there is currently a single program that will quickly produce, without effort, a DVD from a .ts file. All I can suggest is you try what is available out there and use what you are confident with and consider what suits and also meets your end requirements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    MartynL wrote:
    Marc,

Thanks for your PM reply. I don't think it's a case of being lazy. Unless someone's paying you by the hour to do this stuff, anyone would be mad to spend more time than necessary on it.

I too am very interest in getting programmes on to playable DVD’s (via a PC) with the minimum of effort. I have looked through the "using humax with a PC" thread, but with over 600 posts have got a bit lost. I’m sure that after a couple of days of getting to grips with my new 9200T, this will be an area on which I will focus a lot of my attention.

I have looked at the web site that Cliff put in his last post and have seen that they are charging €69.90(Euro) for DVR-Studio Pro. It would be nice to know if anyone has bought it at a cheaper price and how effective it is.

I look forward to reading more feedback.

Martyn

Looks as though you get a free trial of DVR-Studio Pro for a month so I guess you could try it and see if you think it's worth the €69....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    My couple of days didn't even stretch to 1 hour. I noticed that you can download DVR-Studio Pro and use it for 30 days without paying. With the default configuration, I managed to transfer a 5 minute segment from the London news to DVD with very little effort (just how I like it). It plays back fine.

As I am stuck at home with the flu, I will do some more testing tomorrow with some longer programmes that I am recording tonight.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using DVR-Studio regularly, having paid my 70 euros. While the software is downloadable, the licence is specific to a single machine and is keyed to the PC's machine name, so anyone looking for 'cheaper' sources may be unlucky. Also, updates are very frequent at the moment - you've been warned...

I have to say that I'm sometimes a little surprised by the amount of time some contributors to these forums are prepared to spend on what is, after all, just a TV programme that will probably be repeated soon anyway. Add together the time spent eLinking the programme, then editing, demuxing, resynching, remuxing, authoring and burning, labelling (and watching...?) - it's got to be a pretty special programme to be worth all the effort. And next year we'll all buy HDTVs and watching old pre-HD DVDs will be intolerable anyway!

Once you have the .ts file off the 9200, DVR-Studio is a 1-step process with a high success rate. Editing out the ads in the average film takes me less than 5 minutes, then hit the Express DVD button and out pops your DVD about 30 (unattended) minutes later. It does fail occasionally - I get a better success rate if I do the actual burn with Nero or CDBurnerXP. However, by far the slowest part of the process is downloading the file with eLinker and overall, it's just sufficiently painless to be worth doing for really good 'keeper' films or top rate series like 'Planet Earth'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    fenlander wrote:
    I have to say that I'm sometimes a little surprised by the amount of time some contributors to these forums are prepared to spend on what is, after all, just a TV programme that will probably be repeated soon anyway. Add together the time spent eLinking the programme, then editing, demuxing, resynching, remuxing, authoring and burning, labelling (and watching...?) - it's got to be a pretty special programme to be worth all the effort. And next year we'll all buy HDTVs and watching old pre-HD DVDs will be intolerable anyway!

You'll be even more surprised to learn that downloading from the 9200 is the longest part, followed by the burning time, both of which I just kick off and go do something else while they run. Actually cutting and authoring is as little as 10 minutes for 2-3 hours of DVD - and that's with image chapter menus!

With the right tools its really quick and easy... but people keep ignoring the advice and making the job hard!
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be even more surprised to learn that downloading from the 9200 is the longest part, followed by the burning time, both of which I just kick off and go do something else while they run. Actually cutting and authoring is as little as 10 minutes for 2-3 hours of DVD - and that's with image chapter menus!

With the right tools its really quick and easy... but people keep ignoring the advice and making the job hard!

No, I'm not surprised - in fact I mentioned it. With DVR-Studio I reckon 5 minutes to edit, 10-15 minutes to process, 10 minutes to burn. And at least an hour to to download the file with eLinker!

The trouble with the advice is that there's so much of it and so many different opinions. I tried at least a dozen different strategies before settling on the only 1-step solution I could find.

Now, if I could only find something as good - and as quick - for turning .avi files into DVDs....