RHF Productions SCAM or not?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
I recieved a letter today from RHF Productions ltd saying the following.

when you registered with us you indicated that you would make payment by credit card. Unfortunately this transaction was unsuccessful and the latest reason given was "DECLINED".

we now require details of how this, and future payments, will be met. PLease call 08712718484, alternatively please complete the encolosed direct debit instructions or the credit card mandate on the reverse of this letter.

We reserve the right to take any further action to recover any amount that remains unpaid after 14days from date of this letter; no reminder letters will be issued.

I rang the number and they said i owed £15 for some adult movies on the red hot channel back in 2000? I have never purchased any movies from this channel? I asked for proof of times of purchased etc.

Should i just ignore this letter? has anyone had a similar letter from them or can anyone advice on what best to do?

thanks

Comments

• CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres another thread (very old) here which is very long, and in places covers RHF productions.

Not looked at it in detail (it is very long) but there was one interesting point on page 2 about old debts.

If they have not attempted to recover the debt for more than 6 years they cannot claim now.

Dont understand the law but have a look at that thread.

EDIT: I've been reading the law, and it does appear that they are required to start preceedings within 6 years. Also they will have to prove that you booked the movies in question (provide viewing card numbers etc.)

I particularly like this post:
    Tony Hoyle wrote: »
    The following works (happened to me with a company once.. had to consult a lawyer):

1. Write to them, requesting that the either the claim be dropped or that documentary evidence be sent to you proving the claim within 7 days.
    2. Inform them that any further correspondence (other than a reply to item 1.) will be charged at a rate of £30 per letter/phone call.

99.9% of the time they'll drop it - companies get these old debt lists and hope they scan scam people out of a few quid... they don't really have a leg to stand on as they rarely actually have evidence, just your name on a printout somewhere.

You do have the right to charge for correspondence (provided you give them notice you're going to), just like they do... if it goes to court they'll get hit for the whole bill - and they know it.

Oh, and most important. Keep copies of all letters and send them by recorded delivery. Don't accept agreements over the phone - if it isn't written down it didn't happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, who was the letter from?

RHF Productions Ltd does not exist.
    RHF Productions Limited was disolved 23/05/2003 and had a company number of SC226537 (or 03966818, they appear to have changed names in 2000).

By law all companies are required to to have their company number and registered trading address in all correspondence (and on their website).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    thanks caffine junkie..

yeah the letter is from RHF Productions ltd .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it list a company number and registered address at the bottom of the letter?
    Forum Member
    it has an address in jersey at the bottom of the lettter and under it, it says :
    Registered jersey number 77483
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    not sure if this is of any help to you but Red hot TV ppv charges used to be handled
    by MCT the same company that handled ppv charges for U direct as i noticed that
    when I registered with U direct I was also automatically registered with RHTV as
    a PPV customer.
    Forum Member
    the thing is i have never ordered any movies or ppv of any sort? and why wait 8 years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, Jersey registered.

Well, anyway, they are trying to pull a fast one.
    As the other thread shows they sent bills to people in 2005 who never used their service. Looks like they may be starting again.

Note the previous post showing what you should write to them. Deny all knowledge of the charge, and remind them that as this is the first time they have attempted to contact you they are outside the statutory limit of 6 years.

In other words... **** off!

EDIT: Have a guess what word was filtered out by the profanity filter.
    Forum Member
    when i phoned i asked why they waited so long to contact me if i really did use this channel... they blabbed on about how i must have recently recieved a new sky box or card and that has re-processed the old order??

could this be true? i have just got a new sky plus box!
  • SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigbiffa wrote: »
    when i phoned i asked why they waited so long to contact me if i really did use this channel... they blabbed on about how i must have recently recieved a new sky box or card and that has re-processed the old order??

Doesnt really matter. The law is the law. It is up to them to provide proof that you purchased the movies which if you haven't (as you have said you didnt) then they will not have any proof.

Plus its past the 6 years. I would take the advice above. Stick it all in writing and tell them from now on correspondence from you will be £30 a letter.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the owner of a small business, I have to say that scams like this are fairly common, just like fake invoices.

The latest one I had was someone ringing about some school books that I allegedly ordered and not paid for, the problem they had, was that I was out of the country when I had allegedly ordered these books. When I pointed this out to the caller, they rang off instantly!
    Forum Member
    has anyone else recieved a similar letter from this company?
  • SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a link to an old thread higher up about that. At the end of the day if you dont owe the money then tell them straight you want the proof etc.
    Forum Member
    well when i phoned RHF productions i told them i wanted a statement with what i had supposed to have watched. Receieved a letter this morning saying i watched 4 movies. 1 movie on 5/1/2004 and 3 movies on 31/1/2004 all within an hour??
    film times 00.17, 00.44 , 01.15??? when i phoned them they said it was 2001 aswell!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask them to provide the viewing card number used to book the films to.

Also their original letter claimed that the credit card transaction was DECLINED. Ask them to confirm the credit card details that they claim to have.

Once again deny that you purchased these movies from them.

I suspect that they will be unable to give you your viewing card number or your credit card number (not unless they bought it off a scammer list on the internet).
    Forum Member
    thanks caffinejunkie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I Have Same Sort Of Letter Stating That I Owe £73 For Channels That I Know I Have Never Had (sex Channels). I Have Also Sent A Letter Recorded Delivery Stating The Same. They Say I Have Had The Channels They Have My Sky Number And Have The Last Four Digits Of A Credit Card That They State Was Mine. All These Channels Were Watched In 2004 This Is Totally Rubbish. Please Can Anyone Help How Do I Handle This.....gill
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds like a scam , they have your sky viewing card number which can be obtained from other sources (eg extended warranty cowboys). Why cant they quote the whole credit card number if they are genuine ? I reckon it is a debt collection agency passing themselves off as this channel. They have snippets of information and hope that a percentage of people will be frightened or embarrassed and pay up. As debts cannot be recovered after 6 years they can just make up dates from 2003 onwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In addition to my post above , if they contact you again ask them for specific details because if they claim you were a customer they would hold complete information that is necessary to bill you. For instance they should have the complete credit card number , the issuer of the card , the valid start and expiry dates and the three digit security pin which is all asked for when setting up a subscription.
    Forum Member
    Thanks I was thinking it must be a scam because I have read alot about this company. They won't get a penny from me they can take me to court first. Just they are very unhelpful
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 0871 prefix should give it away. This looks like a scam.
    Be careful!
  • oddballoddball Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    bigbiffa wrote: »

While you did get a new box I highly doubt this is what triggered the "order" because the only place it would have been stored is on the viewing card and the card was replaced in 2003. So I don't think the new card would have triggered an order because it has a different number to the old one.
    Forum Member
    I have now received a letter from Wescot Debt collectors regarding my out standing debt from RHF productions. I do not know anything about these so called channels that I have suppose to have watched. Please help what should I do next. Can anyone help that has experienced this before.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Write to the debt collectors, telling them you know nothing about this debt, and you will be most happy to explain this in court if necessary. It will cost them more than the amount outstanding to take the matter to court, and if they did, from what you have said, it will be thrown out.

If you do as I say, I doubt very much if you hear anything else from them.
    Forum Member
    sent a letter to wescot stating that I know nothing about this and asked why can they charge me if they say the card was declined and why have i never recieved a bill from my credit card company over the 4 months in 2004 they say i have had the channels and also said i would charge them £30 for each letter that I had to write to end this stupid debit. and would take the letter to get legal adivce so when I take them to court I would claim compensation for all the lettersx that I have written and the distress caused to me and my husband. Also sent a copy of the letter that someone had drafted
    and sent to them as well. Thank you it has worked. They have replied stating that they have removed the debt from their computer and sent it back to their client (RHF productions) Lets hope this is the end and RHF do not decide to go another debt collector. This has got to be a scam. hope this is useful to anyone else that gets these very nasty and insulting letters.