Does anyone remember this time-travel "film"?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
Forum Member
I was speaking to someone the other day about something that they described as an "old film" which they claimed that I had also seen and had apparently enjoyed (I can't remember it!).

They described it as being a time-travel film, where the male character travels back through time and meets a woman. At some point this man gives the woman the results of some horse race which she uses to become rich.

I might have the details wrong - and NO it's not "Back to the Future" and I'm sure it's not "The Time Traveller's Wife" - but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this might have been. It is supposed to be relatively old. Please help if possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be

A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
    Black Knight (2001)
    Timeline

I know they have horses in.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be

Black Knight (2001)
    Timeline

It's not either of those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure, might have been something that happened in a film such as The Philadelphia Experiment maybe?
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the TV series 'Life On Mars' Sam tells his mother to put her life savings on Red Rum in the Grand National. She sensibly refuses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    No, the betting on a horse race is integral to it.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Somewhere In Time starring Christopher Reeve?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a vague memory of an old black and white film where the gist was that someone has visions of the next days newspapers............and might have made money on the horses having seen the results

I found the film ..........

It Happened Tomorrow (1944) staring Dick Powell

précis ........."Powell plays a reporter who is given, by a ghostly deceased newspaper man named Pop Benson, a newspaper that has tomorrow's news. He uses the paper to write stories and get the "scoop" on other newspaper men. In addition, he uses the power to bet on horses he knows will win and gains considerable wealth. He and new girlfriend Sylvia enjoy the power for a while until the paper predicts the reporter's death"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    there was one with Kurt Russel and James Spade in it..time travel one..forgot whats it called now..They put their hands on the wall and get in the next time travel world, or summat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Stargate ?
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I have a vague memory of an old black and white film where the gist was that someone has visions of the next days newspapers............and might have made money on the horses having seen the results

I found the film ..........

It Happened Tomorrow (1944) staring Dick Powell

précis ........."Powell plays a reporter who is given, by a ghostly deceased newspaper man named Pop Benson, a newspaper that has tomorrow's news. He uses the paper to write stories and get the "scoop" on other newspaper men. In addition, he uses the power to bet on horses he knows will win and gains considerable wealth. He and new girlfriend Sylvia enjoy the power for a while until the paper predicts the reporter's death"

Thanks swingaleg, I will look into that one.
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Stargate ?

No, they travel to another planet - and although the net effect of that might be considered a form of "time" travel - the film I am trying to find is entirely set on earth.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Even if I don't find the right film I might get some good recommendations for time-travel films I haven't seen before - hopefully!
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a tv film with Peter Firth called 'The Flipside of Dominic Hyde'. Firth was Dominic who was a time traveller, using a method they called 'flipping' from one age to another (hence the pun in the title!)
    No horserace, but Dominic having impregnated his girlfriend,
    then gave her the result of the FOLLOWING week's Football Pools draw! She won,and her and Dominics child were assured then of a secure future!
    His GF was the lovely Caroline Langrishe who also starred in later series of 'Lovejoy' as a lady auctioneer.
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »
    There was a tv film with Peter Firth called 'The Flipside of Dominic Hyde'. Firth was Dominic who was a time traveller, using a method they called 'flipping' from one age to another (hence the pun in the title!)
    then gave her the result of the FOLLOWING week's Football Pools draw! She won,and her and Dominics child were assured then of a secure future!
    His GF was the lovely Caroline Langrishe who also starred in later series of 'Lovejoy' as a lady auctioneer.

Thanks Timebug. I have forwarded the Wikipedia page on this to the person that raised the query.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,083
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »

I used to love this..am sure it wouldlook very dated now but at the time it was so forward thinking..lol
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Yes, I do.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Ah, the old "tomorrow's newspapers" trope - always a goodie. There's a wonderful, old-fashioned film called The Rocking Horse Winner (based on a story by D. H. Lawrence, no less) about a kid whose rocking horse can predict race winners. Made in 1950 if I recall correctly, and well worth a watch.