Options

Sounds of the Sixties.

13»

Comments

• Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A while back I thought there was a poor selection of 60s' songs on SOTS but in the past few weeks there have been a much better selection of songs played -- that I like anyway.... maybe the producer had read the discussion on here some time back!!! ;)

I often wonder how many shows are recorded in advance because it took Brian Matthew six weeks before he mentioned the death of Jet Harris.. and this weekend John Walker of The Walker Brothers died, so I wonder how long it will take before Brian pays tribute to John!
  • Options
    Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I have not listened for ages now, I don't like Brian Mathews presentation I have to say I find him slightly patronising, I always have going right back to when I was 9 or 10 I heard him on the then BBC light programme, It must have been saturday club even then I thought he sounds very BBC, sad to say he's not changed but then why would he?

Brian has one of the friendliest and most personable styles in music radio history. Warm, knowledgeable and a total professional. I hope he continues for quite a few more years yet!
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis H wrote: »
    Brian has one of the friendliest and most personable styles in music radio history. Warm, knowledgeable and a total professional. I hope he continues for quite a few more years yet!

He probably will continue but that is my view, I heard awhile ago that he said it was his idea back in the late 50's or early 60's to the BBC that they should have some popular music on the Light programme at the weekends, So the people in charge of the Light programme give him & David Symonds etc some shows ok, But to me Brian Mathews represents that time rather like David Jacobs did & still does that is patronising the listeners & at bit stale.
  • Options
    dml21dml21 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    A while back I thought there was a poor selection of 60s' songs on SOTS but in the past few weeks there have been a much better selection of songs played -- that I like anyway.... maybe the producer had read the discussion on here some time back!!! ;)

I often wonder how many shows are recorded in advance because it took Brian Matthew six weeks before he mentioned the death of Jet Harris.. and this weekend John Walker of The Walker Brothers died, so I wonder how long it will take before Brian pays tribute to John!

To be honest I listen to Dean Marin's 60s show on Sundays on Gold, 5 hours of 60s music and Live requests from listeners plus last month Steve Ellis from Love Affair called in and told Dean he listens most weeks.

No Radio show these days should be pre-recorded, keep radio Live!!
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I''ve recently been listening to Rock & roll heaven on a saturday night on BBC Essex with Bernie Keith which is live a great 50's & 60's Show
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect to him, I really think it time BM retired. He is just not sounding good to listen to, he is after all in his eighties.

Time to hand over to someone like Johnnie Walker who would do the show live so there could be some interaction with listeners.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I hate it when great presenters come to an age when they don't sound as good as they used to. It happened with the great Wogan, and Tel did the right thing and gave up his daily show before it became embarrassing for him.

It's getting near that time for Brian, sadly, and I agree with North Downs - the only one to take his place is Johnnie.
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian doesn't sound too good now, same with David Jacobs. I have nothing against these presenters but they need to go while they are still at the top.
    Another 'older' presenter Keith Skues still has a great voice and can be heard on BBC for the East. I don't think he will ever return to national radio but he could still do a good job on Sounds of the Sixties.
  • Options
    ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I agree JW would be the ideal choice to replace Brian Matthew, there's a few others who could do the job.

Here's the presenters I have in mind;
    1. David Hamilton
    2. Dave Cash
    3. Roger Day
    4. Paul Burnett.
    They all broadcast on radio in the sixties and have a good music knowledge of the era.

What do others think?
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    Although I agree JW would be the ideal choice to replace Brian Matthew, there's a few others who could do the job.

1. David Hamilton
    2. Dave Cash
    3. Roger Day
    4. Paul Burnett.
    They all broadcast on radio in the sixties and have a good music knowledge of the era.

What do others think?

I still enjoy listening to Brian each week. he sounds like a really nice genuine guy who is still very interested in what he is doing, unlike some who are so much younger than him.

As for an eventual replacement. Paul Burnett would get my vote from the names listed. JW covered for Brian in 2006/7 and did not cut the mustard in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I don't think the listeners want interaction with the show other than e mails which require a month's notice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pardon the bump as it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for this one.

Fab pic of Adam Adamant on this week's SOTS page. The artwork that goes with the photo is exactly right for 66/67.
  • Options
    AJ007AJ007 Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    aja wrote: »

1. David Hamilton
    2. Dave Cash
    3. Roger Day
    4. Paul Burnett.

What do others think?

Spot on, aja! It's a pity that the BBC, even after 26 years, that they were wrong to let David Hamilton leave!

Personally, if DH didn't get the job, I'd give it to Roger Day, especially as the BBC are determined to scrap his Radio Kent show!
  • Options
    Nutty Big DNutty Big D Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    ..as it was identical to the last record played on Anneka's show! I thought there were procedures to prevent this? A few years back we had "When I'm 64" played within a half hour of it previously being played, but it's a bit much just to have the news interrupting two plays of You Were Made for me!
    :)
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These things happen I suppose, but if you were producing a show that you know is followed by a pre-recorded programme dedicated to 60's music, wouldn't you, as a rule, avoid scheduling a 60's track within fifteen or so minutes of the end?
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Just watching the Jeff Lynne doc. I know he could never commit to a weekly show but his musical knowledge, stories and contacts, he'd be good with a pile of records of his choosing and a microphone
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ007 wrote: »
    Spot on, aja! It's a pity that the BBC, even after 26 years, that they were wrong to let David Hamilton leave!

Personally, if DH didn't get the job, I'd give it to Roger Day, especially as the BBC are determined to scrap his Radio Kent show!

Much depends on whether SOTS remains in its current slot in the post Matthew era (not likely IMO), moves to another weekend slot or is part of an extended Johnnie Walker combined 60s/70s show. I like the last option with Tony Blackburn doing a Saturday breakfast show with POTP as an integral feature after 0900.
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These things happen I suppose, but if you were producing a show that you know is followed by a pre-recorded programme dedicated to 60's music, wouldn't you, as a rule, avoid scheduling a 60's track within fifteen or so minutes of the end?

Does make you wonder whether Anneka's show is pre-recorded ;-)
  • Options
    ibzjohnibzjohn Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The same Freddie and the Dreamers track before and after the 8 o clock news is not really acceptable - even for the BBC, As SOTH is recorded then its sloppy work on the Anneka Rice side. If it was later in the day it would have been more noticeable.
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Much depends on whether SOTS remains in its current slot in the post Matthew era (not likely IMO), moves to another weekend slot or is part of an extended Johnnie Walker combined 60s/70s show. I like the last option with Tony Blackburn doing a Saturday breakfast show with POTP as an integral feature after 0900.

Me too, Tony Blackburn on Saturday Breakfast, 7-10 with an hour 9-10 of Sounds of the 60s. Sorted!
  • Options
    Colin_WilliamsColin_Williams Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    ..as it was identical to the last record played on Anneka's show! I thought there were procedures to prevent this? A few years back we had "When I'm 64" played within a half hour of it previously being played, but it's a bit much just to have the news interrupting two plays of You Were Made for me!
    :)

I can't understand why they would programme a 60s record at the end of the show when they know that there are 2 hours of 60s music coming up.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand why they would programme a 60s record at the end of the show when they know that there are 2 hours of 60s music coming up.
    Perhaps it was meant to be a lead in to the next programme. In which case, it's a bit unfortunate that the same record was played so soon afterwards.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pubcrawler wrote: »
    Does make you wonder whether Anneka's show is pre-recorded ;-)
    I would have thought that was a given. I can't see Anneka Rice getting up in the wee hours of Saturday morning to come in to the studio to present a show once a week. I'd have expected most if not all of the celeb presenter shows to be VT'd.