The Media saying 'twenty fourteen' instead of 'two thousand and fourteen'

Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else irked by this recent phenomenon?

A couple of years ago, all TV and newsreaders used to say 'two thousand and twelve'; now all the rage seems to be 'twenty fourteen', bringing it to contemporary times.

It sounds so lazy.

For example, something that happened last year, they'd use the 'new, hipster' way of 'twenty thirteen' instead of the normal 'two thousand and thirteen'.

It might seem trivial but it really gets on many people's wick.

Comments

• f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I call it two thousand and fourteen, but it would be hypocritical to suggest Twenty Fourteen is wrong, considering we didn't celebrate New Years Eve One Thousand Nine Hundred and Ninety Nine did we?
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went through the last century as nineteen twenties to nineteen nineties were we wrong?

As soon as the noughties were over it was inevitable. Two thousand and nine, twenty ten.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    quarter past eight
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say "two thousand and fourteen". I don't know why, my sister for example says "twenty fourteen".. It's like saying, "3 hours and a half" and "3 and a half hours", I differentiate between the two.

It makes more sense saying "two thousand and fourteen" because 2009 was "two thousand and nine", not "twenty nine" or "twenty o nine".
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care for it either, but we've had it for at least 4 to 5 years now. I also really hate it being blurred into "twennyforteen".

Although I'm not against all shortening. we used to just say '99 as ninety-nine, why can't we go for '14?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A couple of years ago, all TV and newsreaders used to say 'two thousand and twelve'; now all the rage seems to be 'twenty fourteen', bringing it to contemporary times.

It sounds so lazy.

For example, something that happened last year, they'd use the 'new, hipster' way of 'twenty thirteen' instead of the normal 'two thousand and thirteen'.

When did the first world war start? I rest my case.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard news reporters saying two thousand and.... I'll carry on saying this until 2020 comes. Once 2020 comes, it will seem weird saying two thousand and twenty.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me. Couldn't give a toss either way as long as the meaning is clear.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no one cares about such a pedantic argument

ibyoudoforposting
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say two hundred and one and four.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely don't care.

What *is* mildly interesting, though, is that pre-Millennium nobody ever said "2000" without prefixing it with "the year". After it actually happened, nobody does that anymore when they're talking about it. That's odd, isn't it? It doesn't make me particularly cross, though, so maybe it's not right for this thread.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    When did the first world war start? I rest my case.

It started in nineteen hundred and fourteen ;-)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say two hundred and one and four.

One 2, one zero, one more one and a four= 2014

Courtesy of Consuela from Family Guy.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter? Twenty Fourteen vs Two Thousand and Fourteen. I say the former because it's quicker, and I'm a lazy cow. Plus my job involves a lot of number crunching and I get number fatigue.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I genuinely don't care.

What *is* mildly interesting, though, is that pre-Millennium nobody ever said "2000" without prefixing it with "the year". After it actually happened, nobody does that anymore when they're talking about it. That's odd, isn't it? It doesn't make me particularly cross, though, so maybe it's not right for this thread.

I still hear people say "Year 2000" actually, and I find that more odd.

Also completely disagree with OP. There is no reason to say it your way, it's just more of a mouthful. Nothing to be with being lazy. Personally I thought 2010 as a new decade felt like sensible point to change over. I also thought the old way would've died about after "Twenty Twelve", but it seems it hasn't. I expect it won't be until "Twenty Twenty" it will.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me sick to my stomach. Vile.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, so when it was between 2001 and 2009, why didn't people say 'twenty 0 1' or 'twenty 0 nine, like they did with 1901 up to 1909'?

It seemed everyone was saying 'two thousand and one' for 2001, not 'twenty 0 one'...
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It sounds so lazy.

For example, something that happened last year, they'd use the 'new, hipster' way of 'twenty thirteen' instead of the normal 'two thousand and thirteen'.*

Does it really matter?

* - It didn't start last year: it started as soon as 2009 ended. (My boss at the time called it "twenty ten".)
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    quarter past eight

:D:D:D
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Not me. Couldn't give a toss either way as long as the meaning is clear.

its not even recent either. who would ever say nineteen hundred and fifty four for example
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason I mentioned this was because you never heard this on the TV or radio between 2001 and 2012.

And believe me, I've certainly noticed only in the last year how 'modern' the media is trying to sound.

Thankfully in the US, they're still saying 'two thousand and fourteen' :)
  • GabbitasGabbitas Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    A Millennium ago it was 'ten fourteen' (in modern language anyway and assuming the same structure as 'ten sixty six') so why not 'twenty fourteen' for this year? To me it sounds less cumbersome than 'two thousand and fourteen'.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also really hate it being blurred into "twennyforteen".

You've been listening to Steve Wright! I hate all his fake Americanisms. It's just so false
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute, have they started a new century? The last one was bad enough.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first world war started in nineteen fourteen. A century on and it's twenty fourteen.

It all makes perfect sense.

The Kubrick movie should be "Twenty-o-one: A Space Odyssey" though.