Options

Australians divided over "racist" t-shirts on sale

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://mashable.com/2014/10/13/racist-singlet-woolworths-australia/

Woolworths has removed from sale t-shirts bearing the Australian flag with underneath "If you don't love it leave".

Some people have said the t-shirts are racist others have said that people should be able to express their love of Australia.

Woolies bowed down to pressure from campaigners to find pro Aussies berating them for removing them.

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woolies bowed down to pressure from campaigners to find pro Aussies berating them for removing them.

Eh? The article says it was only two Woolworths displaying the shirt, and that they were sent to the stores by mistake.

"Woolworths said the two stores were indadvertedly [sic] selling the singlet and it was "totally unacceptable."
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say such a t-shirt is racist.

Stupid and childish, yes; racist, no.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it not possible to express your love for your country without telling other people to leave it?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how it can possibly be racist, as surely the slogan applies to anyone who doesn't love Australia. Or does it mean the flag specifically? What if you love the country, but just don't love the flag? Do you still have to leave?

It's needlessly aggressive, but not racist.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not racist, just moronic.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "If you don't love it - leave".

That's how I feel about Planet Earth.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Not racist, just moronic.

The sort of moron who thinks their definition of loving their country is right(wing)
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which race(s) in particular is this t-shirt attacking?
    I must be missing something.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the slogan is not racist or moronic. Many people leave countries they don't like.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    So that's racist is it, how ridiculous.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Is it not possible to express your love for your country without telling other people to leave it?

Isn't it the case that like us, Australia has had citizens going on jihad. This tee shirt demands loyalty to the coumtry you live in or else move elsewhere. We could do with that attitide here.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about if you was on holiday and still had a fortnight left before your flight back to Blighty.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Isn't it the case that like us, Australia has had citizens going on jihad. This tee shirt demands loyalty to the coumtry you live in or else move elsewhere. We could do with that attitide here.

Bollocks. My loyalty is to my family and my friends, everything else can go hang.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Stephanie Banister would wear that shirt http://groupthink.jezebel.com/meet-australias-sarah-palin-1072157197
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Frankly, my "I mean it so much I'm going to wear it on a t-shirt" days ended when I was 10. But if you think that a cheap, nasty t-shirt sold by Woolies will change the potential jihadists' minds, you go ahead.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. I see no problem with the T-Shirt.

Not something I'd personally choose to wear, but I don't class it as offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it's like those people who plaster the St George's Cross all over their house.

Not racist, but you suspect they won't be splitting the atom anytime soon either.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth is it racist?

If it had been spotted being worn by an aboriginal Australian would the same idiots be calling it racist?

I think it's far more racist to make the assumption that it was directed at any particular race. You've got to have some very strange ideas about who belongs and likes being Australian to make that kind of assumption.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I think it's a perfectly appropriate statement.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Frankly, my "I mean it so much I'm going to wear it on a t-shirt" days ended when I was 10. But if you think that a cheap, nasty t-shirt sold by Woolies will change the potential jihadists' minds, you go ahead.

Would it sit more comfortably with you if said tee shirt said ' Welcome to Australia. We don't mind if you hate us. We ARE a teensy bit puzzled why you'd wish to live/settle here if that's the case though.' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Would it sit more comfortably with you if said tee shirt said ' Welcome to Australia. We don't mind if you hate us. We ARE a teensy bit puzzled why you'd wish to live/settle here if that's the case though.' ?

I wouldn't be able to read it because the point size would be too small.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I guess it's like those people who plaster the St George's Cross all over their house.

Not racist, but you suspect they won't be splitting the atom anytime soon either.

I suspect that people who confuse civic nationalism with ultra nationalism won't be splitting the atom anytime soon either.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see the racism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    I suspect that people who confuse civic nationalism with ultra nationalism won't be splitting the atom anytime soon either.

All nationalism is a bit silly. I get why governments and media encourage it though.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea, thank goodness the Ancient Greeks were nationalistic, otherwise we would be paying our taxes to Iran for the last 2000 years..