Options

Anyone else hating the Charity storyline?

Comments

• Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Atkins has tried her best but really, who thought shoving Charity into a tin can for a week would be exciting drama? Add to the fact we only last saw her being terrorised about 2 weeks ago, this is just repetitive and since we all know she'll survive, there is no real sense of danger.

It comes to something when I found Doug's Twitter troubles the more entertaining storyline last night.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will try it on with Cain again after hearing her speech last night wishing she had of stayed with Cain. What about Moira then.

I prefer Charity with Cain anyway. Some of their stunts was when Emmerdale was at its best.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Miss Moneyfanny

:D:D:D

I dislike the storyline largely because I hate Charity, Sam and Jai, so watching them all so much hasn't been enjoyable. The inevitable five second forgiveness is making it hard to invest in too.
    I utterly loathe the Doug crap, too. I swear he was likeable when he was in it before, why is he suddenly horrendous? Stupidest storyline I've seen this year.

SteveOwen wrote: »
    Emma Atkins has tried her best but really, who thought shoving Charity into a tin can for a week would be exciting drama? Add to the fact we only last saw her being terrorised about 2 weeks ago, this is just repetitive and since we all know she'll survive, there is no real sense of danger.

Good point.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    julie2009 wrote: »
    I think she will try it on with Cain again after hearing her speech last night wishing she had of stayed with Cain. What about Moira then.

I prefer Charity with Cain anyway. Some of their stunts was when Emmerdale was at its best.

Yes I agree. I don't think Cain and Moira are suited as a couple.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, its better than Doug and his twits!
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Yes I agree. I don't think Cain and Moira are suited as a couple.

Especially since Moiras new haircut has aged her 20 years.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see Cain and Charity back together. Cain and Moira don't go well together. I hate Jai at the moment for what he's done to Charity. The scene with the tame rat was comical. A wild one would have bitten her.
  • Options
    ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh at Charity talking about Saint Cain as if he was the perfect guy for her. When they were together he was overly possessive and jealous of any guy she talked to, he also cheated on her, terrorised her when she moved on from him, threatened her, blackmailed her, manhandled her, and tried to drown her/torture her using a kitchen sink. Charity must have been delirious to think Cain was the right guy for her.

I really don't want Charity/Cain to have an affair, I can't see Cain cheating on Moira anyhow. I would like to see Moira cheat on Cain though, if she could cheat on John twice when she felt down/neglected then she could easily do the same to Cain, and I'd love to see Cain's reaction to his beloved wife cheating, it would be awesome.

Also, Moira's short hair wouldn't be half so bad if it was actually styled in some way, it doesn't even look brushed.
  • Options
    PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I hate it because I have seen the spoilers, gggggrrrrr!
    Me...... cos she will come up smelling of roses, as always.
    I take it that is what is in the spoilers?
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,192
    Forum Member
    The Declan thing is ridiculous, running around like he's some SAS superman.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    Me...... cos she will come up smelling of roses, as always.
    I take it that is what is in the spoilers?
    Yes :(
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=ferdybookgeek;75232570]I had to laugh at Charity talking about Saint Cain as if he was the perfect guy for her. When they were together he was overly possessive and jealous of any guy she talked to, he also cheated on her, terrorised her when she moved on from him, threatened her, blackmailed her, manhandled her, and tried to drown her/torture her using a kitchen sink. Charity must have been delirious to think Cain was the right guy for her.

I really don't want Charity/Cain to have an affair, I can't see Cain cheating on Moira anyhow. I would like to see Moira cheat on Cain though, if she could cheat on John twice when she felt down/neglected then she could easily do the same to Cain, and I'd love to see Cain's reaction to his beloved wife cheating, it would be awesome.

Also, Moira's short hair wouldn't be half so bad if it was actually styled in some way, it doesn't even look brushed.[/QUOTE]

Exactly and as was discussed in another thread wasn't he violent to her in their earlier life together :confused::o These so called strong woman on Emmerdale really don't exist :(

I like Cain and Moira as a couple they seem to have got together at a time when they've both sinned and been sinned against and are trying to be better together. If we got Cain and Charity together again it would be going round in very tedious circles.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    she's a great actress but I can't be bothered with all this Charity rubbish and her always coming out on top, it was part of the reason I stopped watching. I really think it is about time she had nothing and no one. And please do not let her have an affair with Cain, I like him and Moira and it would mean John's death was for nothing if Cain has an affair with Charity.
  • Options
    ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly and as was discussed in another thread wasn't he violent to her in their earlier life together :confused::o These so called strong woman on Emmerdale really don't exist :(

I like Cain and Moira as a couple they seem to have got together at a time when they've both sinned and been sinned against and are trying to be better together. If we got Cain and Charity together again it would be going round in very tedious circles.

Yea, it's been mentioned a few times that Cain was violent towards Charity in the past, that's why I hated Charity banging on about Cain as if he was good to her and as if she wouldn't be in the mess she was now if she was still with him. Er, no. If she was with Cain he probably would have screwed her over in some other way and she'd have been miserable with him.

I do find Cain/Charity far more entertaining than Cain/Moira, their scenes are really entertaining but they're way better as parents/family/antagonists and not as romantic interests. I hope Charity was delirious and she hasn't fallen for Cain, the way he treated her wasn't much better than Declan and Jai.

I'm looking forward to Charity climbing her way back to the top, it's inevitable.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,327
    Forum Member
    I actually laughed out loud when she said they'd put him to sleep :D

In Megan's upset state I half expected her to think they meant 'putting to sleep' in the vet / animal way!

It's not been as good as last week but I have still enjoyed it. I can see how Jai has been pushed to this point - I really don't think he planned to kill her (wouldn't have told Sam where she was if he did) but thought it was the only way he'd find his son. Sam leaving her is harder to believe but it was a twist I didn't expect. The only bit i've raised my eyebrows at was her monologue I know she was supposed to be talking to God but it just came across like she knew there was somebody outside listening the whole time.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially since Moiras new haircut has aged her 20 years.
    It's like she's purposely trying to push Cain back into Charity's arms with that hairdo...
    I had to laugh at Charity talking about Saint Cain as if he was the perfect guy for her. When they were together he was overly possessive and jealous of any guy she talked to, he also cheated on her, terrorised her when she moved on from him, threatened her, blackmailed her, manhandled her, and tried to drown her/torture her using a kitchen sink. Charity must have been delirious to think Cain was the right guy for her..
    He also trapped her in a hotel room and tried to smother her with a pillow. :blush: Charity was definitely looking back on that relationship with rose-tinted glasses. :D I suppose because he's the only one of her exes that hasn't tried to kill her - recently, at least!
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »

It comes to something when I found Doug's Twitter troubles the more entertaining storyline last night.
    That's the crux of the matter for me too. Charity's machinations and evil stunts always entertain me, but like most people, although I don't want her to leave the show, I really needed for her to get a proper comeuppance that would place her firmly in the gutter for some considerable time.

We all know that's probably not going to happen, so her ramblings in the container (after only one day - why's she so apparently delirious so soon btw? :confused:), were just tedious rather than nailbiting. Personally I just want her to be rescued so we can all move on to the next part of her comeuppance, (ie her losing Home Farm and moving house yet again). :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    That's the crux of the matter for me too. Charity's machinations and evil stunts always entertain me, but like most people, although I don't want her to leave the show, I really needed for her to get a proper comeuppance that would place her firmly in the gutter for some considerable time.

We all know that's probably not going to happen, so her ramblings in the container (after only one day - why's she so apparently delirious so soon btw? :confused:), were just tedious rather than nailbiting. Personally I just want her to be rescued so we can all move on to the next part of her comeuppance, (ie her losing Home Farm and moving house yet again). :)

Yes, when I heard about this plot I did for 2 minutes think how brilliant it woud be if they'd managed to keep Atkins leaving under wraps (even though I would miss her) but as soon as the spoliers for the end of the month came out we knew she'd survuve. If they hadn't done that there might have been just a nagging doubt that she was going to be a shock death for the anniversary which would have kept up the suspense

Also, it is so clear that she won't be completely down and out because having this happen so soon after Declan will get at least some people feeling sorry enough for her to guve her a home and probably job.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I do find Cain/Charity far more entertaining than Cain/Moira, their scenes are really entertaining but they're way better as parents/family/antagonists and not as romantic interests. I hope Charity was delirious and she hasn't fallen for Cain, the way he treated her wasn't much better than Declan and Jai.

I'm looking forward to Charity climbing her way back to the top, it's inevitable.

Yes, yes yes, totally agree. I love them as exes. Getting back together would be going backwards. But they are cracking in scenes together.

I don't think Charity loves anyone in a soft rosy marshmallowy way. I think her feelings for Cain aren't anything to do with him treating her well or badly, just that he was about the only person who could hold his own against her and refused to be dominated and controlled by her. But she can keep on regretting and wishing, far as I'm concerned. they can be partners in crime and nothing else. :cool:
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    In Megan's upset state I half expected her to think they meant 'putting to sleep' in the vet / animal way!

It's not been as good as last week but I have still enjoyed it. I can see how Jai has been pushed to this point - I really don't think he planned to kill her (wouldn't have told Sam where she was if he did) but thought it was the only way he'd find his son. Sam leaving her is harder to believe but it was a twist I didn't expect. The only bit i've raised my eyebrows at was her monologue I know she was supposed to be talking to God but it just came across like she knew there was somebody outside listening the whole time.

I was under the impression she thought Jai was outside.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know she'll eventually be more-or-less forgiven by the Dingles (except maybe Sam) and get away with it again.

No doubt Miss Moneyfanny will soon set her sights on the new man at Home Farm as the richest sucker in the village.

Or maybe she'll keep it in the family and turn to Cain again?

Unfortunately, you'll probably be right.

bib::D:D Excellent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression she thought Jai was outside.

At first yes but when nobody came in I thought she thought she'd been mistaken but kept rabbitting on anyway. And going on about Cain being 'the one' would hardly endear her to Jai would it - if she wanted to play him she'd have gone on about regretting it not working with him or taking Archie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    At first yes but when nobody came in I thought she thought she'd been mistaken but kept rabbitting on anyway. And going on about Cain being 'the one' would hardly endear her to Jai would it - if she wanted to play him she'd have gone on about regretting it not working with him or taking Archie.

Yes, and she wouldn't have called Rachel a tart... I was quite confused. I think she was just talking to stop feeling so alone/ scared about dying and distract her from being thirsty or hungry or whatever. Very conveniently she stopped talking as soon as Sam left :p

I haven't used this forum in a long time! I didn't realise it was 2012 I made it in :blush: Life has just been too busy.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,753
    Forum Member
    Also, it is so clear that she won't be completely down and out because having this happen so soon after Declan will get at least some people feeling sorry enough for her to guve her a home and probably job.
    I think that's why they've done this - to speed up her redemption, or at least have everyone feel sorry for her without actually having Charity work for it. This way she gets the pity vote, and everyone moves on quickly.

I thought this was going to be epic, coming hot on the heals of Declan's revenge/Charity being exposed, but Jai kidnapping her and locking her in a random rusty shipping container has been dull and anti-climatic. So much more boring than what it seemed like on paper. Maybe that's partly b/c she was just kidnapped/almost killed by Declan 2 weeks ago, and maybe partly b/c Jai is a boring choice. I also hated how Jai fell down the stairs struggling with Sam in that phoney soap way at the top of the landing. I think it would have been better if Jai had been accidentally, and unknowingly, knocked down by a car (at night, after confronting Charity in the container) and left on the side of the road, while Charity drifted in and out of consciousness (playing up her knocking on death's door).
  • Options
    dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole kidnap by Jai is ridiculous and is clearly to redeem charity within the dingle clan. Much would have preferred to see her having to deal with the rejection of her family and clawing respect back over time whilst trying to deal with losing home farm/money than this whole kidnap thing. However I'm still loving ED at the moment