Home Insurance claim - iPad Air

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically, I have a guest staying round, and through no fault of anybodies, the iPad Air in question was dropped on the floor, by accident, and the screen subsequently shattered.

I have Googled guides on how to fix it and it just seems more trouble than it is worth. I am also looking in to having it fixed by a third party, but apparently this will void any warranty as no third party can supply genuine Apple parts, as Apple don't supply them to any firm (don't know if that's true or not, though - wouldn't surprise me)!

So. Do I claim on my home insurance? My excess is £100. I just want this problem fixed asap as my guest is devastated (understandably so) and I feel so bad. And if I do claim on my house insurance, will my premiums then sky rocket next year (currently paying just short of £90/year)? Anybody had any experience claiming for an iPad Air or anything similar?

Or should I go down the third party route and get it fixed by them, if it comes under £100 for a quote, that is?

I just don't know what to do. I am assuming Apple won't fix it because the guest doesn't have AppleCare+ or whatever their accidental damage insurance package is. If it helps, the product is under one year old and was purchased from John Lewis. I don't know if that matters, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So. Do I claim on my home insurance? My excess is £100.......... I am assuming Apple won't fix it because the guest doesn't have AppleCare+ or whatever their accidental damage insurance package is.
    That's a bit contradictory. Who's iPad was it? If it was your guest's your home insurance (even if you have accidental damage cover anyway) is unlikely to cover a guest's property.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    That's a bit contradictory. Who's iPad was it? If it was your guest's your home insurance (even if you have accidental damage cover anyway) is unlikely to cover a guest's property.
    Ah, sorry. It is my guest's iPad, but as he is under 18, I am looking for a way to fix it. I'm going to have to go back through my policy and see if, like you say, they don't cover guest's property. I do have accidental damage cover, though.

Thank you for your reply. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    If you go through your insurance the premiums will be sky high next time for sure
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,422
    Forum Member
    I went through my insurance to fix my laptop screen - accidental damage - I hadn't claimed before. My premium went down at renewal with no other changes. It won't always go up
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only made a couple of claims in twenty years, one for a couple of thousand and one for a few hundred, and my premiums didn't rocket as far as I noticed.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a no brainer really , you say you have £100 excess so how much more is it going to cost for repair. Premiums will go up sure as night follows day. They (insurers) arn't going to supply new one for a guest anyway. If you say its yours thats fraud.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're anywhere near an Apple store I'd be inclined to take it in - be completely upfront about what happened to it and ask what your options are. Apple may take pity on the situation and offer a cheaper repair than normal (think I've read of this before) worth asking I'd have thought if there's one local - obviously don't go buying a train ticket half way across the country on the off-chance though ;) Good luck - hope you get it fixed.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's the guests, surely they have to claim from your insurance?
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    If you're anywhere near an Apple store I'd be inclined to take it in - be completely upfront about what happened to it and ask what your options are. Apple may take pity on the situation and offer a cheaper repair than normal (think I've read of this before) worth asking I'd have thought if there's one local - obviously don't go buying a train ticket half way across the country on the off-chance though ;) Good luck - hope you get it fixed.

If you're very lucky they may even repair it for free - yes really - they want the iTunes business. Tell them the truth, a teenager broke it and can't afford to replace the screen, is there anything they can do to help?
  • spikydogspikydog Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

I would have thought if it's the guests, they should claim on their (or their parent's) insurance. Most extended contents add-ons cover items taken outside the home (for a price).
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,422
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Its a no brainer really , you say you have £100 excess so how much more is it going to cost for repair. Premiums will go up sure as night follows day. They (insurers) arn't going to supply new one for a guest anyway. If you say its yours thats fraud.

It's not true that it is guaranteed premiums will go up!
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the product is under one year old and was purchased from John Lewis.

JL are pretty good. They give a 4 or 5 year warranty. It probably won't cover this but JL can probably get it repaired cheaply. Your guest should take it there.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the advice. My first port of call will be the John Lewis store. Then the Apple store, see if they can fix it for me (either for free or for under £100), next will be a claim on HIS parent's insurance (excess is also about £100) - as people are right, mine doesn't cover guest's contents.

Either way it will be fixed, and that's all I'm concerned about. It's his birthday tomorrow, too, so hopefully the Apple store will take extra pity on him. Worth a try!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

Doubt it very much. If the OP has accidental insurance then it's for their equipment not a guest.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »

I shattered the screen on my iPad Air a few months back. Took it to my local Apple Store, it cost me £240 for them to replace with a new one - at t he time they were unable to replace the screens in them. It was an expensive month - I did the same to my iPhone. Twice. (£120 a time, screen replaced in an hour). It was a bit embarrassing when they started greeting me by name!

It's not particularly cheap to do, obviously, but it doesn't affect your warranty, whereas taking it to a third party would.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    OP I'm confused, it's not your iPad, and it belongs to someone who was visiting. Why have you got to do the running around? Or were your or someone in your household responsible for the damage? ie knocked it of sofa etc
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    OP I'm confused, it's not your iPad, and it belongs to someone who was visiting. Why have you got to do the running around? Or were your or someone in your household responsible for the damage? ie knocked it of sofa etc

They said the person is under 18, So sounds like a young guest and their Ipad was damaged 'through no fault of anybodies' which leads towards, We did it but accidentally