Options

How long to get healthy teeth and gums after neglect

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been neglecting my teeth by not brushing them this past year, their is slight blood when I brush them, my support worker has booked me in to see the dentist which is routine when you get a new key worker here and I don't want to go with horrible teeth... Appointment is on the 11th November, if I continue to brush them twice a day would they be okay and healthy by then?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look for a mouthwash called Corsodyl, you can get it at ASDA and the like. The bleeding gums can be gum disease, using the mouthwash for a month (2x 300ml bottles) should sort it out. A dental nurse told me that it is harsh on your teeth so recommended not to use it all the time. I'd imagine the bleeding would have stopped well before the 11th.

Neglect will have had an effect on the enamel, but there isn't much you can do about that, I'd just be honest with the dentist and see what they suggest from there. The enamel building toothpastes may or may not work, he or she will be able to advise you better. I neglected my teeth for years (amongst every other aspect of my health) due to depression and was just honest with the dentist, Still something that I'm ashamed about, my teeth are horrible.
  • Options
    angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if youre lucky you might not have damaged them that much, i would start brushing them asap and use corsodyl mouthwash for the bleeding gums to stop it (the one with alcohol)

oral b toothpaste is very good.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got gum troubles here & dental hygenists seem to advising against mouthwashes these days, decent brush (preferably electric) & decent toothpaste, ones with an extra protection that lasts a few hours marked on packet & using as little water as possible when brushing
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dentist will have seen worse, just floss brush and use the aforementioned mouthwash daily and your teeth won't be too bad.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get one of those electronic toothbrushes and brush 3 times a day instead of 2 (or after meals).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most important thing to do is floss! Either with the tape, or I use a waterflosser. Also, use the interdental brushes - they are fantastic. My gums do not bleed at all. I've never neglected my teeth as such, but I packed up smoking after 20 years and got serious with my dental care. Interdental brushes and flossing will make the world of difference in a relatively short time.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I have been neglecting my teeth by not brushing them this past year, their is slight blood when I brush them, my support worker has booked me in to see the dentist which is routine when you get a new key worker here and I don't want to go with horrible teeth... Appointment is on the 11th November, if I continue to brush them twice a day would they be okay and healthy by then?

I wouldn't brush them too harshly and certainly no more than twice a day (once after breakfast and just before bedtime along with the use of satin-type dental floss). I'd also suggest asking your dentist about the best way to brush, etc. and what types of toothpaste, toothbrushes and dental floss are most suitable for you. Good luck!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your teeth are stuffed. Ask your dentist for the best/cost effective way forward.

If on JSA/ESA ask about benefits to sort you out.

Google.
  • Options
    KEITH_MAGICKEITH_MAGIC Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Use flourigard mouthwash twice a day and brush twice a day. It will certainly help:)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your teeth are stuffed. Ask your dentist for the best/cost effective way forward.

Google.
    That's a rather down in the mouth response.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Google.

Wow, idiots deliberately neglect their teeth then get handed benefits to fix 'em ?
    There seems to be no end to my generosity as an Income Tax payer.

I gotta use my own money when my teeth need work.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Wow, idiots deliberately neglect their teeth then get handed benefits to fix 'em ?
    There seems to be no end to my generosity as an Income Tax payer.

I gotta use my own money when my teeth need work.

You don't have to work and you don't have to pay taxes! ;-)

Give up your job and climb over the fence if it upsets you that much, after all living on benefits is a life of relaxation and financial bliss going by every tax payer on DS!
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gums recover quite quickly when you restart proper dental hygiene - assuming you don't have an infection. Expect any bleeding and pain to stop with 7-10 days, and the redness to clear completely within a month. if the neglect has caused recession (where the gums start to pull away from the teeth exposing the roots) this, I am afraid is permanent, but your dentist will be able to give you advice on how to manage the problem and prevent it getting worse.

Note that it is not enough to simply brush your teeth, proper technique is essential for good gum health. Your teeth need to be brushed for about 2 minutes with a good brush (consider changing every 3 months) and a flouride toothpaste, taking care to cover the all the teeth and gumline. Daily flossing to clean between the teeth is also important. Avoid pressing too hard with the brush as this can damage the gums.

Many people find an electric toothbrush is easier to use especially to reach the back teeth, and special floss picks are available from dentists if you find it hard to get floss between the back teeth.

If your gums are very red or sore Corsodyl is effective in speeding up healing but needs to be used for at least a month. Bear in mind that Corsodyl can sometimes stain teeth especially if you brushing technique is poor, but your dentist will be able to remove any staining.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Bleeding gums can be a sign of vitamin K deficiency.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Never brush your teeth straight after a meal. Your enamel is loose after eating/drinking, so if you're brushing immediately after then your brushing away the enamel. You should wait one hour after eating/drinking before brushing. If your morning routine is havign breakfast before brushing...then change it!

- Electric toothbrushes are better than manual brushes...the main reason being the technique. You should never brush your teeth from left to right...this brushes away the enamel. You should instead brush in a circular motion, without pressing to hard. Electric brushes help with this.

- Brush your tongue. Bacteria congrigates on your tongue.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brush twice a day, holding your brush at an angle so that it touches the gum line and then floss, floss and floss. Use the brushes to get between the larger gaps and floss for the smaller. Your dentist may refer you to the hygienist who will give your teeth a thorough clean and polish. A small bit of blood does not mean gum disease but is a warning that you need to start looking after your teeth and gums. Forget corsodoyl, it's mainly used for infections and will not help your gums otherwise. Mouthwashes do nothing but mask the problem and are really a waste of money. Don't worry, your dentist will have seen it all before and a lot worse!

Look after your teeth OP, they really are very precious and losing them can cause all sorts of problems.