The Matt Cardle Appreciation Thread (Part 49)

Comments

• chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member
    to be fair (and I hate RFYL as much as the next man) he's never done an acoustic version of it.

I think the set list was very well done and chose songs which he has played before on his "one man and a guitar" travels. He is primarily over there to write so I doubt he would want to spend a lot of time rehearsing and trying to find a way of doing RFYL acoustically would be work. I imagine it's as much that as any deliberate slight in missing it out.

That said I was very glad he did

good point, and very convenient :)
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    I reckon RFYL will be back whenever he does a dolly mixture gig to a backing track in the UK - until he has a new one that the crowd can sing-a-long to from the next album.
  • Linda ShawLinda Shaw Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fab review:D

I adore that photo looks even better enlarged:eek::D

http://yfrog.com/z/oenp5qcj

Love the YT but at the same time I'm really sad that it's WWC and not a different one:cry::cry:

That photo does things to me that I couldn't possibly mention. :o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda Shaw wrote: »
    That photo does things to me that I couldn't possibly mention. :o:o

I think it's my favourite one ever:p:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Sam's snippet been outed yet? *not desperate or anything*:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be fair (and I hate RFYL as much as the next man) he's never done an acoustic version of it.

I think the set list was very well done and chose songs which he has played before on his "one man and a guitar" travels. He is primarily over there to write so I doubt he would want to spend a lot of time rehearsing and trying to find a way of doing RFYL acoustically would be work. I imagine it's as much that as any deliberate slight in missing it out.

That said I was very glad he did

I've never been that keen on RFYL but I think this version from Under the Bridge is the best I've heard.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2447611550186&set=vb.155242377880863&type=2&theater
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's my favourite one ever:p:p:D

I actually squealed out loud when I saw it!!!! He just looks so......no I can't. :o:o
  • piebaldladypiebaldlady Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    Has Sam's snippet been outed yet? *not desperate or anything*:o

Not yet, she is still driving back yet, perhaps this eve??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not yet, she is still driving back yet, perhaps this eve??

Ok:D:D
  • tillysteeth1tillysteeth1 Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Linda Shaw wrote: »
    I've never been that keen on RFYL but I think this version from Under the Bridge is the best I've heard.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2447611550186&set=vb.155242377880863&type=2&theater

Yep agreed - along with MTV sessions. These are much better versions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, not been on for a few days, it's taken an age to catch up..
    That photo :o)
    I think that particular playlist was perfect for the gig, and the video clip, perfect as always.
    So glad he didn't sing RFYL, i'm probably wrong but i'm sure i've heard a acoustic version, prehaps the video is on mcag, i'll try to find it next time i'm over there, can't do anything with it if i find it i've no idea how to post anything on here lol.
    Glad everyone that went to Highbarn had a great time, looking forward to any video's you have, was trying to keep up with tweets at work last night, had to give up, so i caught up about midnight, didn't realise they were playing outside (photo's on phone are smaller than a postage stamp) I did wonder why Ali was trying to eat a cricket ball, until i saw Sam's tweet much later about a giant gobstopper lol.
    Off to catch some sleep, working tonight, but i may have time to lurk later to see if Sam has posted her news, i just love nice surprises :o)

edit. haha not sure what these icons are, they were supposed to be :eek: and :D in that order:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep agreed - along with MTV sessions. These are much better versions

Agreed. I have both on my YT channel. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I just saw THAT picture:eek:
    ...i need to lie down...:p speaking of which, is that a bed...looks big enough for two..:p:eek::D
  • tillysteeth1tillysteeth1 Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    I just saw THAT picture:eek:
    ...i need to lie down...:p speaking of which, is that a bed...looks big enough for two..:p:eek::D

:D:D tis very very pretty....
  • CardlescardieCardlescardie Posts: 4,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trip to Highbarn:

I have to say I'm very impressed that Cat can now drive straight to The Five bells without getting lost - one minor wrong turning in the village (that will teach her to listen to me for a millisecond lol!). We arrived in dribs & drabs, but the full cast list was: Cat + OH, Mita + OH, Moomin, Pedsky, Samofbev, myself and @lovindamusic and @claret_and_white from twitter. Sunday lunch + pud downed successfully - I think I saw Josie the bar maid from Into the light, but no other "customers of note" were spotted. ;) (Wondering how nuts the OH's thought we were after listening to the chatter :o)

Then to Highbarn - well, I thought we were all done with "lane adventures" in Essex - but we found an absolutely corking single lane track that somehow got us there but felt as if we were heading into the middle of nowhere for a long time! :eek:

By the time we got there, it was nearly 5, when Ben Smith, Ali & Lorenzo were due to perform, so we went in, spotted Daddy Cardle on our way (stopped off for hugs), spotted Pippa sitting at his table (stopped off for hugs) then through to the marquee. What can I say - the guys looked like they were having such fun, and Ben Smith does a fine line in facial grimaces!

http://t.co/3SNd7q3B
    This is my first video upload - I'm chuffed as hell! And I love Ali's solo bits! :)

Then we had an hour or so to wait while they got ready for the evening performances in the barn. We stood outside chatting to Paul and Ali for a while - they really are fun guys! Sam gave Paul a copy of the book and they had a laugh at various "big pants" pics (poor Sam:o) - Paul seemed very taken with it, and I hope he has a laugh reading it.:p Lorenzo was nearby and we persuaded him into some photos, but for a rock God he seems a really shy guy, bless him.

https://twitter.com/#!/cardlescardie/status/199405724076478464/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/#!/cardlescardie/status/199239535819898880/photo/1

Anyway we asked Paul about the marathon - he confessed he has the ear phones in for the last few miles listening to "inspirational" tracks like The final Countdown, and.....yes.....Run for your life lol!! :p We had to laugh because he's now learned that when we show him our photos with Matt, he just has to say "You look like a married couple" and we're all in raptures!!! :D

I asked Ali how many people had applied so far for the ticket lottery - 800 or so for 2 tickets each, with 200 available. Kate is actually quite thankful that it is all being done by this automatic online thing, as they wouldn't fancy facing the phones calls involved otherwise. I'm actually quite relieved that Matt hasn't tweeted about it yet - they have enough to cope with as it is! Anyway, I have put in my request for All along the watchtower direct to Ali - he responded very positively, so I'm pretty sure they will do it. *prays* :D We've also suggested that if they do consider doing old Darwyn stuff, then Paul could take Richard Grace's place. Obviously, nothing is definite yet. I don't know if Matt will really be allowed to promote old stuff, but the pieces are all there if ptb give it the all clear.
    I WOULD DIE A HAPPY WOMAN IF I HEARD DARWYN STUFF LIVE! **promises to say prayers every night and be a good girl forever if it happens**

We had a long chat with Kate too - there were CD's of Richard Lobb by the bar - Lost & Found (picked one of those up) and we chatted about the tour, our favourite songs, how we'd like the band involved in the making of the next album, about the fact that Matt doesn't even answer DMs on twitter from her lol!

The evening's entertainment consisted of 5 acts - sorry I didn't get a programme so can't give you all their names, but my favourite 2 were Ady Johnson and Robert Castellani (the guy who plays the guitar as a percussion instrument, who we saw the last time we went) so I bought CDs for them too. One slightly awkward moment was when the last singer (a lady - sorry can't remember the name) chose to Sing First time ever I saw your face as her encore (horrified faces from us lot! :eek:). Her voice was very deep and folky, so it sounded completely different, but.........well, enough said, move on!

Anyway, it was a wonderful day spent with dear friends - of course we are all hoping we will be lucky and get back there on June 30th.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Fab review

I adore that photo looks even better enlarged:eek::D

http://yfrog.com/z/oenp5qcj

Love the YT but at the same time I'm really sad that it's WWC and not a different one:cry::cry:

:eek: What are you trying to do to me? He would not have been bored if I was there :o

Well Cardie it sounds like you and Daddy Cardle are old pals now! Thanks for the report, sounds like you all had a fantastic day. I love that picture of Ali laughing, could you have captured it better? :D:p Poor Sam :p

Well done on your chat about the gig with Matt, I was hoping they might do AATWT! 800 so far, I'm not getting my hopes up :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trip to Highbarn:

I have to say I'm very impressed that Cat can now drive straight to The Five bells without getting lost - one minor wrong turning in the village (that will teach her to listen to me for a millisecond lol!). We arrived in dribs & drabs, but the full cast list was: Cat + OH, Mita + OH, Moomin, Pedsky, Samofbev, myself and @lovindamusic and @claret_and_white from twitter. Sunday lunch + pud downed successfully - I think I saw Josie the bar maid from Into the light, but no other "customers of note" were spotted. ;) (Wondering how nuts the OH's thought we were after listening to the chatter :o)

Then to Highbarn - well, I thought we were all done with "lane adventures" in Essex - but we found an absolutely corking single lane track that somehow got us there but felt as if we were heading into the middle of nowhere for a long time! :eek:

By the time we got there, it was nearly 5, when Ben Smith, Ali & Lorenzo were due to perform, so we went in, spotted Daddy Cardle on our way (stopped off for hugs), spotted Pippa sitting at his table (stopped off for hugs) then through to the marquee. What can I say - the guys looked like they were having such fun, and Ben Smith does a fine line in facial grimaces!

http://t.co/3SNd7q3B
    This is my first video upload - I'm chuffed as hell! And I love Ali's solo bits! :)

Then we had an hour or so to wait while they got ready for the evening performances in the barn. We stood outside chatting to Paul and Ali for a while - they really are fun guys! Sam gave Paul a copy of the book and they had a laugh at various "big pants" pics (poor Sam:o) - Paul seemed very taken with it, and I hope he has a laugh reading it.:p Lorenzo was nearby and we persuaded him into some photos, but for a rock God he seems a really shy guy, bless him.

https://twitter.com/#!/cardlescardie/status/199405724076478464/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/#!/cardlescardie/status/199239535819898880/photo/1

Anyway we asked Paul about the marathon - he confessed he has the ear phones in for the last few miles listening to "inspirational" tracks like The final Countdown, and.....yes.....Run for your life lol!! :p We had to laugh because he's now learned that when we show him our photos with Matt, he just has to say "You look like a married couple" and we're all in raptures!!! :D

I asked Ali how many people had applied so far for the ticket lottery - 800 or so for 2 tickets each, with 200 available. Kate is actually quite thankful that it is all being done by this automatic online thing, as they wouldn't fancy facing the phones calls involved otherwise. I'm actually quite relieved that Matt hasn't tweeted about it yet - they have enough to cope with as it is! Anyway, I have put in my request for All along the watchtower direct to Ali - he responded very positively, so I'm pretty sure they will do it. *prays* :D We've also suggested that if they do consider doing old Darwyn stuff, then Paul could take Richard Grace's place. Obviously, nothing is definite yet. I don't know if Matt will really be allowed to promote old stuff, but the pieces are all there if ptb give it the all clear.
    I WOULD DIE A HAPPY WOMAN IF I HEARD DARWYN STUFF LIVE! **promises to say prayers every night and be a good girl forever if it happens**

We had a long chat with Kate too - there were CD's of Richard Lobb by the bar - Lost & Found (picked one of those up) and we chatted about the tour, our favourite songs, how we'd like the band involved in the making of the next album, about the fact that Matt doesn't even answer DMs on twitter from her lol!

The evening's entertainment consisted of 5 acts - sorry I didn't get a programme so can't give you all their names, but my favourite 2 were Ady Johnson and Robert Castellani (the guy who plays the guitar as a percussion instrument, who we saw the last time we went) so I bought CDs for them too. One slightly awkward moment was when the last singer (a lady - sorry can't remember the name) chose to Sing First time ever I saw your face as her encore (horrified faces from us lot! :eek:). Her voice was very deep and folky, so it sounded completely different, but.........well, enough said, move on!

Anyway, it was a wonderful day spent with dear friends - of course we are all hoping we will be lucky and get back there on June 30th.

Great review Cardie, sounds like you had a wonderful time. Another hug from Daddy Cardle too.

Eek there seems to be loads of interest in the Mali gig - 800 so far!! No way will I be lucky enough to get tickets. Good to hear that Ali wasn't averse to performing AATWT.

So Matt doesn't reply to Kate's DMs, the scamp that he is!!

Lolled at Paul listening to RFYL during the marathon.

Your video is ace, well filmed and caught the atmosphere perfectly. The guys looked as if they were really enjoying themsleves.

Thanks for posting. Not allowed any smilies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D tis very very pretty....

There's just so many details to take in :o

Brilliant report Cardie and gorgeous pictures. :eek: at the number of people who've applied for tickets already but I have a good feeling about for you guys and seriously hoping it's not a one off (it's waaaayyy too close to my due date to even consider entering :()
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    :eek: What are you trying to do to me? He would not have been bored if I was there :o

:p ahem.....wonder who the conversation was with that was boring him so much?
  • CardlescardieCardlescardie Posts: 4,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://t.co/tgq7ihLj

Just a thought......bit of fun.......how about a caption competition for this photo??

:D:D

(I have no prize to offer - just the glory!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just a thought......bit of fun.......how about a caption competition for this photo??

'Paul misses the point'

or

Paul - "I don't have a free hand, what can I point with"

Sorry, couldn't come up with anything better!
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's just so many details to take in :o

Brilliant report Cardie and gorgeous pictures. :eek: at the number of people who've applied for tickets already but I have a good feeling about for you guys and seriously hoping it's not a one off (it's waaaayyy too close to my due date to even consider entering :()

Yes when we were informed about the number of peeps who applied we too were shocked.;):D
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i will do my review about 5 Bells and Highbarn later when Ii feel better. xx;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whoever smelt it dealt it :D
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    Found a snippet referring to Chris DeStephano - who Matt was writing with a few days ago. He co-wrote Carrie Underwood's latest single (which is what the article is about) and according to someone on Youtube he is big in the country music scene in America.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=25139
This discussion has been closed.