Grand Designs new series.....

Comments

• googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite like the tower but the some of the other view angles have a slight air of "giant dilapidated garden shed" to them!
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Yeuk....dont like it at all...& is that an Anderson Shelter on top of the tower??
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like that disappearing glass wall though. Disaster if you don't like insects in the house though :D
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That glass wall is lovely. The corrugated bit is rather ugly right now - wonder what it will be like if it ever 'greens' up.
    Forum Member
    how on earth did they get that monstrosity through planning in the lovely Isle of Wight
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    She doesn't sound as though she likes it.
    Forum Member
    not overly keen was she....who the hell would buy it though??
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    I think it'd just be a bit creepy there with all that glass when it's dark.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap and very nasty was what I thought of it. Preferred the bungalow.

I once patinated some garden ornaments with the unpasteurised yoghurt trick. It worked fine and quite quickly but it didn't last. Within a year all the growths had gone. If conditions aren't right they won't survive once they've 'eaten' the yoghurt.
  • super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    how on earth did they get that monstrosity through planning in the lovely Isle of Wight

From someone who hasn't been to the IOW for a while ?
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whereabouts on the IOW this place is - I thought that somewhere near Ventnor?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    What a mess it was, I quite liked the bungalow, but the heart and soul was ripped out of it and it ended up looking very odd stuck onto the rest of the cowshe.....er house.

Simply horrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the look of the house but as usual my practicality steps into place. Imagine being the window cleaner, its not like they can afford one for a while anyway the way they were spending.

gARDEN looked lovely and the decking area. All that wind up their though howwwwl howwwl howwwwl. Also rats will get under that decking to live with the large holes under it.

Too practical for my own good.

My favourite one ever was that carpenter who lived in the forest. And made his house from trees and everything was eco friendly. Mmmm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    The thing that was bugging me was....who did she remind me of? Then it came to me.....Liz Earle. :D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always avoid Kevin's final "pontification" at the close of the programme.

You'd think it was a syliloquy from Hamlet, he was delivering.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a horrible house, how could that get through planning anywhere? The tower looked awful. Good grief one of the worst I've seen on GDs.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    I think it'd just be a bit creepy there with all that glass when it's dark.

LOL! That's exactly what I think every time I see these people building houses with acres of glass. No matter how lovely they are I just know I'd be a gibbering wreck if I had to go into the kitchen on my own :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what happened to that monsterous house boat that was on this program once? It wasn't completed by the end of the program. :)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what happened to that monsterous house boat that was on this program once? It wasn't completed by the end of the program. :)

I seem to remember someone posted a link to a picture of it moored out in the middle of nowhere looking very dejected and abandoned - mind you, it did look pretty abandoned when the family were actually living in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    I'm thinking a bungalow with a small community college attached to it but I could yet be wrong.

:D That's what it looks like! It's awful.

Why is it that the people with the most money always seem to have the least amount of taste??? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Oh but you know what I DID like about it?

They had personalised hard hats and made one for Kevin too!

Shame that the website they advertised on the back doesn't exist...Doh!
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the daughter got the whole bungalow bit to herself? And the parents got the kitchen/living/entrance area and a pokey little bedroom at the top of the house?

She got a bit of a result there, didn't she?

I had a bit of a laugh at them banging on about how lovely the moss looked on the original roof, how it fit so beautifully with the landscape and how they wanted to replicate that on the bedroom walls only to then rip it off and whack on some chinese slate.

Did anyone else think the 'amazing veiw' from the tower just looked like a bunch of trees that they couldn't actually see over?
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I liked it. I didn't think I would, but even without the "green" finish to the tower it looks fine. They talked a lot of nonsense about retaining the character of the bungalow (all 50 years of it) but I never thought that would work, unless they got mossy tiles for the rest of the roof.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only last week I was advised by my builder not to go for a Chinese slate roof as there can be problems with it, apparently. Welsh slate is much more expensive, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember someone posted a link to a picture of it moored out in the middle of nowhere looking very dejected and abandoned - mind you, it did look pretty abandoned when the family were actually living in it.

AS THAT THE ONE ON A LAKE? If so the revisited series on More 4 has been back and they are living there. I think they ran out of money and couldn't furnish it properly. The whole time they built that all I thought was... imagine the damp problems they'll have