Trojan On DS ?

Trolling through the pages of DS, reading a few pages of intrest, avira seemed to pick up a Trojan :cry:
The Trojan was
HTML/Feebs.Gen - Malware
Is there any one else who has picked this up today off of DS?
Reading through the virus information this is what is said about the said Trojan:

Feebs is malware which wraps an executable in html and script code. The executable is encrypted in this script and is dropped on execution. The malware author uses this technique to obfuscate the presence of the executable file and deliver it to the victim without being blocked by an anti-virus scanner.

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an every week occurrence now it seems...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god Avira picked it up :)
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how did yo get it? surely it didnt come from here?

btw, the virus report suggest you can only catch it from running a file sent via email or picked up through torrent sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    how did yo get it? surely it didnt come from here?

btw, the virus report suggest you can only catch it from running a file sent via email or picked up through torrent sites.

It sure came from here, only page i had open
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMURFIT wrote: »
    It sure came from here, only page i had open

doesnt square with what the security data says about the virus... weird..... you running IE or firefox?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah ha - looks like avira is reporting a false positive.

http://www.admuncher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5298

that certainly makes more sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesnt square with what the security data says about the virus... weird..... you running IE or firefox?

Running IE when 1st picked up, then went over to Firefox and picked it up on that as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, my Avira has been going crazy today.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This might depend on how high you've got the heuristics set though.
  • Richard SwanRichard Swan Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Hi all, just seen this.

We've seen Feebs.gen warnings before, and yes it looks likely to be a false positive from Avira.

I'll keep an eye out for anything strange & will doublecheck the AV scanners just in case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why it is silly for DS staff to moan about people using adblockers - either get your ad supplier sorted out or let us block the ads for our own security - this is getting beyond a joke.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    This is why it is silly for DS staff to moan about people using adblockers - either get your ad supplier sorted out or let us block the ads for our own security - this is getting beyond a joke.

Read the posts, it's got **** all to do with DS.

Edit: Why is 'f e c k' censored? Do you not watch Father Ted?
  • JamesLookJamesLook Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Read the posts, it's got **** all to do with DS.

Edit: Why is 'f e c k' censored? Do you not watch Father Ted?

This time, plenty of other times their lousy ad provider has caused all sorts of malware problems on Windows machines.

Why are you so angry?
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    JamesLook wrote: »
    This time, plenty of other times their lousy ad provider has caused all sorts of malware problems on Windows machines.

Why are you so angry?

I've criticised their use of poorly selected flash ads for the last 12 - 18 months. Originally they slowed machines down, lately they've infected them.

But I'll also point out when people make knee-jerk reactions and wrongly accuse DS of 'infecting them'. The other posts in this thread clearly show that Avira is to blame, so there was no need for someone to chirp in at the end and blame DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if there's a thread alreay on here....I'm online with no antivirus or firewall - just d/loaded some again

Got a virus/trojan today it was some sort of XP alert with a control centre like popup, telling me all sorts of stuff. Ran SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and it found it, so I removed it.

Now all my antispyware programmes have gone (as it appears have all my other programmes) and none of my programmes (like word) will open. I get the box asking me what programme I'd like to open it with.

I cannot get into my control box safety center. I get the message C\:WINDOWS\system\rundl32.exe

any help or advice would be apprecited :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesLook wrote: »

Why are you so angry?

as long as you're sensible and don't grant access to any anonymous file trying to execute your machine, you should not get infected. yes, some ads on DS may have turned out to be point to dodgy files but ultimately you only got infected if you ran the thing and gave it permission to turn your machine into a virus biohazard!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuk wrote: »
    Sorry if there's a thread alreay on here....I'm online with no antivirus or firewall - just d/loaded some again

Got a virus/trojan today it was some sort of XP alert with a control centre like popup, telling me all sorts of stuff. Ran SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and it found it, so I removed it.

Now all my antispyware programmes have gone (as it appears have all my other programmes) and none of my programmes (like word) will open. I get the box asking me what programme I'd like to open it with.

I cannot get into my control box safety center. I get the message C\:WINDOWS\system\rundl32.exe

any help or advice would be apprecited :confused:

see this thread - theres a lot of info from about page 5 onwards on removing malware

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1215029
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    I've criticised their use of poorly selected flash ads for the last 12 - 18 months. Originally they slowed machines down, lately they've infected them.

But I'll also point out when people make knee-jerk reactions and wrongly accuse DS of 'infecting them'. The other posts in this thread clearly show that Avira is to blame, so there was no need for someone to chirp in at the end and blame DS.

^
    Agreed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    as long as you're sensible and don't grant access to any anonymous file trying to execute your machine, you should not get infected. yes, some ads on DS may have turned out to be point to dodgy files but ultimately you only got infected if you ran the thing and gave it permission to turn your machine into a virus biohazard!

^ agreed again, and more so for Vista/W7 users.

If you're daft enough to turn UAC off because it annoys you, then something gets on to your PC in the background, you can't really be surprised can you?.