The One Show 1.5.12

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
Forum Member
Oh My Goodness. The footage of that lion just brought tears to my eyes. Shame Ricky Gervais looks so miserable!

Comments

• owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    katetow wrote: »
    Oh My Goodness. The footage of that lion just brought tears to my eyes. Shame Ricky Gervais looks so miserable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqouVL0AiQ

There's masses about him on youtube katetow.

I passed Sophistocat one NYE and saw him sitting in the window. He loved to watch the passers-by.
  • ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing footage of the lion, very moving.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how many times has it been shown, on similar programmes and in a dedicated documentary?
    The lion was presumed dead years ago.
    Was there anything new?
  • Cade FosterCade Foster Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    katetow wrote: »

To be honest he looked pretty disgusted with it and from what he said was disgusted with it.

I can see where he was coming from thst people should never have been or should be able to purchase animals like that.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is you can never tell if Ricky Gervais is being serious or not but he did seem to be annoyed. I was surprised with Ricky.. normally he prats around a lot but he seemed quite well controlled tonight and a normal guest.

Hope the BBC have Michael Johnson on board for the olympics coverage.
    Forum Member
    But how many times has it been shown, on similar programmes and in a dedicated documentary?
    Was there anything new?

No. I never tire of seeing Christian but if there was a relevance to tonight's programme it went over my head.
    To be honest he looked pretty disgusted with it and from what he said was disgusted with it.

I can see where he was coming from thst people should never have been or should be able to purchase animals like that.

Yes, totally agree but things were so different then. Harrods used to advertise that even if you wanted an elephant they could get you one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqouVL0AiQ

There's masses about him on youtube katetow.

I passed Sophistocat one NYE and saw him sitting in the window. He loved to watch the passers-by.

Thanks. I didn't see the start so don't know why they were showing it, but it was amazing.
  • ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there anything new?
    I hadn't being awareof this,as i am sure others hadn't either, also i don't think anyone was endorsing what Harrods did in 1969, that goes without saying,but the footage of the lion meeting the men was moving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I hadn't seen anything about this before either, and wasn't even aware that animals were sold like that in the 60s. Ricky Gervais seems to be really temperamental, as if you never know whether he's going to be his funny self or his moody self. As far as I was aware, from the little I saw of the programme, it was celebrating the bond humans and animals have and about imprinting. Ricky, however, seemed to totally ignore that and go off on his own little moody rant. Perhaps he wasn't aware that it is now illegal....
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is you can never tell if Ricky Gervais is being serious or not but he did seem to be annoyed

He would have been serious in this instance, as he's very passionate when it comes to animals and animal cruelty.

He had a bit of an impromptu outburst about horse racing whilst he was doing a phone interview on Richard Bacon's 5live show recently when they were broadcasting from Aintree before The Grand National. As it turned it, you could say his point was very relevant after two horses died as a result of the race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I never tire of seeing Christian but if there was a relevance to tonight's programme it went over my head.

Yes, totally agree but things were so different then. Harrods used to advertise that even if you wanted an elephant they could get you one.

There was one clip of Christian on Youtube with a few million hits. So a lot of people have seen it.

We used to occasionally look round Harrods pet department at lunch time when I was working in Knightsbridge.
    This would be around the time they bought Christian, it was like a "proper" zoo, the number of exotic creatures they had in there.

We got the "stock answer" to the question; "Have you got any elephants?"
    Forum Member
    There was one clip of Christian on Youtube with a few million hits. So a lot of people have seen it.

We used to occasionally look round Harrods pet department at lunch time when I was working in Knightsbridge.
    This would be around the time they bought Christian, it was like a "proper" zoo, the number of exotic creatures they had in there.

We got the "stock answer" to the question; "Have you got any elephants?"

There are loads of clips now Doghouse.

I often used to go to the ''zoo'' at Harrods. I seem to remember we were encouraged to call it Harrods' zoo rather than Pet Department. Sad to recall now but we didn't know better.

ETA. My original point of replying to Katetow was that if she and others had never heard of Christian they wouldn't know to look for him on youtube.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see The One Show but saw a documentary about Christian some time back. Must admit I thought the two lads were a bit mad (after all they lived in a flat for Gods sake!) and people still do silly things like this even now, though not with lion cubs because you wouldn't be able to.

However they did the right thing by releasing it and yes it is a very moving and touching story. Quite amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads of clips now Doghouse.

I often used to go to the ''zoo'' at Harrods. I seem to remember we were encouraged to call it Harrods' zoo rather than Pet Department. Sad to recall now but we didn't know better.

ETA. My original point of replying to Katetow was that if she and others had never heard of Christian they wouldn't know to look for him on youtube.

I seem to remember Harrods "zoo" was staffed by some very "debby" young ladies.

Digressing, Harrods was very much a leader in all things new.

It was in the "audio department" where I first heard an Ampex stereo reel-to-reel tape recorder, the type used at the time to record many of the classic jazz records, but there offered for "home use."

The also had a big TV in a dedicated room, where a couple of dozen men some in bowler hats hats and with their umbrellas would stand quietly watching the test match in their lunch hour..
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Didn't see The One Show but saw a documentary about Christian some time back. Must admit I thought the two lads were a bit mad (after all they lived in a flat for Gods sake!) and people still do silly things like this even now, though not with lion cubs because you wouldn't be able to.

However they did the right thing by releasing it and yes it is a very moving and touching story. Quite amazing.

There was nothing on The One Show in this segment that was new Bulletguy. They'd been talking to Ricky Gervais about film animation and plugging his upcoming show, Suddenly there was Giles Brandreth taking us back.

I'm happy that they did if it brings the story to a new audience. Don't forget that although those guys lived in a flat Christian had the ground-floor shop to roam so he was never cooped up in a cage as he had been in Harrods which is why their heartsrings were tugged and they bought him in the first place.

Their hearts were always in the right place as to his welfare and as you say, an amazing story.
    Forum Member
    Also, as Virginia McKenna said when they were preparing to take Christian to Africa, ''If he only lives for a year as a wild lion it's better than living for the rest of his life in a zoo''.

As it happens he fought and found his place which is why the re-union was so special.
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember Harrods "zoo" was staffed by some very "debby" young ladies.

Digressing, Harrods was very much a leader in all things new.

It was in the "audio department" where I first heard an Ampex stereo reel-to-reel tape recorder, the type used at the time to record many of the classic jazz records, but there offered for "home use."

The also had a big TV in a dedicated room, where a couple of dozen men some in bowler hats hats and with their umbrellas would stand quietly watching the test match in their lunch hour..

I remember the ''audio department'' so clearly because you walked through it to get to the zoo. It was like another planet to me - I was a 19 year old ''dollybird'' just moved to London and left my ''dansette'' at home. TV in rented flat from 'Radio Rentals'. I intended to be out every night, why would audio equipment ever interest me? :D

It was strangely hushed and intense in there (especially considering which department it was) full of the atmosphere of money and men who had it to spend and knew what they were examining.

I was always torn between lingering around to see what it was all about and getting to the animals.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    maybe ricky just found giles brandreth annoying lord knows i do