Options

Press Gang

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I never watched it as I am too young but I am watching the episode airing now and it looks really good. I wish they made programmes like this now for kids instead of shying away from anything that isnt a cartoon.

Comments

• Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda Day is one of the best female characters ever written and performed but the whole ensemble were fantastic. Colin is my favourite character overall. This weekend has inspired me to get my DVDs out and watch the entire series from start to finish. I've not done that in ages.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have it on DVD not VHS?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm old enough to have seen it the first time around and I loved it (and was in love with Linda). It was a show which launched many of the cast who went on to adult acting careers.

I'm not sure what happened to the writer though and if he has done anything decent since. Steven something.... ;)

Available from Amazon on DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Press-Gang-The-Complete-Series/dp/B001KY2QDO/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need to buy the box set of the complete series. A show that should have been repeated on ITV3 instead of more Heartbeat.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still amazing and that ending is still as frustrating!

The quality of the show would stand up against some prime time drama today.

Really was a top notch tv show.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks very dated these days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks very dated these days

Do you have nothing better to do than whinge about the past if you hate it.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

I wouldn't get the irrit, there are some dull old 'acts' been hawked around here, best ignored IMO.
    I'm bored reading it, how they're not bored writing it, I don't know.

Anyway we've done this one before, yet another who fancied Linda, end of very long queue...
    I wouldn't want to revisit the series though, best left a warm and slightly fuzzy memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get the irrit, there are some dull old 'acts' been hawked around here, best ignored IMO.
    I'm bored reading it, how they're not bored writing it, I don't know.

I guess maybe he never had parties when he was young. Thats probably why he acts that way. Nothing wrong with celebrating a Birthday on TV of stuff that aint been shown in years.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I've just watched it having recorded it from earlier. Great show - real attention to detail and good production values. Such a shame they don't make this kind of drama that teenagers and parents could watch together anymore, but I suppose the audience just isn't there for many reasons that I won't go into here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm old enough to have seen it the first time around and I loved it (and was in love with Linda). It was a show which launched many of the cast who went on to adult acting careers.

I'm not sure what happened to the writer though and if he has done anything decent since. Steven something.... ;)

Available from Amazon on DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Press-Gang-The-Complete-Series/dp/B001KY2QDO/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0

Or get it from Network for £14 in their more than CiTV sale....

http://www.networkdvd.net
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    little ern wrote: »
    Or get it from Network for £14 in their more than CiTV sale....

http://www.networkdvd.net

are they reliable? never heard of them before
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    are they reliable? never heard of them before

They're a mainstream DVD distributor of many classic tv shows who work with the likes of ITV. With them, you're buying direct rather than via another retailer.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe Dexter Fletcher is like 50 now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're a mainstream DVD distributor of many classic tv shows who work with the likes of ITV. With them, you're buying direct rather than via another retailer.

ahh right thanks :)
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I watched this on DVD recently and was amazed that for something labelled "a kid's show" how witty the dialogue was, and how intricate the plots were, with twists that a grown adult wouldn't see coming.

Also a character who is a despicable woman with no morals and little feelings for anybody but herself - not the villain of the show but the main hero! It's just such a unique show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh yeah sorry, i forgot if my opinion is different its not allowed :rolleyes:, FYI i don;t hate i use to love it but to me it looks very dated theses days :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh yeah sorry, i forgot if my opinion is different its not allowed :rolleyes:, FYI i don;t hate i use to love it but to me it looks very dated theses days :rolleyes:

Well they are wearing 80s clothes, have 80s haircuts and are using typewriters so obviously it looks dated.

Doesn't really affect the sharp plots and witty dialogue though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know, thats what i meant , but thanks for dissecting my post, i think people would of struggled to understand the word dated :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i know, thats what i meant , but thanks for dissecting my post, i think people would of struggled to understand the word dated :)

Or, indeed, struggled to understand why a TV show looking dated means you no longer like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes because you clearly dont like it. You say Used to but not now. Couldnt you have kept it to yourself instead of trying to hijack my thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because you clearly dont like it. You say Used to but not now. Couldnt you have kept it to yourself instead of trying to hijack my thread!

yes of course,you're absolutely right next time i will ask if its ok to post in ''your'' ;) thread in the future and let you preview my post before i post it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Well they are wearing 80s clothes, have 80s haircuts and are using typewriters so obviously it looks dated.

Doesn't really affect the sharp plots and witty dialogue though.

Shocking that's it's not in HD and widescreen!
  • Options
    SamsMamSamsMam Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Press Gang was brilliant television. I remember at the time of watching it when I was a young teenager, thinking that it was really clever. Of course I also enjoyed it as I had a big crush on Linda.

For those that have it on dvd, Is it best left as a fond memory or is it still as good watching it again?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show's good enough to get a run on ITV3, let alone the CITV Channel. It's very mature and grown up.