Whatever the result, Scots have long memories....

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
.....and Asda, Sainsbury's, RBS and Standard Life......you will want our custom still, good luck with that! I for one will be voting with my feet.

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Are you walking to England then?
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Are you walking to England then?

That's funny, I'll give you that :)
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting ready to throw your toys out of the pram then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not stopping in Scotland, they're just moving bases to the UK (which will mean less jobs and higher prices in Scotland)
    Forum Member
    They're not stopping in Scotland, they're just moving bases to the UK (which will mean less jobs and higher prices in Scotland)

Wrong on more than one level
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And how's that exactly?
    Forum Member
    And how's that exactly?

Well they said they are moving to England, NOT the UK no matter how much a lot of English people like to think they ARE the UK. Also, RBS have stated that there will be no job losses in Scotland. Any job losses with the others will be absorbed with the benefits we can reap from independence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they said they are moving to England, NOT the UK no matter how much a lot of English people like to think they ARE the UK. Also, RBS have stated that there will be no job losses in Scotland. Any job losses with the others will be absorbed with the benefits we can reap from independence.

Some businesses might move to Wales or Northern Ireland, it hasn't haven't happened yet so we don't know yet.

And you poor brainwashed soul...
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,507
    Forum Member

England is and will remain part of the UK, which will either way continue to exist. Scotland would not (in the above scenario) be part of the UK. So whatever their statements say, the firms mentioned would in fact be moving HQs from Scotland (back to) to the UK, how is that hard to understand? They could move to England, Wales or Northern Ireland but would probably end up in London like all the rest, grrr.
    Forum Member

So they said England, either way it's the same - they could have said Cardiff or anywhere else that isn't in Scotland but in the UK, it will still be the UK.

I've said here before that I'm not fussed either way but that was forgetting the chip some of you Scots have and especially over petty things like that.

My swingometer has moved from center and has nearly gone past the 'sorry to see you go' pointer - the next one says 'good riddance'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When Salmond can't answer a question on currency union that has ben denied.

He thinks he can just bluster into independance without a clue and a certainty he can get a currency union, how, I don't know:confused:
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which if I was Scottish would make me not want to use them?

Doesn't seem very loyal to Scotland does it?

I don't even understand how the 'Royal Bank of Scotland' could move to London and not be an enormous joke. Royal Bank of The Spineless? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Which if I was Scottish would make me not want to use them?

Doesn't seem very loyal to Scotland does it?

I don't even understand how the 'Royal Bank of Scotland' could move to London and not be an enormous joke. Royal Bank of The Spineless? :confused:

What the hell would a business do if it didn't know what currency they were going to use.

Seems more loyal to it's customers to move to a stable currency.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I forget. What are the benefits of an independent Scotland. Y'know, apart from liberation from us nasty ol' London-centric Germanic English imperialists?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    What the hell would a business do if it didn't know what currency they were going to use.

Seems more loyal to it's customers to move to a stable currency.

Don't believe all the nonsense in the news.

If Scotland becomes independent it's pretty hard to conceive it using anything other than pound sterling.

That's not even me being optimistic - if I was RBS I'd be more worried about the EU thing than the currency. Seriously, they'll remain using the pound.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't believe all the nonsense in the news.

If Scotland becomes independent it's pretty hard to conceive it using anything other than pound sterling.

That's not even me being optimistic - if I was RBS I'd be more worried about the EU thing than the currency. Seriously, they'll remain using the pound.

They can't use the sterling without a currency union. No way would the be able to use the Euro.
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I forget. What are the benefits of an independent Scotland. Y'know, apart from liberation from us nasty ol' London-centric Germanic English imperialists?

All night Jimmy Shand raves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't use the sterling without a currency union. No way would the be able to use the Euro.

Of course they can, bits of bleedin' Zimbabwe sometimes use the pound, and the Euro, and anything else they can get their hands on :D

But that aside, it would be strongly in the UK's best interest to just get it over and done with and sign a currency union for convenience, therefore they probably would.

The Euro thing is an interesting one. If (bit of a big if) they are allowed back into the EU quickly Scotland may have to negotiate an opt-out or be forced to gradually adopt the Euro as per all of the other European countries without a permanent opt-out.

So long term Scotland could adopt the Euro but I would have thought Salmond would fight vigorously to prevent that being required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they can, bits of bleedin' Zimbabwe sometimes use the pound, and the Euro, and anything else they can get their hands on :D

But that aside, it would be strongly in the UK's best interest to just get it over and done with and sign a currency union for convenience, therefore they probably would.

The Euro thing is an interesting one. If (bit of a big if) they are allowed in the EU Scotland may have to negotiate an opt-out or be forced to gradually adopt the Euro as per all of the other European countries without a permanent opt-out.

Why would the rest of UK support Scotland if they have independance:confused:

They won't join the EU anytime soon, to many countries will veto it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would the rest of UK support Scotland if they have independance:confused:

You would presume that Westminster wouldn't be belligerent or vindictive enough to damage the estimated £50bn~ a year in trade that would still occur between Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom.

We'd be big trading partners, and still connected by the monarchy and so forth.

I just don't think the UK would adopt a position of treating Scotland as if it's a Western North Korea, long term it wouldn't be a very productive rhetoric.

Dealing and negotiating with the European Union would be the thing I'd have far less certainty over. Spain just wont allow Scotland membership without a fight.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that will be a reality which doesn't seem to have been properly explained. One canny elderly Scots woman on Channel 4 News last night put it more bluntly...."it's all well and good promising low taxes, cheap this, cheap that, pensions forever etc.....but the money to pay for all this has to come from somewhere and Alex Salmond hasn't fully explained this."
    Forum Member

The Euro thing is an interesting one. If (bit of a big if) they are allowed back into the EU quickly Scotland may have to negotiate an opt-out or be forced to gradually adopt the Euro as per all of the other European countries without a permanent opt-out.

So long term Scotland could adopt the Euro but I would have thought Salmond would fight vigorously to prevent that being required.

I think it's a condition that new member states, which Scotland would be, have to join the Euro/single currency - there's no getout.
    Forum Member
    You would presume that Westminster wouldn't be belligerent or vindictive enough to damage the estimated £50bn~ a year in trade that would still occur between Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom.

We'd be big trading partners, and still connected by the monarchy and so forth.

I just don't think the UK would adopt a position of treating Scotland as if it's a Western North Korea, long term it wouldn't be a very productive rhetoric.

Dealing and negotiating with the European Union would be the thing I'd have far less certainty over. Spain just wont allow Scotland membership without a fight.

I think all that could change with Scotland being a non EU country, tarrifs may be applied to anything we buy from them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a condition that new member states, which Scotland would be, have to join the Euro/single currency - there's no getout.

Well, precisely.

But the more fundamental problem is whether an independent Scotland would be allowed in the club in the first place, even it agreed to adopt the Euro.

Given the awkwardly long time scales involved here we can probably assume pound sterling is safe in Scotland for a good few years to come post independence.

That said, of course Denmark, Sweden and The UK all successfully negotiated permanent Euro opt-outs, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility Salmond could negotiate a similar deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all that could change with Scotland being a non EU country, tarrifs may be applied to anything we buy from them.

We trade a lot with non-EU countries. Given cultural and legacy trade links, as well as geographical proximity I don't think either side would lose too much.