Google Chrome New Tab Problem

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone help with the following:

I've had to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it again, but I can't change the new tab when I start Chrome.

I've already tried to change it via settings, but that didn't work.

I also have a padlock on the left hand side of the address bar.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with the following:

I've had to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it again, but I can't change the new tab when I start Chrome.

I've already tried to change it via settings, but that didn't work.

I also have a padlock on the left hand side of the address bar.

Can anyone help?

The padlock is there to indicate that any information you send to the web site is encrypted,,,, Many websites use it to ensure you're safe from hackers trying to view your data. It's normal and nothing to worry about

Not sure what you mean by 'changing the new tab'? When you create a new tab, it isn't opening on the page you expect it to? Or you can't get the tab to navigate to a different site?
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    The padlock is there to indicate that any information you send to the web site is encrypted,,,, Many websites use it to ensure you're safe from hackers trying to view your data. It's normal and nothing to worry about

Not sure what you mean by 'changing the new tab'? When you create a new tab, it isn't opening on the page you expect it to? Or you can't get the tab to navigate to a different site?

The padlock thing hasn't happened before, it only appears on Google.

Changing the New Tab means that I'm trying to set my homepage to Google, but when I start Chrome, the new tab is there and not the homepage.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The padlock thing hasn't happened before, it only appears on Google.

Changing the New Tab means that I'm trying to set my homepage to Google, but when I start Chrome, the new tab is there and not the homepage.

The padlock also will appear if you go to logon to Twitter or Facebook as well.. its there to keep your login details secure.

The new tab thing.. so you've set the "On Start Up" option to "Open a specific page" pointing to Google? And when you close down Chrome and then start it up again, it's not going to Google....? What's doing instead? Did it used to work?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have Chrome already running in the background then open a new window, it will use the new tab page rather than your homepage. This can also happen if you close Chrome then immediately reopen it, as the chrome.exe process hasn't had time to end.

Make sure any Chrome windows are closed then open it and see if your chosen homepage appears?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always worked for me (on many PCs) following this info
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95314

In any event if you 'sign in' to Chrome everything is synced and no matter how many times you re-install Chrome on the same (or different PCs) your settings will be there when you sign in.
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    The padlock also will appear if you go to logon to Twitter or Facebook as well.. its there to keep your login details secure.

The new tab thing.. so you've set the "On Start Up" option to "Open a specific page" pointing to Google? And when you close down Chrome and then start it up again, it's not going to Google....? What's doing instead? Did it used to work?

It's doing the same thing.

It used to work before, but not now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have Chrome already running in the background then open a new window, it will use the new tab page rather than your homepage. This can also happen if you close Chrome then immediately reopen it, as the chrome.exe process hasn't had time to end.

Make sure any Chrome windows are closed then open it and see if your chosen homepage appears?

Nope, still the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    It's always worked for me (on many PCs) following this info
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95314

In any event if you 'sign in' to Chrome everything is synced and no matter how many times you re-install Chrome on the same (or different PCs) your settings will be there when you sign in.
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165139

I've already tried what is in the link more than once and it still does not work.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already tried what is in the link more than once and it still does not work.

This might sound stupid, but is "Open a specific page or set of pages" selected? It doesn't automatically select when you click "Set pages".

Also note that setting a homepage for the Home button is a different thing to setting Chrome to open a homepage instead of new tab page, make sure you're doing the right one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might sound stupid, but is "Open a specific page or set of pages" selected? It doesn't automatically select when you click "Set pages".

Also note that setting a homepage for the Home button is a different thing to setting Chrome to open a homepage instead of new tab page, make sure you're doing the right one.

OK, here is what is happening:

Everytime I click the "Open a specific page or set of pages" thing to set the homepage on startup, I then exit Chrome completely and then relaunch it, but it doesn't automatically show up, the only thing that shows up is the new tab page.