Options

A thread for the neutrals...

Comments

• Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a joke in there somewhere about City being more used to empty seats and lack of atmosphere than CSKA, but I'm not going to do it cos that would be juvenile and immature....

;)
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    I bet the tabloids have been waiting for a story like this to crop after all the fuss over Sterling being rested for the England game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2802386/raheem-sterling-partied-london-3am-just-day-missing-england-win-estonia-tiredness.html
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodgson is a moron and weak. He should have said it was his decision not to play Sterling and that's the end of it. Instead, he is so weak that he has to explain that the players in his squad make the decisions if and when to play. But I don't understand what the English press have to gain by trying to ruin England's only hope of doing well in an international tournament in the near future? Why this obsession with trying to portray Sterling in a bad light?
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodgson is neither a moron nor weak. He's committed the crime of listening to and respecting the judgement of his players, and a shit rag has made a giant mountain out of the molehill as they always do (fantastically in this case equated physical fatigue with 'needs to go to bed at 7pm') to enrage their pig-thick readership.

Has Ian Wright chimed in about it yet? He must be putting Sterling in contact with soldiers' wives at a rapid rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Hodgson is neither a moron nor weak. He's committed the crime of listening to and respecting the judgement of his players, and a shit rag has made a giant mountain out of the molehill as they always do (fantastically in this case equated physical fatigue with 'needs to go to bed at 7pm') to enrage their pig-thick readership.

He didn't have to tell the press what Sterling had said. It's not compulsory to tell the press everything. Hodgson is experienced enough to know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, because the English media would be perfectly content with 'I decided not to play him' with no truthful reason. They're rational and understanding like that.

People shouldn't have to lie to avoid the knee-jerk reaction of idiots frothing at the mouth. Nothing that happened with England is unreasonable in any way apart from the spin applied to create clickbait and angry headlines, because Lord knows the disappointment of a 100% qualifying record so far means they need something to rage about.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree media blew it out of control and liverpool hating fans took it to next level

but i also think hodgson should have kept that discussion to himself.

as for city, another dissapointing result,but they are not a million miles away from where they need to be in my opinion, match vs roma at etihad will be huge. i expect them to destroy moscow in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i agree media blew it out of control and liverpool hating fans took it to next level

but i also think hodgson should have kept that discussion to himself.

as for city, another dissapointing result,but they are not a million miles away from where they need to be in my opinion, match vs roma at etihad will be huge. i expect them to destroy moscow in a few weeks.

Aren't they playing in Rome?
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the anti England and anti Hodgson stuff as well but he clearly could of dealt with it better. Simply saying I wanted to use Sterling as an impact sub when Estonia got tired would of satisfied the press.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sterling said he was too tired to train, not too tired to play. Why are the media still saying the opposite? The amount of headlines they've squeezed out of this non issue is unbelievable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/9528891/The-Page-That-Has-Always-Liked-Phil-Babb
    The pièce de résistance of the hatchet job comes in the form of the Mail's photo of Raheem 'clubbing'. It's taken from cricketer Chris Gayle's Instagram feed and shows Sterling in a club in Jamaica, not London.

I'm not sure even Dundeeboy has it in for England as much as these outlets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't understand why they are doing it? Just like I couldn't understand what the press had to gain by (successfully) trying to get Gazza out of the England squad all those years ago in 1998. Don't they ever want England to do well in an international tournament?
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I just don't understand why they are doing it? Just like I couldn't understand what the press had to gain by (successfully) trying to get Gazza out of the England squad all those years ago in 1998. Don't they ever want England to do well in an international tournament?

Isn't it obvious?

They'll peddle whatever crap sells their comics.

I'm just astonished that anyone buys them.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't they playing in Rome?

yeah my mistake, that game is key.

i hope they do it as i want inter milan to win europa league and man city would make things alot harder!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These newspapers exists to rabble-rouse. Either stunning glory or disgraceful disgrace fuels their rhetoric, and moaning is more likely than celebrating when it comes to England. Of course, were England to ever do well the same newspapers undermining them at every turn would be at the front of the line with the cheerleading.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean most PL teams look poor compared to German/Spanish teams and the strongest German/Spanish teams are in a league of their own.

Only Bayern look spectacular from the Bundesliga. Dortmund are inexplicably shite currently, and we hammered Wolfsburg.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really looking forward to the games tonight.

lets hope there are lots of goals!
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its like watching a professional outfit against a sunday pub side . massively out of their depth.

Cracking quote from Jamie redknapp earlier about Balotelli " acts like a genius but doesn't play like one"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Bayern look spectacular from the Bundesliga. Dortmund are inexplicably shite currently, and we hammered Wolfsburg.

Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer are all shite apparently, but only against Bundesliga sides. Against the best teams in Europe they look pretty good.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i agree media blew it out of control and liverpool hating fans took it to next level..
    Seems to be the anti Hodgson lot to me. I don't think any of us give a stuff. We let Hodgson and Rodgers pick their teams.

But what did get my goat up was the removal of players from that last U21 tournament. And a once good England U21 then flopped.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Balotelli inhibits himself.
    I see Gerard trying good to encourage him but it really needs a 'light bulb moment' for the guy.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just Balotelli that needs encouraging, the team as a whole look a mere shadow of their former self. Gerrard and Sterling weren't exactly playing out of their skins either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just Balotelli that needs encouraging, the team as a whole look a mere shadow of their former self. Gerrard and Sterling weren't exactly playing out of their skins either.

It's the Suarez syndrome.

Do people not remember Uruguay with and without Suarez? Like two different teams.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer are all shite apparently, but only against Bundesliga sides. Against the best teams in Europe they look pretty good.

Apart from 1 match against Chelsea, they haven't played the best teams in Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from 1 match against Chelsea, they haven't played the best teams in Europe.

Well, I don't expect them to win against Real Madrid or Barcelona or even Atletico Madrid, but I'd fancy the German teams' chances against Liverpool, ManCity and Arsenal (as Dortmund already demonstrated). I'm not saying they are world beaters, but the Bundesliga is not as weak as people claim just because there is one super team, just like La Liga is not weaker than the PL because Real and Barcelona are on another planet.
This discussion has been closed.