Active / Passive 3D

Just been looking at 3D systems and am unsure of Active or Passive.

Which platform (if any) requires you to be directly facing the TV to get the best picture. Whilst in my local TV centre the guy said you didn't have to be directly in line with an Active set to get the best effect whereas with passive you needed to be as best as you can in front of it and not off to one side?

Now, I may be talking hoop but its something that has stuck in my mind.

Ta.

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passive can be watched from any horizontal angle, but you need to be in line with the screen vertically (i.e as near to eye level. half way up screen).

LG gives up to seven pairs of glasses and we've had six watching at once with no problems.

Active, needs to be as near as straight on as possible.

Many stores push active as they make more money selling expensive glasses.

LG Cinema 3D is IMO the best. I bought my second one recently.

Here's a good LG sales demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOFCRuWN5kg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought an LG passive 3D set which will be arriving on Saturday. I really wanted to stick with Panasonic but they are not doing the exact model that I wanted. Anyway, from demos in store, passive sets lose their 3D if you're out of the vertical plane, for example standing up in front of the set if it's at stomach height and looking down on it. But for normal viewing positions it's perfectly fine, and the salesman is wrong when he said you have to be careful horizontally. I didn't test out the active sets very much, I just can't handle the flicker. You lose half the vertical resolution in 3D mode on a passive set and if you look closely you can see horizontal lines, but again for normal viewing it is not noticeable and the picture is still fantastic. It's far more acceptable to me at any rate than the flickering.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I bought a passive 3D set last year. If you're not particularly picky about picture quality, resolution, bit rate and all that gubbins then it's perfectly fine. I've watched a few 3D films since I got it and the 3D effect works very well, even when i'm fidgeting about on the settee and moving here and there.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the glasses make passive a no brainer.

waiting for the TVs to come down a bit, although I bought a 24" LG I saw cheap fora PC monitor/ occasional 3D screen, and I was amazed how good it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I have a lg active plasma and also have a lg passive TV and i can say the passive set is the better and the glasses for the passive are so cheap. the glasses for the active set was £70 when i got the set 18 months ago.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the glasses make passive a no brainer.

Very true - I got 4 pairs with mine and I also found the Real3D glasses you get at the cinema work just as well, and i've got 3 pairs of those in a drawer somewhere as well. So pretty sorted if i wanted a 3D viewing party .. heh :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought an LG passive 3D set which will be arriving on Saturday. I really wanted to stick with Panasonic but they are not doing the exact model that I wanted. Anyway, from demos in store, passive sets lose their 3D if you're out of the vertical plane, for example standing up in front of the set if it's at stomach height and looking down on it. But for normal viewing positions it's perfectly fine, and the salesman is wrong when he said you have to be careful horizontally. I didn't test out the active sets very much, I just can't handle the flicker. You lose half the vertical resolution in 3D mode on a passive set and if you look closely you can see horizontal lines, but again for normal viewing it is not noticeable and the picture is still fantastic. It's far more acceptable to me at any rate than the flickering.
    For what it's worth, I bought a passive 3D set last year. If you're not particularly picky about picture quality, resolution, bit rate and all that gubbins then it's perfectly fine. I've watched a few 3D films since I got it and the 3D effect works very well, even when i'm fidgeting about on the settee and moving here and there.

The LG is fantastic. i rely mainly on Sky for 3D, but the other day I popped into Blockbuster who are having a closing down sale and bought the Hugo 3D blu-ray for £7.

The disc has both 2D and 3D and the clarity and definition is equal. I even tested certain scenes with fine detail (eg newspaper headlines on news stands) and they were the same.

The LG Cinema 3D sets are stunning. Shame the likes of Currys and John Lewis and even Which? push active so much.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Active 3D has the better viewing angle and higher resolution.

Passive 3D has cheaper glasses, no batteries/charging and no flicker. It's simply easier to use.

Depends which is more important to you.
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your comments people. I have today purchased an LG55LM760T and wow!! Very impressed.

Just got to figure out the best picture settings now!! If anybody has any tips then please post!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments people. I have today purchased an LG55LM760T and wow!! Very impressed.

Just got to figure out the best picture settings now!! If anybody has any tips then please post!!

I use these, which were done by someone with the Disney WOW calibration blu-ray. I downloaded some calibration files and made a couple of adjustments.

Setting Expert 1 isf
    Backlight 35
    Brightness 52 (I changed to 56)
    H Sharp. 0
    V Sharp 0
    Contrast 97 (I changed to 90)
    Colour 49
    Tint R2

Expert Control
    Dynamic Con Off
    Super Res. On
    Colour Gam BT709
    Edge Enh. Off
    Colour Fil. Off
    Expert Pattern Grayed Out
    Gamma 2.2

White Balance
    Colour Temp Medium
    Method 20 Point IRE
    Pattern Outer
    IRE 100
    Luminance 130
    Red 0
    Green 0
    Blue 0

Colour Management
    Green S-10,T0,L13
    Blue S1,T0,L20
    Magenta S-5,T0,L10
    Yellow S-10,T0,L0
    Red S10,T20,L0 (I changed to 5, 0, 0)
    Cyan S0 T0 L0
    Picture Options
    Noise Red Off
    Mpeg Noise OFF
    Black Lev. Low
    Real Cin Off (On for Bluray)
    Eyecare Off
    TruMotion Off (I use user 2)

My set is a 47" LM640T.

If you want to see some stunning 3D, go to 3D World, documentaries and look for Insects Talk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Active 3D has the better viewing angle and higher resolution.
    Next, while tackling the topic of whether FPR’s “half-resolution” passive 3D provides lower-quality imagery than active 3D, Soneira discovered a surprising result: despite using “just” 540 horizontal lines for each eye, passive 3D still provided “full 1080p” resolution — and better yet, rather unintuitively, passive 3D produces sharper images than active 3D. Soneira gives a complex explanation for why this is so, but it basically boils down to a neurological process called image fusion, or, in other words, “active 3D TVs might sound like they have higher specs, but in practical use, our brains prefer passive 3D.”

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, passive TVs have much better 3D imaging and crosstalk (left/right image separation) characteristics. Using a newfangled statistic called crosstalk ratio, measured using a spectroradiometer, Soneira highlights the baseline 3D imaging quality — passive TVs are about four times better than active TVs — and the swan dive that active 3D takes when you introduce any kind of not-dead-center viewing angle. With passive FPR 3D, you get sharper visuals, a better sense of depth, and, because of the reduced crosstalk, far less brain strain.

Are there any instances when an active-shutter 3D TV is preferable, then? No — and if we take into the account the variety, flexibility (clip-on!), and low cost of passive TV glasses, opting for an active 3D TV really does seem foolish. Both active and passive 3D TVs cost around the same amount, too.

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/94979-why-you-should-buy-a-passive-3d-tv
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a LG 47" passive 3DTV and its brilliant. Came with 8 pairs of glasses.

Get "Despicable Me", its a must buy 3D bluray.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a LG 47" passive 3DTV and its brilliant. Came with 8 pairs of glasses.

Get "Despicable Me", its a must buy 3D bluray.

Me too.
    See also "Finding Nemo", "Hugo" and "Dark Country".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

I have no interest in starting some crazy fan-boy war with you, but good grief, there's some rubbish in there.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    If you're serious ... Active

If you're just wanting 3D... Passive.

Active is the better system and bullshit aside from those who do LGs dirty work and talk active down it has THE Full HD 3D experience .

Passive gets messy off angle.. Full of crosstalk, reduced resolution and IMO the 3D always looks forced and unnatural.

Passive is great for families and watching during the day but serious film watchers who care about quality should not only look at closer to reference level Plasma but also Active 3D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    The LG Cinema 3D sets are stunning. Shame the likes of Currys and John Lewis and even Which? push active so much.

This forum needs a Like button!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    If you're serious ... Active

If you're just wanting 3D... Passive.

Active is the better system and bullshit aside from those who do LGs dirty work and talk active down it has THE Full HD 3D experience .

Passive gets messy off angle.. Full of crosstalk, reduced resolution and IMO the 3D always looks forced and unnatural.

Passive is great for families and watching during the day but serious film watchers who care about quality should not only look at closer to reference level Plasma but also Active 3D.

Actually, that's not true. Serious people use passive 3D.

Active 3D is limited to 720p due to HDMI bandwidth limitations (or it was as of 1.4, maybe there's a new revision now). You can get 1080p but only at 25Hz.

Serious gamers prefer passive because it works at the full 60Hz..

Plus, the reports I've seen say that crosstalk and viewing angles are worse with active, so I'm not sure were you got your info from.

I quite willing to be proved wrong though :)
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Actually, that's not true. Serious people use passive 3D.

Active 3D is limited to 720p due to HDMI bandwidth limitations (or it was as of 1.4, maybe there's a new revision now). You can get 1080p but only at 25Hz.

Serious gamers prefer passive because it works at the full 60Hz..

Plus, the reports I've seen say that crosstalk and viewing angles are worse with active, so I'm not sure were you got your info from.

I quite willing to be proved wrong though :)

Passive crosstalk is more common due to the off angle problems. Couple that with the lower LCD standard of picture and you just add more to the mix.

Also reference level 3D is plasma territory. Better motion resolution, contrast the lot. Due to the drive systems etc plasma uses active.

Where you got 720 from O have no idea. 3D Bluray is what a lot of people will get on a 3D TV and you get 1080 full HD.

Apart from projectors the next thing for critical viewers would be a active large screen plasma.

The LG passives look good at first but its forced and cut out looking. The motion blur and lower motion resolution coupled with the fact it's not full HD all add up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Passive crosstalk is more common due to the off angle problems. Couple that with the lower LCD standard of picture and you just add more to the mix.

Also reference level 3D is plasma territory. Better motion resolution, contrast the lot. Due to the drive systems etc plasma uses active.

Where you got 720 from O have no idea. 3D Bluray is what a lot of people will get on a 3D TV and you get 1080 full HD.

Apart from projectors the next thing for critical viewers would be a active large screen plasma.

The LG passives look good at first but its forced and cut out looking. The motion blur and lower motion resolution coupled with the fact it's not full HD all add up.
    An FPR-based implementation works at 60 Hz, so a standard HDMI cable has ample bandwidth to enable stereo content. This isn't the case with active systems, which require 120 Hz output to deliver 60 frames to each eye, each second. As a result, using HDMI 1.4, you can only get 60 frames per second at a maximum 720p resolution using shutter-based technology.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2311-gt-passive-3d-review,3242-2.html
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense :D

Active is better quality than passive, and has higher resolution - the BIG (only?) advantage of passive is the low cost of the glasses.

You pays your money and you takes your choice :D

Personal I wouldn't bother with either :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter if it's Active or Passive....3D is 3D and imo, worth having :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    Does it matter if it's Active or Passive....3D is 3D and imo, worth having :)

Depends on your point of view :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your point of view :D

I meant for those that ARE interested in 3D lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Active is better quality than passive, and has higher resolution - the BIG (only?) advantage of passive is the low cost of the glasses.

Flicker free, little or no crosstalk, wide viewing angle....

Here's another independent comparison

http://www.displaymate.com/3D_TV_ShootOut_1.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just in my local Currys, where there was a Passive 3DTV on display. As I walked past an old lady unceremoniously dumped the specs back in the tub.

"No difference" she snorted.

So I walked over, popped on a pair of glasses. The screen was just as blurred as it was without thems. So I took a few steps back. Nothing. I bent my knees to lower my height, and bingo. The 3D jumped into life.

The woman tapped me on the shoulder. ”Waste of time isn't it"

"Not really" I said, "you just have to be in the right position, like this"

She snorted and walked off, muttering to her husband.

2 things can be drawn from this. Firstly, is that 3DTVs aren't going to sell with crap in-store demos like that.

Secondly STOP WITH ALL THIS CRAP ABOUT PASSIVE HAVING BETTER VIEWING ANGLES. IT SIMPLY DOESN'T.