WTF Doctor Who is racist

Comments

• YosheeYoshee Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Just goes to show you, "academics" can still be completely stupid. Think of how much time they seem to have wasted constructing their "argument" out of thin air. How laughable. If anything, they're prejudiced against the show.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time countering every point by some people in a Mail article, but I will say that the Holocaust is far too dark for a family show like Doctor Who, and the concept of slavery was dealt with in Planet of the Ood. But just because it wasn't the black people being enslaved this seems to get ignored. Ha, I'm done.

EDIT: I'll give them some of the classic stories - Hartnell era and Weng-Chiang (sp?) for example, but calling post-2005 DW racist is ridiculous.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people who use this forum are so venemously anti Daily Mail. I just wonder why some of the realy trashy papers such as the the Sun, the Star and the Sport never seem to get hammered the way the Mail does. Or why the left wing press seem to immune to criticism. I'm not defending the paper just being curious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people who use this forum are so venemously anti Daily Mail. I just wonder why some of the realy trashy papers such as the the Sun, the Star and the Sport never seem to get hammered the way the Mail does. Or why the left wing press seem to immune to criticism. I'm not defending the paper just being curious.

Without going off on too much of a tangent, it's because the Daily Mail wants its readership to think that its position is an intelligent, articulate one. Put it another way, Sun readers and Star readers, by and large, know the quality of what they are reading.

Oh, and there's one more reason for hating the Mail. His name is Richard Littlejohns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

you should sesrch for Sun articles about ratings and who. Some of us really hate the sun
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Oh the irony. The most racist mainstream newspaper in Britain accusing a show which is clearly opposed to Racism of being Racist. Really?

No. Not in this case. They accurately reported the publication of a study by academics about one of Britain's most popular shows. They made it clear it wasn't an editorial view and included rational quotes defending the show. If anything it was supportive.

I hate the Mail. But there's no need to go nitpicking every article they ever publish. And it is true they had a major role in supporting the Lawrence prosecutions. Which doesn't excuse them their other racist etc cynicism. But was something, at least.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    No. Not in this case. They accurately reported the publication of a study by academics about one of Britain's most popular shows. They made it clear it wasn't an editorial view and included rational quotes defending the show. If anything it was supportive.

I hate the Mail. But there's no need to go nitpicking every article they ever publish. And it is true they had a major role in supporting the Lawrence prosecutions. Which doesn't excuse them their other racist etc cynicism. But was something, at least.

Agree with all of this. I have to question whether some posters in this thread actually read the article at all tbh. I've no time for the Mail at all as a rule of thumb, but on this occasion it's unfair to claim THEY are attacking the show. To me it comes across more like they are poking fun at the study more than anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Agree with all of this. I have to question whether some posters in this thread actually read the article at all tbh. I've no time for the Mail at all as a rule of thumb, but on this occasion it's unfair to claim THEY are attacking the show. To me it comes across more like they are poking fun at the study more than anything.

But this of itself is part of my gripe with the Mail. It's all about rubbishing other people, it's all about confusing opinion (and for that matter 'the free press') with what is actually newsworthy and in the public interest. Over the years, I've read he Mail plenty of times, but more recently, I've always come away depressed, because it's a paper that simply does not want to look on the bright side of anything.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this of itself is part of my gripe with the Mail. It's all about rubbishing other people, it's all about confusing opinion (and for that matter 'the free press') with what is actually newsworthy and in the public interest. Over the years, I've read he Mail plenty of times, but more recently, I've always come away depressed, because it's a paper that simply does not want to look on the bright side of anything.

Hence why I said "I've no time for the Mail at all as a rule of thumb" - however it isn't accurate for people to claim that the Mail are accusing the show of being racist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I love the Discriminate! Discriminate! headline in the article. Made me laugh :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the limitations of sci-fi, fantasy, and super hero's is that they can't effectively deal with "real world issues".

The doctor can go back and eradicate slavery from time, but it will in no way change the real world. Isn't it more offensive to create a world were slavery never existed?
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good grief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This makes me really angry :mad: If I had the time, I'd write an essay to counter every one of those points, but it just seems so obviously ridiculous that it doesn't seem necessary.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to the original poster for this pathetic excuse to have yet another go at the Daily Mail. They are just reporting on the book and give quotes at the end to counter balance. Are the DM not allowed to report anything now that you don't like?
  • Percy HardyPercy Hardy Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe what I have just read! I am going to burn every bit of Doctor Who stuff I own because of my utter disgust, and the first thing I will burn is my Black Orchid DVD!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    That's a crazy article, and isn't the Doctor not supposed to meddle overly because of the rewriting of history etc......aliens etc are different because they shouldn't be there......

And so the writer and the whole 'Leela' primitve thing, so there are NO less advanced civilisations anywhere really.......crazy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the irony. The most racist mainstream newspaper in Britain accusing a show which is clearly opposed to Racism of being Racist. Really?

Might help if you actually read the article :rolleyes: But I suppose that wouldn't suit your own prejudices.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to the original poster for this pathetic excuse to have yet another go at the Daily Mail. They are just reporting on the book and give quotes at the end to counter balance. Are the DM not allowed to report anything now that you don't like?

A fan of the daily fail then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with one thing the academics say, and that is the trivialisation of Hitler in Series 6. Having said that, however, I am being a bit of a hypocrite as I love the Daleks and we all know that they were inspired by the Nazis and "exterminate" from the Holocaust. (I also see nothing wrong with John Bennett in Talons - he was brilliant in the role, and that's part of what acting is about, people dressing up pretending to be others.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    A fan of the daily fail then ?

No, just a fan of getting the facts right.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just a fan of getting the facts right.

They aren't facts though, its just publicity for a book written by academics which is talking nonsense about a topic which shouldn't be researched. As for the daily mail yes they manipulate information to make readers see their point of view just like other newspapers. You should honestly see the articles about the EU bonus cap and compare it to the BBC news article.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    They aren't facts though, its just publicity for a book written by academics which is talking nonsense about a topic which shouldn't be researched. As for the daily mail yes they manipulate information to make readers see their point of view just like other newspapers. You should honestly see the articles about the EU bonus cap and compare it to the BBC news article.

Not sure what you mean by that last line, are you saying the BBC has no agenda or slant on things when it comes to news and/or politics?
    I'm just struggling to believe that a group of supposed 'academics' have spent time watching 50 years worth of a TV sci-fi adventure series and found a few things they don't like and think it worthy of a book, ffs. Never mind the Doctor, what planet do they live on?:confused:
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think that if someone singles out a few events or characters in any program or film, they could interpret anything as Racist.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    And star trek has,used the word

Ne*ro in some eps.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having studied media at uni I learnt that most academic look at TV or film is a load of bullsh*t. They look at the TV show at angles to support their views. The book seems to be a highly biased view doctor who. Obviously it's hard to know without reading all the book. The daily mail may have just taken out a few quotes from it an ignored the rest of the book that gives balance.

Academics read too much into everything they think 'why was this included? Was it to show time lords are better than everyone else?' Well no it was probably used to move the story along... TV makers don't concentrate on how it's perceived they're interested in telling a good story. They'll leave that job to compliance to clear the programme fit for broadcast. Some TV shows do tell sub messages in their show but they're not trying to show racism! In fact I believe doctor who to be very anti racist, that's how I perceive it anyway. I'd go into it more but I don't think writing an academic essay on my iPhone and being slightly hungover will be a good idea...
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that last line, are you saying the BBC has no agenda or slant on things when it comes to news and/or politics?
    I'm just struggling to believe that a group of supposed 'academics' have spent time watching 50 years worth of a TV sci-fi adventure series and found a few things they don't like and think it worthy of a book, ffs. Never mind the Doctor, what planet do they live on?:confused:

No I meant the BBC news article mentioned the banks legal advice saying it breaches EU Law (Human Rights Act), neither the daily mail or the telegraph mentioned this.