Options

The Last of Us Story Thread - CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• Options
    DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the game, no that's a lie, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED it.

If I ever hear something that resembles a clicker sound I think I might automatically look for cover :p
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I like the way they just kept the infected at the three stages:

runner > clicker > bloater

all of the infected suffering and trying to fighti the disease to no avail.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardest parts were definitely when they combined the runners with the clickers.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I watched the movie version. Someone had edited it together in three parts online. It's superb. Many of these games have better storylines and character development than actual films these days
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the movie version. Someone had edited it together in three parts online. It's superb. Many of these games have better storylines and character development than actual films these days

I've watched those too. Also watched the cinematics from the main menu a few times which is something I don't think I've ever done before in a game.

I'll be surprised if they don't make a movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A movie wouldn't have the same effect.
    A game gives you a lot of time to build naunce emotions; a movie needs to be more obvious in a shorter space of time, with more dialog. A TV series gives you time, but it is prone to cliff-hangers and a set run time.

In the case of The Last of Us, it is the environmental gameplay settings that tell a story, as well as the optional interactions/collectables.

Just saying that a video game has its strengths as a story telling medium.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    If The Last Of Us did get turned into a live action then i see it more as a TV series then a movie theres no way they could pack so much into a film that TLOU has got.

Anyway i dont see it happening the Last of Us is is perfect and it does not need an adaption.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    What would everyone like to see in a sequel? With Ellie believing there's dozens more like her, would she want to meet up & try & start a new community from scratch?
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Sony registered the Trademarks for sequels but I hope Naughty Dog don't make a sequel. It's an amazing stand alone and they should leave it at that.

Even if the new games share the same universe the current ending of Joel being selfish and denying mankind for a cure is less powerful if we join another group who also have an 'infected' or we fast forward in time with Ellie.

The ending is perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    What would everyone like to see in a sequel? With Ellie believing there's dozens more like her, would she want to meet up & try & start a new community from scratch?

Naughty Dog have said that they will not be continuing the Ellie/Joel story and I hope that they stick to their word. Personally I thought it was a perfect ending and should be left at that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they do decide to make a sequal, they'll probably do a Resident Evil and introduce new main characters, with the orginal characters just referenced.
    But I too don't want to see a sequal at all. The story is perfect as a stand-alone masterpiece. Why does everything sucessful need a sequal for??

I am on my second playthrough, and while Joel is obviously isn't the worst guy in the world, he definetely has a selfish steak in him. His brother Tommy, comes across as far more level-headed. Lots of interesting things you pick up, upon a second playthrough. Including how close Marlene and Ellie were.....

Having said that I still think Joel made the only right decision he could.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the ending made it pretty clear she doesn't believe him tbh.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I am on my second playthrough, and while Joel is obviously isn't the worst guy in the world, he definetely has a selfish steak in him. His brother Tommy, comes across as far more level-headed. Lots of interesting things you pick up, upon a second playthrough. Including how close Marlene and Ellie were.....

Yeah and although it's never outright stated what happened between Joel and Tommy you can get a pretty good idea if you read between the lines - e.g. Joel telling Ellie he's been on both sides of it with regards to the hunters, and then later on the scene with Joel and Tommy where Joel said that he kept him alive, and Tommy replying that he's only got nightmares from it and it wasn't worth it.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just completed the game, so many things going through my mind at the moment. I'll start by saying that I loved it, and that I am sad the story has ended.

I don't know what to feel about the ending, there was no guarantee that the fireflies would find a cure from Ellie, and I think Joel clung to that to justify what he did in the hospital. It shows him to be incredibly selfish, but at the same time, I understand because I went full on Rambo to get to Ellie, I mowed those guys down with a flame thrower. I did not want Ellie to die, but it might have been for the greater good. I don't think she knew that she would die, I think she talked about giving blood at one point, maybe they told her before they put her under and she agreed, we'll never know.

So Joel, has found something to live for, and by keeping her, he has taken her reason to survive, she wanted to be the cure, and that is what she had to push her on, now she just has Joel, who lied to her face. I get the feeling she knew he was lying, but has nothing else left, so thier relationship is damaged because of that. It's sad, because he loves her, but in the end he is almost the villian of the game. I can only imagine she will either let it go, or grow to resent him, which is just heartbreaking after the bond they have made.

I did shed a tear when Joel was carrying Ellie out of the hospital, it's probably the only time they had music like that in the whole game. It was so understated the entire time, then they let it take over in that one scene, it really got me. They got me all emotional from the girraffe scene and it just kept going right through to the end. Just an amazing experience.

On paper the story is nothing new, it's been done so many time's before, yet here I am writing paragraphs on it, it just made me care about the characters in a way that doesn't happen very often. When you play as Ellie, I was stressing, her death animations were just horrible, I loved playing as her, she is very capable but I still felt weak and in serious trouble without Joel, it was a great surprise to get to play as her.

Also David, nutcase rapist David, is played by Nolan North!
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »

Also David, nutcase rapist David, is played by Nolan North!

Nolan North is a very talented voice actor, he also voices The Penguin in Arkham City. It's just a shame so many games want him to do his 'Nathan Drake' voice, which as I understand is his real voice.
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just met Henry the black fellow... how close am I to the end?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Thanks for the mention :D

I loved it, at first i thought it was going to be a by the numbers game when at the start you just followed Tommy in the prologue and then you followed Tess for a while

On friday i played up until the graveyard with Billy, then unusually for a naughty dog game i have no major urge to carry on so i played a Zelda and just ignored the game

Yesterday i decided to give a go and carry on and see if i could see the 10/10 it was getting and boy is this game great when it let's you handle everything, trying to sneak past clickers only to be attacked by runners you didn't know about, making a shiv on the fly hoping the clicker in front of you doesn't turn around

The story is fantastic, from the early losses of Sarah and Tess, the not knowing whether billy is crazy when you are traveling with him, meeting sam and henry and what happens to them (and i noticed she stole the toy before we left the shop :D) finding where is Tommy and how he is, the wonderfully handled sub plot with David in the small town and the final journey to the hospital, every aspect was perfect

I'm wouldn't rate it out of 10 just yet i want to see how tedious the multiplayer becomes first

I'm on my second play through and watched out for this last night. It's funny :)

There's also a funny bit of banter between Joel and Ellie in the hotel if you stand behind the check-in desk.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I just met Henry the black fellow... how close am I to the end?

Miles to go! If you got to 'load game' it'll tell you what percent you are through
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miles to go! If you got to 'load game' it'll tell you what percent you are through

Is that story percentage, or percentage of complete game including collectables?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Is that story percentage, or percentage of complete game including collectables?

Story only
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting articke on Kotaku with Neil Druckmann, it looks like more Joel and Ellie is not out of the question.

http://kotaku.com/who-would-star-in-a-last-of-us-sequel-creators-wont-r-586791127

They could just be talking about the DLC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys haven't read the thread as I don't wanna read any spoilers but just wanted to say I got the game today. Graphically I think it's mind blowing and I've only had time to play a bit of it so far but what I have played seems amazing and I can see myself getting hooked on this game :)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really shouldn't come anywhere near this thread until you've finished the game!

The normal thread is here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1831962 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody lip read?

I'd really like to know what Joel says to Ellie in the cut scene where they are reunited after she kills David.

The sound cuts out and there are no subtitles but he's still speaking. I'm not sure if this is how ND meant it to be or if it's a bug.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to reference Call of Duty (a franchise i still like) when talking about story in games

But does anyone wish this had a type of dynamic story telling like Black Ops 2?

I mean in Black Ops, doing certain things changes the game slightly, you could accidentally burn a characters face and they'd joke about it in the next mission, simple stuff really

They could of included stuff like that in Last of Us, what if the part where its revealed Sam has been bitten and then Henry kills himself, changed depending on who the saved first when the runners jump on them during the sniping part, other stuff could be done as well that didn't affect the plot but would still change events