The Last of Us Story Thread - CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I ran into a bug last night on the dam. It was the bit where the bandits had got in to where ellie was and you were to cross a bridge fighting about 6 guys. I had killed them all but the set piece wouldnt kick in. I hunted and ran everywhere but nothing. Had to restart the section whereby it worked that time

That happened to me too!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Lots of easter eggs, has anyone noticed the TVs?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought this game and damn
    Sarah getting shot
    was flipping emotional.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Just bought this game and damn
    Sarah getting shot
    was flipping emotional.

This is the spoiler thread ;)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the spoiler thread ;)

Lol i just realised haha that'll teach me to post whilst half looking at something else.
    I'm still very early in the game just got past the part where Robert gets shot and you meet up with a member of Firefly. So far i'm loving it.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the game, very jumpy in parts and tense. I completed it but I wasn't sure if I liked the ending, the last sentence where he lied, I may not have got it, but I felt that a game built on the relationship between them learning to open up, I didn't understand it.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Watching I Am Legend just now for the first time & am seeing the similarities
  • bob856bob856 Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    hsellors wrote: »
    I loved the game, very jumpy in parts and tense. I completed it but I wasn't sure if I liked the ending, the last sentence where he lied, I may not have got it, but I felt that a game built on the relationship between them learning to open up, I didn't understand it.

He had to lie otherwise Ellie would torture herself in the belief that she could have been the cure to save mankind. Joels lie was the only way he could think of to stop her from eventually ending up dead on an operating table in a fruitless attempt to find a vaccine. The last line of course was not the lie but the "okay" response from Ellie which seemed to suggest that she had enough faith in him to believe he had done the right thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob856 wrote: »
    He had to lie otherwise Ellie would torture herself in the belief that she could have been the cure to save mankind. Joels lie was the only way he could think of to stop her from eventually ending up dead on an operating table in a fruitless attempt to find a vaccine. The last line of course was not the lie but the "okay" response from Ellie which seemed to suggest that she had enough faith in him to believe he had done the right thing.

Yeah I got why he did it, but I just didn't like that it ended on her asking him to be honest, and even though it was for the best, he wasn't. It could just have ended without that.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it ended how a good film should end, leaves you with more questions than answers and wanting more.

If all lose ends where neatly tied up, with either ellie dead or joel fully explaining what happened with the fireflies or a cure found, that would have being more final.

There are so many ways a sequel could go, hopefully well get to see what happens next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it ended how a good film should end, leaves you with more questions than answers and wanting more.

If all lose ends where neatly tied up, with either ellie dead or joel fully explaining what happened with the fireflies or a cure found, that would have being more final.

There are so many ways a sequel could go, hopefully well get to see what happens next.

A sequel would be awesome! But I'd like to think Ellie and Joel could be happy in the commune with no infected or military. Or is that wishful thinking!?

I miss playing it.

If there was a sequel do you think it would be made for ps3 or 4?
  • bob856bob856 Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImvQs0fPJqU

Don't think this video has been posted but its a really good examination of the game focusing on the ending and The Lie. His version of why he lied is different to mine.

There will almost certainly be another TLOU, the only thing the creative director has said is that if Ellie and Joel are back it will not involve the fireflies/looking for a cure. That story is finished. I would guess that once the final sales figures are in TLOU will overtake Uncharted to become NDs premier game franchise, which isn't bad after only one game.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completed the game on Saturday.

I must admit that despite feeling really protective of Ellie throughout the game I struggled with the hospital part. I just kept feeling that I shouldn't be killing all these people to get her (yes, I know it's only a game but I got emotionally involved ok! :) ). When I got to the operating theatre I actually put my gun away and waited, hoping that the doctors would move away from the table or that Joel would decide to stop. I then tried to just knock the guy with the scalpel out but Joel instead decides to ram it through his eye! Suffice to say I then grabbed Ellie and ran out.

I did like that there was no easy conclusion to the story and that Joel's inability to lose another person he loved means that mankind had to potentially suffer more.
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completed it this week. Excellent game. Came across one funny bug. Winter with Ellie on horse distracting Davids group she was shotcat as the horse ran into a fence then they went through the fence and continued to run through the landscape. Was fun for a bit but then restarted. Lol
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised nobody has posted yet about the DLC announcements.

Two multiplayer packs with a single-player expansion - including a new character - to be released sometime around Christmas/New Year.

I love the multiplayer in this but not overly interested in the packs, but the single-player will be a must-buy.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batesy2000 wrote: »
    Completed it this week. Excellent game. Came across one funny bug. Winter with Ellie on horse distracting Davids group she was shotcat as the horse ran into a fence then they went through the fence and continued to run through the landscape. Was fun for a bit but then restarted. Lol

I had a funny bug for a while where Joel's energy bar wouldn't display and damage wasn't registered - making him basically invincible.
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Just completed this game. Amazing!!!

Feel kinda sad that it's finished now, can't remember the last time I cared about the characters as much as I did with this. I'm torn if there should be a sequel because I had so much fun with this and love seeing Joel and Ellie together and want to see more, but then it's great as it is and maybe doesn't need to have more added.

I feel the game should be bigger than it is too. I hope it's sold well because it deserves to, it's just not one of those games I hear spoken about much. Definitely one of the best games I've played.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Just completed this game. Amazing!!!

Feel kinda sad that it's finished now, can't remember the last time I cared about the characters as much as I did with this. I'm torn if there should be a sequel because I had so much fun with this and love seeing Joel and Ellie together and want to see more, but then it's great as it is and maybe doesn't need to have more added.

I feel the game should be bigger than it is too. I hope it's sold well because it deserves to, it's just not one of those games I hear spoken about much. Definitely one of the best games I've played.

It's funny, I felt just the same when I completed it, I've seen plenty of others say they felt a bit sad after they had finished it too. It says a lot about the characters, the premise isn't exactly original, but the execution is just phenomenal. I shed a tear during the last part, it was so emotional, I just loved it.

I started a 2nd playthrough on Survivor straight after i'd finished, I would definitely recommend trying Survivor difficulty, it's suprising how much you will change your play style. I have lent the game to my brother, and I already want it back to play new game +.

I think it sold really well, about 3.4 million which is great for a new ip and a console exclusive. The Naughty Dog name carries a lot of weight now. They could release anything and it would still sell well, just stick 'from the creators of uncharted' in every ad, sorted.
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    It's funny, I felt just the same when I completed it, I've seen plenty of others say they felt a bit sad after they had finished it too. It says a lot about the characters, the premise isn't exactly original, but the execution is just phenomenal. I shed a tear during the last part, it was so emotional, I just loved it.

I started a 2nd playthrough on Survivor straight after i'd finished, I would definitely recommend trying Survivor difficulty, it's suprising how much you will change your play style. I have lent the game to my brother, and I already want it back to play new game +.

I think it sold really well, about 3.4 million which is great for a new ip and a console exclusive. The Naughty Dog name carries a lot of weight now. They could release anything and it would still sell well, just stick 'from the creators of uncharted' in every ad, sorted.

I rarely seem to play games a second time but think I will with this. However I played it on normal so would have to complete it on hard to do that. When I finished this I just had to see what everyone else felt about this and see peoples opinions, I don't normally do that so this game has definitely left an impression on me.

This game really does drag you in emotionally. When playing it I was thinking to myself it's like a film, in the sense that you care for the them.

I feel Resident Evil could take a few notes from this too as the game did make me jump quite a few times too, which a game hasn't made me do for a while. The atmosphere of the game and graphics were great.

Exploring was fun too, and when in buildings I felt that when I opened a door a clicker or runner could jump out at any time so kept me on my feet.

It shows that they can still do horror games, as some 'horror' games seem to be more action based.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    I rarely seem to play games a second time but think I will with this. However I played it on normal so would have to complete it on hard to do that. When I finished this I just had to see what everyone else felt about this and see peoples opinions, I don't normally do that so this game has definitely left an impression on me.

This game really does drag you in emotionally. When playing it I was thinking to myself it's like a film, in the sense that you care for the them.

I feel Resident Evil could take a few notes from this too as the game did make me jump quite a few times too, which a game hasn't made me do for a while. The atmosphere of the game and graphics were great.

Exploring was fun too, and when in buildings I felt that when I opened a door a clicker or runner could jump out at any time so kept me on my feet.

It shows that they can still do horror games, as some 'horror' games seem to be more action based.

Oh you don't have to play hard first, Survivor unlocks after 1 playthrough, I also played on normal first. I was a bit worried that it would be too hard, but because I had played it once, I knew what to expect and it was challanging but not annoying, ok maybe I did get annoyed at the big fight in Pittsburgh, just after the hotel, I was thrilled when I did that.

I think it does horror and suspence really well, it has a nice mix of action and stealth so it doesn't feel repetitve at all. The scariest bit has to be the hotel when the power goes out, it really reminded me of Resident Evil 1/2. I just legged it and hoped for the best lol. I think I would have liked to take on clickers and hunters at the same time, maybe pick off enemies as they fight eachother. That is one thing the game didn't really explore, the two enemy types were kept pretty seperate.

I agree about the characters, the development of thier relationship was so well acted, it was totally believable. So that when Joel finally accepted Ellie it felt like a natural thing, I had been waiting for him to call her 'baby girl' when it finally happened I was so happy, but also stressed after the crap they had gone through, Winter was just both of them at thier lowest, it was tough going.

What did you think of the ending, I liked it but I was kind of torn about Joel's decision to lie. I think in the end, I was more concerned with thier relationship than the state of the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    4 play throughs in total
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Oh you don't have to play hard first, Survivor unlocks after 1 playthrough, I also played on normal first. I was a bit worried that it would be too hard, but because I had played it once, I knew what to expect and it was challanging but not annoying, ok maybe I did get annoyed at the big fight in Pittsburgh, just after the hotel, I was thrilled when I did that.

I think it does horror and suspence really well, it has a nice mix of action and stealth so it doesn't feel repetitve at all. The scariest bit has to be the hotel when the power goes out, it really reminded me of Resident Evil 1/2. I just legged it and hoped for the best lol. I think I would have liked to take on clickers and hunters at the same time, maybe pick off enemies as they fight eachother. That is one thing the game didn't really explore, the two enemy types were kept pretty seperate.

I agree about the characters, the development of thier relationship was so well acted, it was totally believable. So that when Joel finally accepted Ellie it felt like a natural thing, I had been waiting for him to call her 'baby girl' when it finally happened I was so happy, but also stressed after the crap they had gone through, Winter was just both of them at thier lowest, it was tough going.

What did you think of the ending, I liked it but I was kind of torn about Joel's decision to lie. I think in the end, I was more concerned with thier relationship than the state of the world.

Think I'll have to give that a try.

I really liked the ending. I feel the same as you, I think I cared more for their relationship, considering everything they'd been through, then potentially finding a cure. As there was no certainty that they would've definitely got a cure, which would have just led to her dying for nothing, I'm happy the way it ended. It could be seen as selfish, but I prefer the ending it had.

Oh and it was a nice surprise playing as Ellie, for some reason I really didn't expect it. I thought at the point it did happen it would've happened already so that was pretty cool.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is awesome: An improvised alternative ending, done after several mo-cap takes were shot for the operating theatre scene:

http://videogamerebellion.com/why-you-must-watch-the-last-of-us-alternate-ending-now/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XN7eoZr0Y
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Been playing this again over the past week and i still enjoy it :)

I really want to hear some DLC news soon I hope we get to see Tommy's story i think it would be good to see more of the world in the early stages of this outbreak and maybe see what exactly happened between Tommy and Joel.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying playing the remake on PS5. Have just reached the dam and I’m about 12 hours in as I’ve been taking it slow, enjoying exploring every inch of the new detailed environments and discovering bits I’ve never seen before, reading all the note etc. I never played the DLC so looking forward to seeing this for the first time.

I also never played the PS4 remaster so it’s been I while since I’ve played it. Even though I know what happens, I can’t remember the beat by beat story paths it takes to get to end.

Will try for the platinum in this but I know I’ve missed a few optional conversations and firefly pendants along the way.