Options

breaking bad : overrated?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I hate it how everyone has jumped on the BB band wagon! I preferred it when it was my own little indulgence. ..

I remember too whwn, back in the day, This Life was hardly known too. I used to love watching that series, then everyone jumped on board!

I loved This Life.

Egg has really grown up. He's killing zombies and everything now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire is boring, very boring. BB is the greatest TV show ever created.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    The quality of the Wire is orthogonal to the response from other viewers, and your enjoyment of it should be as well. If how other people receive it so greatly influences your judgement, then I have to question your discernment.

If you have to question the way people generally react to hype, and how that can then go on to damage reputation, I'd have to question your understanding of some of the more basic aspects of human nature.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire for the poor man.

Season 1 of The Wire was awesome but it went downhill pretty fast after that. Seasons 3, 4 & 5 were pretty poor.

In its 5 or 6 seasons Breaking Bad has often matched season 1 of The Wire for quality of storyline and plotting.

Maybe it's the big New Mexico desert or the fantastic blue sky of Albuquerque but the cinematography on Breaking Bad puts it in an entirely different league.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoys me how everyone is now loving this show. I loved it when no one knew
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. But you know it's still a little underground not being on terrestrial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I've said before I think it's a great show. The acting is terrific, the writing is phenomenal, but I don't think it's the greatest show ever to grace our screens. I remember watching season 1 and thinking to myself "this is going to get cancelled, it's too slow paced". I always enjoy being proven wrong and from about midway through season 2, it started to get really really good. I still think it is over hyped though. The moment anyone dares say anything against it, the fan ladyboy's start to have a fit, which is quite amusing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of The Wire, but i'm an even bigger fan of Breaking Bad. I've never understood this "it starts slow" claim. I was hooked from episode one way back when it was first shown on FX in the uk. It gripped me from then, and it's just got better with each season.

Depending on how it ends, it's probably my favourite show ever.
    This is ME to a tee! :D
    The whole thing but especially this last series has turned me into an emotional wreck because as well as how fantastically written it is, I am so invested in so many of the characters and without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it, they don't appear to be afraid to 'say goodbye' to anyone.
    People talk about the great acting abilities of Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul but as well as them there are SO MANY other GREAT actors/actresses in it!
    I know it has to end and I know it's going out at the VERY TOP of it's game but I am so unbelieveably sad that I will never watch these characters and the stories again for the first time! I swear I barely breath during the entire episode and god knows what is going to happen in the last episode!!!!!!!! I'm almost scared! :eek::cry::p

So, sorry about the waffle but NO, it is NOT overrated in any way shape or form. It is the PERFECT TV show from start to finish.

aaaaaand breath.... :D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    greatest tv show ever made

poor mans wire, man, now that is funny

It's not better than The Wire. Sorry, but it's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I respect everyone's opinion on tv shows, but that's what it is, an opinion. I personally prefer Breaking Bad, although I loved the Wire, The Sopranos etc. Breaking Bad has just got me in it's clutches and won't let go. I already feel emotional about it ending.
    Good god, I am SUCH a girl! :o
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member

But you were new to it yourself in April according to this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1817219 Trust me, a LOT of people knew about BB then! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    But you were new to it yourself in April according to this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1817219 Trust me, a LOT of people knew about BB then! :D

HAHA caught out! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pwned.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BUSTED!!

Yep, a lot of folk certainly did know about it back in April 2013 :D
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now that's funny. What a numpty. :D
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Hahaha, ouch!
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its only overrated to people who dont get it, the poor buggers.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Season 1 of The Wire was awesome but it went downhill pretty fast after that. Seasons 3, 4 & 5 were pretty poor.

In its 5 or 6 seasons Breaking Bad has often matched season 1 of The Wire for quality of storyline and plotting.

Maybe it's the big New Mexico desert or the fantastic blue sky of Albuquerque but the cinematography on Breaking Bad puts it in an entirely different league.

The Wire does everything better than Breaking Bad and on a larger scale and much more consistently. Imagine 'Heisenberg' in Baltimore, he'd have had that hat rammed down his throat and been shot in 5 minutes flat.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wire does everything better than Breaking Bad and on a larger scale and much more consistently. Imagine 'Heisenberg' in Baltimore, he'd have had that hat rammed down his throat and been shot in 5 minutes flat.

But that's kind of part of the point of BB. ABQ isn't anything like Baltimore and setting is just as important as the characters. Heisenberg becomes a big fish in a small pond and even then is out of his depth.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Especially when it suggests that Breaking Bad is somehow like The Wire, but just not as good. They couldn't be more different. The Wire was about the decline and fall of a city. Breaking Bad was about the strangely-simultaneous rise and fall of one human being. The latter was a far more interesting theme for me, and better executed. And not even The Wire's biggest fans think it "went out on top;" its last season was its worst. Breaking Bad has just steadily climbed to greater heights and is going out with a bang.

i know tears, was responding to the wire rules remarks about BB being a poor mans wire

i watched 40 minutes of the first episode of the wire( because I had heard so much about it)

i was bored shitless and sent it back to lovefilm

never felt that way about breaking bad though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Easy. He'd be the Greek.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/The_Wire_The_Greek.jpg
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

it is to me, it's all subjective dude, taste and discernment of the individual,

nothing is categorically better than something else other, than in some ones mind
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gus Frings is the Greek, Walter White would be dead on a corner with a hole in his hat and his head.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats true ive been well and truly owned, but however much it isnt on uk tv its pretty much gone mainstream now, its been advertised in the press and on tv adverts which has led to more people saying they like it
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats true ive been well and truly owned, but however much it isnt on uk tv its pretty much gone mainstream now, its been advertised in the press and on tv adverts which has led to more people saying they like it

It was mainstream last year and the year before that. The only difference between now and April is that people weren't talking about it quite as much in April because it wasn't currently on the air. They were talking about it plenty a year ago when it was on the air. That, plus it's a week from the series finale, so long time fans are taking their last chance to talk about it. But make no mistake, most of the audience has been watching it for longer than you. It isn't some new thing that the public just now discovered.